Katrina Damage

koban

Gosh, somebody call Purex quick! Maybe he doesn't speak for all blacks. :chuckle:

I still feel guilty, though :rolleyes:

Gaviidae

koban said:
Gosh, somebody call Purex quick! Maybe he doesn't speak for all blacks. :chuckle:

PureX is black? :doh: Here I was treating him like a regular person. I guess I should have been treating him badly instead. :hammer:

koban

Now, before this gets out of hand, I never said Purex is black, I don't care if he's black, yellow, white or plaid (although I'd drive aways to look at him if he was plaid). :D

Gaviidae

koban said:
But does he feel that all whites are de facto racists? :think:

Only if they look down at kids who dress sloppy, speak in ebonics, and look like they're high. Unless they want to hang around men like these they're racist. :think:

koban

Gaviidae said:
Only if they look down at kids who dress sloppy, speak in ebonics, and look like they're high. Unless they want to hang around men like these they're racist. :think:

Or gay, maybe? :rotfl:

HisLight

Dave Miller said:
As Chris Rock said:

"We've all heard the question, why didn't these people just leave when they had the chance? But now we realize that not everybody can just jump into their SUVs and drive to a nice hotel.

These people depend on public transportation, and these people can't afford a nice hotel, because some of them work there..."
:doh:

Do they not have buses that would carry people out of New Orleans? I am sure that they likely had both bus and train service New Orleans. I do not recall hearing about a stampede of people who were turned away in either case. I understand it takes money to buy a ticket. I saw a number of the po' folk that got stranded smoking cigarettes. I am fairly certain that they didn't acquire that habit post Katrina. I am also fairly certain that if you spent money on cigs rather than saving up enough to have an emergency exit in the event a hurricane comes to visit, you need to rethink your priorities.

I am not saying that they ought to have been abandoned by the local, state and federal government. I am saying that their expectation that someone else would be responsible for their safety was misguided.

Last edited:

Morpheus

HisLight said:
Do they not have buses that would carry people out of New Orleans? I am sure that they likely had both bus and train service New Orleans. I do not recall hearing about a stampede of people who were turned away in either case. I understand it takes money to buy a ticket. I saw a number of the po' folk that got stranded smoking cigarettes. I am fairly certain that they didn't acquire that habit post Katrina. I am also fairly certain that if you spent money on cigs rather than saving up enough to have an emergency exit in the event a hurricane comes to visit, you need to rethink your priorities.

I am not saying that they ought to have been abandoned by the local, state and federal government. I am saying that their expectation that someone else would be responsible for their safety was misguided.
Since FEMA had never developed an evacuation plan for New Orleans after two years of discussing it, (they kinda left the locals out of the loop in these discussions), the city of New Orleans had developed their own evacuation plan. In this plan they anticipated in advance that about 100,000 people would not be able to evacuate for whatever reasons. This plan included the Superdome as a last-ditch shelter for those people.

Gaviidae

HisLight said:
Do they not have buses that would carry people out of New Orleans? I am sure that they likely had both bus and train service New Orleans.

According to the mayor (and it makes sense) many bus drivers had fled the city so they couldn't use extra buses, which would have been needed to accomodate the evacuees. You'd think there'd be some sort of contingency plan for this but obviously there wasn't.

Gaviidae

Morpheus said:
Since FEMA had never developed an evacuation plan for New Orleans after two years of discussing it, (they kinda left the locals out of the loop in these discussions), the city of New Orleans had developed their own evacuation plan. In this plan they anticipated in advance that about 100,000 people would not be able to evacuate for whatever reasons. This plan included the Superdome as a last-ditch shelter for those people.

So in other words, the city screwed up by not figuring out how to get these 100,000 people to safety.

I would certainly not want FEMA in charge of creating an evacuation plan for every city. They should be a resource but it's up to the cities to create an evacuation plan. After all, they know what is best for their city and their people.

Here's an interesting article on the evacuation system and response.

Here's a piece of info I didn't know about:
But we still don't know what happened to New Orleans' $7 million grant in 2003 for a communications system that would connect all the region's first responders.

HisLight

Gaviidae said:
According to the mayor (and it makes sense) many bus drivers had fled the city so they couldn't use extra buses, which would have been needed to accomodate the evacuees. You'd think there'd be some sort of contingency plan for this but obviously there wasn't.

I wonder if anyone has figured out how many people they could have saved if they had filled up everyone of those buses with people and driven them out of town before the storm. I realize that it wouldn't have taken everyone out of town. Leaving people AND buses stranded in a hurricane is just dumb.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
You can train a friggin' monkey to drive a bus for godsakes, they didn't need professional drivers! :doh:

I'm sure this is Bush's fault somehow...:noid:

Army of One

BillyBob said:
You can train a friggin' monkey to drive a bus for godsakes, they didn't need professional drivers! :doh:

I'm sure this is Bush's fault somehow...:noid:
Aha, you finally figured it out, BB. All the professional bus drivers have taken jobs over in Iraq, working for Haliburton.:chuckle:

Gaviidae

BillyBob said:

You do in a bureacracy. And the one common complaint from both sides of this is that the bureacracy was running rampant in this one.

PureX

HisLight said:
I wonder if anyone has figured out how many people they could have saved if they had filled up everyone of those buses with people and driven them out of town before the storm. I realize that it wouldn't have taken everyone out of town. Leaving people AND buses stranded in a hurricane is just dumb.
About 6,000 people per trip (100 busses w/ 60 people in each bus). The busses wouldn't have come close to getting the estimated 100,000 people that were left behind, out. Neither would the trains.

I think ya'll are underestimating how many busses and trains it would take to get 100,000+ people out of a city. (Keep in mind that all the highways out of the city were jammed, so the busses could not have made more than one trip.)

Gaviidae

PureX said:
I think ya'll are underestimating how many busses and trains it would take to get 100,000+ people out of a city. (Keep in mind that all the highways out of the city were jammed, so the busses could not have made more than one trip.)

That's 6,000 less people in harms way and 6,000 less people to rescue.

I awoke early, as I often did, just before sunrise, to walk by the ocean's edge and greet the new day.

As I moved through the morning dawn, I focused on a faint, far away motion.
I saw a youth, bending and reaching and flailing arms, dancing on the beach, no doubt in celebration of the perfect day soon to begin.

As I approached, I realized that the youth was not dancing to the bay, but rather bending to sift through the debris left by the night's tide, stopping now and then to pick up starfish and then standing, to heave it back into the sea.

I asked the youth the purpose of the effort. "The tide has washed the starfish onto the beach and they cannot return to the sea by themselves," the youth replied. "When the sun rises, they will die, unless I throw them back into the sea."

As the youth explained, I surveyed the vast expanse of beach, stretching in both directions beyond eyesight. Starfish littered the shore in numbers beyond calculation. The hopelessness of the youth's plan became clear to me and I countered, "But there are more starfish on this beach than you can ever save before the sun is up. Surely you cannot expect to make a difference."

The youth paused briefly to consider my words, bent to pick up a starfish and threw it as far as possible. Turning to me he simply said,

"I made a difference to that ONE."

PureX

I wonder why the kid didn't just blame the starfish for being stupid enough to crawl out of the water in the first place, and then let 'em bake?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
PureX said:
I wonder why the kid didn't just blame the starfish for being stupid enough to crawl out of the water in the first place, and then let 'em bake?

I would have, we all know starfish are flaming liberals.

Gaviidae

PureX said:

Because they were orange starfish not black starfish.

(Psych, I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid
If I offend I'm sorry, please, please forgive) :wave2: