Katrina Damage

Gaviidae

PureX said:
I pretty much agree with all of this, except there seems to be the implication here that "they have to do it first". I don't agree with that.

There is no real incentive for whites, asians, and jews to change. While blacks don't HAVE to do it first in all practicality it's the only way it's going to happen.

Same with liberals and conservatives. While conservatives could be the first to decide to change their attitude about spending money on the urban poor in all practicality it isn't going to happen. Especially, since most of us agree that it's a waste of money to spend money on urban poor while they are still living lifestyles that keep them poor.

It may not be fair but those who have the most to gain are the one's who should be going first.

Gaviidae

PureX said:
The prejudice we feel and express, I think, has to do with our discomfort with people who act and think "different" from us, and we attach that discomfort to things like skin color and language and styles of dress, etc. We aren't really prejudiced against dark skin colors, or foreign accents, or certain styles of dress. That'd be stupid. But we are prejudiced against people who don't think and act like we do, and we do attach that prejudice to visual differences like skin color and cultural origin and styles of dress, etc. But people can't change their skin color, or their accents, or their cultural mannerisms, if we maintain this prejudice they will never be able to "fit in".

I agree with you and I really think we're mostly just using different words to say the same thing. What you describe is stereotyping but it is not racism. Racism is blacks are bad because they are black. Stereotyping is assuming a black is bad until you get to know them. The second has nothing to do with race it has to do with limited information. Our very nature is to make quick judgements of people.

Jesse Jackson has admitted he has fallen prey to stereotyping. He has seen a group of black men walking down the street and crossed to the other side (or did he just want to, I'm not sure doesn't matter). I don't think anyone would consider Jesse Jackson a racist (at least not a racist against blacks).

Gaviidae

BillyBob said:
It may be the business world that takes you out of poverty, but that world is not out of reach for blacks. You don't need a business degree to start a business. There are all sorts of ways to make money that require minimal skills.

Correct, you don't need any sort of business degree. You just need to act professional. Which, depending on the field you are in, means acting how PureX has described as "white".

It also helps a great deal to have a two parent family.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Just got back from playing for a Habitat for Humanity Dedication this afternoon in Nashville. There were 5 families receiving a home, interestingly 2 of them were from Iraq, 1 from Bosnia and 2 were black.

You wanna know who built and funded these houses?

White people.

Gaviidae

BillyBob said:
Just got back from playing for a Habitat for Humanity Dedication this afternoon in Nashville. There were 5 families receiving a home, interestingly 2 of them were from Iraq, 1 from Bosnia and 2 were black.

You wanna know who built and funded these houses?

White people.

Dang those white people!! Will they stop at nothing to oppress blacks? :madmad:

servent101

The second has nothing to do with race it has to do with limited information. Our very nature is to make quick judgements of people.

Jesse Jackson has admitted he has fallen prey to stereotyping. He has seen a group of black men walking down the street and crossed to the other side

There is a realization that one has to develop the logic for - that we can tell somewhat by the person's aura or contenance, their way of dressing, their general demeanor, the way we feel inside as to what and who this person "might be" - to limit ourselves to a colour of skin, or determin from the socitey in which the person is from, what to expect from that person - to label them is all in all just not fair to ourselves or to the person we are coming to determin the value of. All in all though, what determins a person's value is based on a higher outlook than what most people posess, and once one posseses this outlook - it then is the possesser that is blessed. To borrow words - To do no harm - that is worth striving for - to do no harm to someone just because we have a prejudice or stereotype... to have that -goal- will bless the person who tries for such a high ideal more than most would know. Either way, though, to learn how to read people correctly, Black, White, Asian - Whatever, some people one would be wise to cross over to the other side of the street, and yes in some neighbourhoods one would be wise to walk down the middle of the street - Being willing to develop some "second sight" into the nature of people, based on well thought out logic and observation, is not discrimination.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

PureX

Gaviidae said:
Racism is (believing that) blacks are bad because they are black. Stereotyping is assuming a black is bad until you get to know them. The second has nothing to do with race it has to do with limited information.
But it does. The moment we attach our discomfort with anyone who's different, to their skin color, it becomes a racial issue. In truth, I don't believe that white people are prejudiced against black skin. I think they're prejudiced against anyone who's perceived as "different" from them. But they attach that prejudice to the visual que of skin color, and then it does become racism. A black man can stop being "different" in many ways, but he can't stop having black skin. When white people don't realize that they're attaching their prejudice against anything "different" to the man's skin color, they putting him in a prejudiced position that he can't ever overcome, no matter how hard he tries to not be "different".

