John Wayne singled out as hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
did you know that he pretended to be a son of katie elder but there really was no katie elder ?????? :noway::noway:

what a hypocrite!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
did you know he pretended to be a us marshall but never really served as a us marshal ????? :noway::noway:

what a hypocrite!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Truster left! I guess he didn't like me exposing his height (4'2'') and telling
about his career as a circus midget? Probably went off to report GM?

elohiym

"Wayne," said Greenwald, "feared that leaving Hollywood would harm his career and told friends that he couldn't serve his country because he was too old and he needed to support his three children. In contrast, Jimmy Stewart was 33, a year younger than Wayne and flew more than 20 combat missions. Clark Gable was 40 and he volunteered for combat, as did Henry Fonda who was 37, three years older than Wayne and who had three children. He could have easily avoided combat, but didn't."

:think:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, that is sad.
But what about what John Wayne did?
The article quoted in the OP?
Do you believe he was a hypocrite? Yes? No?
No.

I think he did what his own conscience told him was best.
And I think he was just as proud of those that stayed behind as those that went.
One can do a lot for support and morale without actually being one of the ones that fought in battle.

I noticed you mentioned James Stewart also.
I watched him in his movie Shenandoah a couple days ago.
You know, the movie where he absolutely refused to join the military and did not want any of his sons to join either, because he felt it more important to stay and care for the family.
Was he a hypocrite for playing that part as an actor?
No.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No.

I think he did what his own conscience told him was best.
And I think he was just as proud of those that stayed behind as those that went.
One can do a lot for support and morale without actually being one of the ones that fought in battle.

I noticed you mentioned James Stewart also.
I watched him in his movie Shenandoah a couple days ago.
You know, the movie where he absolutely refused to join the military and did not want any of his sons to join either, because he felt it more important to stay and care for the family.
Was he a hypocrite for playing that part as an actor?
No.

Excellent post!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
wiki said:
America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status, classified as 3-A (family deferment). He repeatedly wrote John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures".[29] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him; Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract[30] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[31]

Wayne toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific for three months in 1943 and 1944.[32] By many accounts, Wayne's failure to serve in the military was the most painful experience of his life.[33] His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home."[34]

U.S. National Archives records indicate that Wayne had, in fact, made an application [35] to serve in the O.S.S., today's equivalent of the C.I.A., and had been accepted within the U.S. Army's allotted billet to the O.S.S. William Donovan, O.S.S. Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance in to the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it. [36]

elohiym

Where did ELO go?

I went to have hot chocolate and brunch with my wife.
Next, I will go work in my garden, plant some kale, maybe graft some trees.
Later, I will take six of my children to our awesome swimming hole.
In short, I'm enjoying a great life.
So you don't have to wonder.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I went to have hot chocolate and brunch with my wife.
Next, I will go work in my garden, plant some kale, maybe graft some trees.
Later, I will take six of my children to our awesome swimming hole.
In short, I'm enjoying a great life.

while obsessing over your idol john wayne

does your family know?

Status
Not open for further replies.