John Wayne singled out as hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

William Donovan, O.S.S. Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance in to the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it.

I don't believe it.
The apologist piece you posted has more than a few holes.
And not consistent with ...

on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures".[29] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him; Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract[30] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[31]

Why would the head of U.S. intelligence pass up the opportunity to use Wayne?
Why didn't he follow up on the letter he allegedly sent Wayne?
Too many holes in the story.

elohiym

And I think he was just as proud of those that stayed behind as those that went.

Uh, not by many accounts ...

By many accounts, Wayne's failure to serve in the military was the most painful experience of his life.[33] His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home."[34]

Was he right to feel guilty?
What for?

I noticed you mentioned James Stewart also.

That was the article I posted that mentioned him.

I watched him in his movie Shenandoah a couple days ago.
You know, the movie where he absolutely refused to join the military and did not want any of his sons to join either, because he felt it more important to stay and care for the family.
Was he a hypocrite for playing that part as an actor?
No.

Of course not.
Apples and oranges.

elohiym

From the article cited in the OP:

Greenwald also said this: "Wayne scornfully condemned films that he claimed deviated from wholesome values. Yet in his own life, Wayne was not only married to three different women, but engaged in multiple affairs with a whole array of Hollywood actresses and socialites. While he loudly denounced those whom he deemed to be morally impure, Wayne indulged an alcohol addiction and a barbiturate and amphetamine habit for years.

If true, how is that not a hypocrite?

oatmeal

You can read the article.
It appears he was a hypocrite.

When I supported war, I volunteered to serve in combat and did.
I would not support war and then hide from the fighting.

FDR supported the war and did not fight in it.

Leaders should lead from the front, not from behind

elohiym

"This man who ran away from war," wrote Greenwald, "then spent the rest of his life loudly cheering for every American war he could find. And as he left a series of broken marriages characterized by ugly divorces involving allegations of abuse, and as he furthered multiplied relationships, he insisted that he was devoted to wholesome, American, Christian values."

So what does the right wing think of Wayne in this late date? Says Greenwald: "To this day, Wayne is held up as an icon of right-wing courage, American virtue and conservative manliness.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
john wayne was an actor

did you think he was a savior? :freak:
George Bush was a politician. He was no savior, either.

But you would not have heard that in 2003-2004. Not only did he stir up an obvious hornet's nest and lie about it, he also was an Air Force dodger who did not even show up for his patriotic duty for a year....

(Now he is a war criminal).

elohiym

Yeah, that is sad.
But what about what John Wayne did?
The article quoted in the OP?
Do you believe he was a hypocrite? Yes? No?

You're claiming the following isn't hypocritical? :AMR:

Greenwald also said this: "Wayne scornfully condemned films that he claimed deviated from wholesome values. Yet in his own life, Wayne was not only married to three different women, but engaged in multiple affairs with a whole array of Hollywood actresses and socialites. While he loudly denounced those whom he deemed to be morally impure, Wayne indulged an alcohol addiction and a barbiturate and amphetamine habit for years.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
It's easy to support killing people when you've never had to actually do it. And especially when you've never had someone trying to kill you.

It is the time of testing. If you cannot practice when you actually should know what to do, you are only lip serving God.

We cannot mock God.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was he right to feel guilty?
What for?
The impression I got from listening to my family members (the ones I mentioned earlier), the ones that went felt some guilt for not staying with family, and the ones that stayed felt some guilt for not going.
It was one of those situations where one could feel damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Truth is, it took both to keep the country stable. And I consider all of them as Team America.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is the time of testing. If you cannot practice when you actually should know what to do, you are only lip serving God.

We cannot mock God.
You mock every day. By staying married to a man that you are no wife at all to, and by despising the military he was in while you LOVE the MONEY you live off of from the military.
And then we have to listen to your lame excuses of why that is A-OK for you to live that way.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, the Duke was a hypocrite. And I suspect he was haunted by his failure to serve the rest of his life.

It is striking how often the people who talk loudest and longest about going to war are the very last people who ever served. Talk's cheap. War is hell.

elohiym

The impression I got from listening to my family members (the ones I mentioned earlier), the ones that went felt some guilt for not staying with family, and the ones that stayed felt some guilt for not going.
It was one of those situations where one could feel damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Some people confuse regret with guilt.

Truth is, it took both to keep the country stable. And I consider all of them as Team America.

Only John Wayne's story is bit different.

Daniel1611

I read a book one time, I can't remember what it was. It went into detail about how John Wayne played the good ol' American manly man but in real life he was a drunken philanderer and draft dodger. Idk if it's all true but I do know he was a draft dodger. While clark gable and those guys were flying planes in WW2, Wayne stayed home. That's how he got so many movie parts. He was one of the only major stars who didn't go to war. L

Status
Not open for further replies.