The only solution to this kind of prejudice is for the white people who practice it to understand that they are doing it, and to stop themselves. This is the aspect of racism that white people have to address because no one else can.
Gaviidae said:
Our very nature is to make quick judgements of people.
Yes, but we can learn to catch ourselves doing this, and to set asside our quick (and often race-based) judgments until we know the person as an individual.
Gaviidae said:
Jesse Jackson has admitted he has fallen prey to stereotyping. He has seen a group of black men walking down the street and crossed to the other side (or did he just want to, I'm not sure doesn't matter). I don't think anyone would consider Jesse Jackson a racist (at least not a racist against blacks).
We all fall pray to it. It's a natural human inclination. But that doesn't make it OK. At least Jesse Jackson can admit to it. That's more than many of us are willing to do.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
PureX said:
Yes, but we can learn to catch ourselves doing this, and to set asside our quick (and often race-based) judgments until we know the person as an individual.

That's pretty hard to do when you see mobs of them looting and rioting.

We all fall pray to it. It's a natural human inclination. But that doesn't make it OK. At least Jesse Jackson can admit to it. That's more than many of us are willing to do.

The person I see in denial the most here is YOU.

PureX

BillyBob said:
That's pretty hard to do when you see mobs of them looting and rioting.
But there isn't one single black person anywhere near you who's looting or rioting. Why are you so focussed on those few who were, in New Orleans, when they have so little to do with you?

Gaviidae

PureX said:
But there isn't one single black person anywhere near you who's looting or rioting. Why are you so focussed on those few who were, in New Orleans, when they have so little to do with you?

Near me the few here are are either doctors/lawyers/high middle class or gangbangers. And it's very obvious which are which.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Gaviidae said:
Near me the few here are are either doctors/lawyers/high middle class or gangbangers. And it's very obvious which are which.
Yup. The doctors pay lots of taxes, the lawyers and gangbangers don't. :chuckle:

Morpheus

BillyBob said:
New Orleans isn't the only place they riot.
BB, you aren't anal retentive; you're an anus. How many of those in New Orleans have you helped? How many have you talked to? My wife just spent the last weekend as a first-responder helping the evacuees deal with their ordeal. She can't give specifics, but when the individuals give permission she is able to tell their stories without names. She, as well as all the others like her, were amazed at the strength and heroism exhibited by those who were stuck there. Most were amazing people who performed amazing feats. They didn't trash each other; they were similarly amazed at each others strength while being extremely humble about their own efforts. The vast majority of them were black, but there were several whites mixed in. Most were stuck in the city, but several chose to remain because they refused to leave so they could help others who couldn't get out. Some even returned to the city immediately after the storm passed to assist those who were still there.

But all you know how to do is sit on you bulbous backside and throw aspersions at people you don't even know. Why don't you just shave your head, get a swastika tattooed on you arm and get to burning crosses? Better yet, why don't you get off that leaden butt of yours and get your hands dirty helping. Maybe then you would find out that there's more to people than what you read in your white supremecist literature.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Morpheus said:
BB, you aren't anal retentive; you're an anus.

For pointing out the truth???

How many of those in New Orleans have you helped?

Hard to say, we donated food and clothing but I have no idea how many people benifitted from our donations.

How many have you talked to?

I haven't met a single displaced New Orleander, but I would suspect that there are more than a few here In Tennessee.

But all you know how to do is sit on you bulbous backside and throw aspersions at people you don't even know.

I don't need to know them to condemn looting, rioting, arsen and murder. Do you condemn murderers without ever meeting them?

Why don't you just shave your head, get a swastika tattooed on you arm and get to burning crosses?

I'm too busy posting at TOL for such activities.

Better yet, why don't you get off that leaden butt of yours and get your hands dirty helping.

You don't know what I have done to help. :nono:

Maybe then you would find out that there's more to people than what you read in your white supremecist literature.

What page would that be on? :poly:

Gaviidae

PureX said:
But it does. The moment we attach our discomfort with anyone who's different, to their skin color, it becomes a racial issue. In truth, I don't believe that white people are prejudiced against black skin. I think they're prejudiced against anyone who's perceived as "different" from them.

But as we already discussed Asians do not suffer the same prejudice as blacks.

Also I do not believe it is simply the skin color. Blacks in suits (that aren't in courtrooms) are perceived differently than blacks in gangbanger clothes. When I worked in downtown Seattle during the day walking around the streets I never noticed blacks. They were there, they simply blended in because they were also business people. In the evenings, if I worked late, I did start to notice blacks. They were dressed different and acted different.

I will admit it's a different problem out here than in New Orleans or the south. I can't really say how it is down there. Here we meet so few blacks that it's easy to reinforce stereotypes. The problem is when a black man blends in you just see a man. When a black man acts differently you see a black man. So ironically, the less racist you are the more you stereotype races.

