John Wayne singled out as hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

What do you John Wayne lovers think of this?

John Wayne wasn't my favorite movie star, but he was fun to watch in such films as "The Longest Day," "The Alamo," "Sands of Iowa Jima," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "Stagecoach" and many others. But my favorite of his was "The Quiet Man" which a critic called a labor of love for the director, John Ford, and his Irish-American stars. Wayne was super in that movie, a great acting job in portraying Irish life as well as a love story with Maureen O'Hara. Ford won a best director Oscar.

But imagine my shock when I found that Wayne, despite his many film roles as a war hero, turned out to be the biggest draft dodger you'll ever see - and that was World War II when thousands of Americans eagerly volunteered. Wrote Greenwald: "Male American movie stars of the World War II era - from the most politically conservative to the most liberal - went off to fight for their country in droves. Virtually every one of the top male box-office draws of that time enlisted, among them William Holden, James Stewart, Clark Gable, Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda."

"Wayne," said Greenwald, "feared that leaving Hollywood would harm his career and told friends that he couldn't serve his country because he was too old and he needed to support his three children. In contrast, Jimmy Stewart was 33, a year younger than Wayne and flew more than 20 combat missions. Clark Gable was 40 and he volunteered for combat, as did Henry Fonda who was 37, three years older than Wayne and who had three children. He could have easily avoided combat, but didn't."

The author of the book said Wayne "was a true trailblazer of the modern American right-wing movement and was one of the first Americans to pretend that he possessed the ‘warrior virtues' and loudly urged that other Americans be sent off to fight in wars." Greenwald also said this: "Wayne scornfully condemned films that he claimed deviated from wholesome values. Yet in his own life, Wayne was not only married to three different women, but engaged in multiple affairs with a whole array of Hollywood actresses and socialites. While he loudly denounced those whom he deemed to be morally impure, Wayne indulged an alcohol addition and a barbiturate and amphetamine habit for years.

"This man who ran away from war," wrote Greenwald, "then spent the rest of his life loudly cheering for every American war he could find. And as he left a series of broken marriages characterized by ugly divorces involving allegations of abuse, and as he furthered multiplied relationships, he insisted that he was devoted to wholesome, American, Christian values."

PureX

It's easy to support killing people when you've never had to actually do it. And especially when you've never had someone trying to kill you.

Many of todays neo-con political hawks were draft dodgers and goldbrickers when it was their turn to stand the wall. You'll note, too, that many come from wealthy families that got wealthier from the wars that the poor family's boys have to go and fight.

Greed is never far from cowardice, ignorance, and the spilling of blood.

Truster

The term hypocrite means impious and has its root in soiled by sin. Let him who is with hypocrisy cast the first stone.

elohiym

:duh:

you start threads about him

This is the first thread I've ever started about John Wayne, and it is to discuss the claim he was a hypocrite.

it's obvious that you idolize him

If you think that's the case, you obviously lack discernment.
Most of us already know that about you, but thanks for proving it again.

I believe John Wayne was a hypocrite.
Do you think John Wayne was a hypocrite per the article in the OP? Yes? No?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I'm going by what "Res" had to say, and he says that you actually 'idolize'
the Duke?? The Duke was a great actor and a fine conservative man but,
to idolize him? That's going to far, don't ya think, ELO? Get a hold of
yourself man!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
as i've said, john wayne was an actor

i enjoyed some of his movies

i have never seen a reason to idolize him, as elo obviously does

oatmeal

Was John Wayne a hypocrite?

That maybe a bit strong.

What are your priorities and in what order do you put them?

some possible priorities are

a. God

b. family

c. self

d. community

e. country

f. self preservation

g. self respect

h. ability to earn a living

i. knowledge of truth

j. love of truth

What were John Wayne's priorities and in what order did he live them?

What are your priorities and in what order do put them? What order do you live them?

Status
Not open for further replies.