I disagree that it is important to recognize it. And I disagree there is any way to stop ourselves. If I see a group of black kids walking into a movie theater, if I understand I'm upset because they're black it doesn't change anything. My stereotype (often reinforced) tells me that this will probably turn into a negative experience at the theater. How does recognizing it help any? When I interview someone for a job I may recognize that I'm stereotyping them but all other things being equal if they show signs of acting black I won't hire them.

In my opinion, ebonics was one of the worst things to happen to the black community since the '60s. We now have affirmation that blacks don't want to act "white" and an excuse to make fun of them and look down at them. It's not about racism it's about forming a different culture and then expecting the more successful culture to accept you as equals.[/quote]

PureX said:

Most people can admit to it. Doesn't change anything. I still get nervous if I see a group of men walking on my side of the street wearing hip hop clothes. Doesn't matter the color of their skin but it is most likely to be black.

Morpheus

BillyBob said:
For pointing out the truth???
No; for assuming you know the truth without ever having "experienced" it. Reading slanted literature doesn't count.
BillyBob said:
Hard to say, we donated food and clothing but I have no idea how many people benifitted from our donations.
It's good that you gave donations, but that doesn't expose you to any reality like handing those donations to them would have.
BillyBob said:
I haven't met a single displaced New Orleander, but I would suspect that there are more than a few here In Tennessee.
I'm not a first responder and I'm disabled, but I have met several in Indiana. Funny what a little effort can do.
BillyBob said:
I don't need to know them to condemn looting, rioting, arsen and murder. Do you condemn murderers without ever meeting them?
You can condemn looting, ioting, arson and murder all you want and I would say nothing. When you start grouping an entire race and stereotyping them as looters, rioters, arsonists and murderers then you are a racist.
BillyBob said:
I'm too busy posting at TOL for such activities.
So if you had more time you would get that head shaved and that tattoo?
BillyBob said:
You don't know what I have done to help. :nono:I just know that you don't have much knowledge about blacks or the evacuees.
BillyBob said:
What page would that be on? :poly:
I didn't know they had page numbers in brochures.

PureX

Morpheus said:
BB, you aren't anal retentive; you're an anus. How many of those in New Orleans have you helped? How many have you talked to? My wife just spent the last weekend as a first-responder helping the evacuees deal with their ordeal. She can't give specifics, but when the individuals give permission she is able to tell their stories without names. She, as well as all the others like her, were amazed at the strength and heroism exhibited by those who were stuck there. Most were amazing people who performed amazing feats. They didn't trash each other; they were similarly amazed at each others strength while being extremely humble about their own efforts. The vast majority of them were black, but there were several whites mixed in. Most were stuck in the city, but several chose to remain because they refused to leave so they could help others who couldn't get out. Some even returned to the city immediately after the storm passed to assist those who were still there.
I heard a long interview on the radio with a New Orleans cop who had been there from the beginning (and is still there) and he said much the same thing. He was truly moved by the way the vast majority of the people who were in the city during and after the hurricane helped each other, and did not become selfish and violent and self-destructive. He said over and over that it was only maybe 1% of the people there that were behaving like idiots. And frankly, that 1% was very likely behaving like idiots before the hurricane.

I am convinced that most people are really good when they can see what the right thing to do is. And this has nothing at all to do with what color their skin is or what religion they are.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Morpheus said:
No; for assuming you know the truth without ever having "experienced" it.

There sre all sorts of truths that I have not experienced, it doesn't make them any less true.

Reading slanted literature doesn't count.

I know, and yet I continue reading your posts......

It's good that you gave donations, but that doesn't expose you to any reality like handing those donations to them would have.

What's your point? :confused:

I'm not a first responder and I'm disabled, but I have met several in Indiana.

So?

Funny what a little effort can do.

:yawn:

You can condemn looting, ioting, arson and murder all you want and I would say nothing.

Then what's your problem, Pops?

When you start grouping an entire race and stereotyping them as looters, rioters, arsonists and murderers then you are a racist.

I did no such thing.

I just know that you don't have much knowledge about blacks or the evacuees.

You have no idea what I know.

I didn't know they had page numbers in brochures.

It wouldn't help you anyway.

PureX

Gaviidae said:
But as we already discussed Asians do not suffer the same prejudice as blacks.
Yes, but we've also addressed some of the possible reasons for this, too. Their skin color is not significantly different from most white Americans, and so it does not become a visual cue for their being "different". Asians also tend to come from cultures that strongly emphasize subverting the personality of the individual in favor of the needs of the collective, and this is reflected in their cultural mannerisms. Remember that the heart of our prejudice against other people is based on our fear of their differences. If they tend to behave in a very subservient manner, we will tend not to feel so threatened by their being different from us, and so they will tend to illicit a less prejudiced responce from us as a consequence.
Gaviidae said:
Also I do not believe it is simply the skin color. Blacks in suits (that aren't in courtrooms) are perceived differently than blacks in gangbanger clothes.
Of course. The man in the suit is obviously trying to "fit into" his society. The suit is a sign of his trying not to be "different", and therefor of his intention not to be threatening. The gangbanger is doing just the opposite. His dress and mannerisms are designed to threaten. He has already placed himself outside of society at large and overtly identifies himself with a criminal sub-culture and is proud of it. We have good reason to fear him because his threats are not empty. While we have little reason to fear the man in the suit, because it's unlikely that he is a threat.

Unfortunately, when we see a black skinned 'threat' on TV or on the street, we attach that threat to the color of his skin, so much so that even when he puts on a suit we don't entirely trust him, as we would trust a white-skinned man in the same suit. (This is what BillyBob is trying to do with his constantly reminding us that the looters in New Orleans were black skinned. He is attaching their criminality to their skin color.) This is a prejudice that the black man can't overcome, because he can't change the color of his skin. And this is a prejudice that remains an obstacle to his joining society that white people don't have before them. It's an unfair prejudice based on the color of his skin. In a word, it's racism.
Gaviidae said:
Here we meet so few blacks that it's easy to reinforce stereotypes. The problem is when a black man blends in you just see a man. When a black man acts differently you see a black man. So ironically, the less racist you are the more you stereotype races.
I think we always see a 'black' man. But if we don't feel threatened by what we see, then we can treat him like any other man. The trouble is that the threat WE feel or don't feel usually isn't the fault of the black man in front of us. So he can't really do anything about it. He can dress and talk and act "white" (why should he have to?), but he's still not white. And he can't make us stop attaching our fears to his skin color. Only we can do that.

You say that you don't attach any fear to skin color, and that your fear of black people is based only on the actual threat they present, but I'm not sure I really believe you. I think we are all racially prejudiced to a greater and lesser degree.
Gaviidae said:
I disagree that it is important to recognize it.
It's important to recognize it because we are hurting people by practicing racial prejudice against them, and it should be important to us that we don't do that. The only way to stop doing it is to first recognize that we do it, and try to catch ourselves doing it in time to stop ourselves from acting on it.
Gaviidae said:
And I disagree there is any way to stop ourselves.
We'll never be perfect, but we could certainly be better. Things are already much better than they were in America 40, or 80, or 120 years ago, regarding racism.
Gaviidae said:
If I see a group of black kids walking into a movie theater, if I understand I'm upset because they're black it doesn't change anything.
It would if you would also understand that the color of their skin is unreasonably making you uncomfortable - that you are perceiving them unfairly as a theat just because of their race.
Gaviidae said:
My stereotype (often reinforced) tells me that this will probably turn into a negative experience at the theater. How does recognizing it help any? When I interview someone for a job I may recognize that I'm stereotyping them but all other things being equal if they show signs of acting black I won't hire them.
That's because you think "acting black" means acting bad. You are racist. And because you are racist, when a black man comes to you looking for a job, he is confronted with the obstacle of your fear and prejudice; that you have attached to the color of his skin, and are therefor holding against him without even knowing him.

He knows this. He's been tripped up by this time and time and time again in his efforts to become a successful and respected member of society. Is it really any wonder that he might finally become so discouraged and disgusted by this unreasonable fear and prejudice against him that he'd just quit trying, and join the sub-culture of those other folks who also got disgusted and gave up?

That black gangbanger on the corner that you so fear was in part created BY YOUR FEAR. And by the prejudice that your fears have attached to his skin color. He believes that you will never let him into your society, and he's decided that you are now his enemy. And in a way, he's right. You won't let him in and you are his enemy. So why should he care about your laws, and respect your person and property? How have you shown that you respect him or his?

Hatred breeds hatred, and racial hatred breeds racial hatred. Fortunately, the problem is not nearly that extreme, yet. And in fact I think things are slowly getting better. But we need to keep reminding ourselves of our own part in it.
Gaviidae said:
In my opinion, ebonics was one of the worst things to happen to the black community since the '60s. We now have affirmation that blacks don't want to act "white" and an excuse to make fun of them and look down at them. It's not about racism it's about forming a different culture and then expecting the more successful culture to accept you as equals.
Perhaps if we'd let them into the culture at large, as we have with so many other white immigrant groups, they wouldn't be harking back to their cultural ancestry. We don't see the Irish, or German, or Italian Americans harking back to their roots. That's because they're fully invested Americans, and they know it.
Gaviidae said:
Most people can admit to it. Doesn't change anything. I still get nervous if I see a group of men walking on my side of the street wearing hip hop clothes. Doesn't matter the color of their skin but it is most likely to be black.
Nothing ever changes if we just don't care. The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. If I were to look into my own heart and find that I simply didn't care that I'm hurting someone else, I would be horrified, and then saddened beyond all tears.