Is the Law of Moses good or bad?

Arthur Brain

Because what would be the point in their being recorded for modern day audiences and who's to say which parts are only intended for a set people of a set time?

That everything in the bible is applicable today.

Really? Everything?

Being... what??

The opposite to what you advocate for starters. You'd still have stoning in effect for execution and are mired in laws for a set time.

It didn't. The Old Testament is the foundation on which the New Testament is built.

Exactly, it didn't. The New Testament had more to say including changes.

Because it's the second half of the story...

One that doesn't encourage the likes of the legalism that you still advocate.

To bring Israel back to Him.

Entirely subjective and without any real foundation. I'd sooner read the words as they're said. You'd still have laws that have the former in effect and brush it off with the above.

Well, that's on you.

No, that's not what I said.

I said "THE" law.

Do you think that we should establish the law?

"The law"? What is that exactly JR?

Talk about missing the point...

Quite. Do you think the scribes and Pharisees were venerated by Jesus during His ministry?

It's pretty annoying, isn't it?

What, when someone who advocates that people should be stoned to death in the present for adultery doesn't have the courage of their convictions to answer a simple question a few times on the bounce as to whether Jesus would have condoned it if all conditions for such had been met in the past?

It's annoying in a way but also entirely expected. I didn't for a moment think that you actually would answer the question.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What does it mean to establish it? In argument to prove a point or such that it is and never cannot be?
It means we uphold it.

Here's what the word used means:

Strong's g2476

- Lexical: ἵστημι
- Transliteration: histémi
- Part of Speech: Verb
- Phonetic Spelling: his'-tay-mee
- Definition: trans: (a) to make to stand, place, set up, establish, appoint; mid: to place myself, stand, (b) to set in balance, weigh; intrans: (c) to stand, stand by, stand still; met: to stand ready, stand firm, be steadfast.
- Origin: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively).
- Usage: abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare tithemi.
- Translated as (count):
Spoiler
standing (37), stood (16), to stand (9), having stood (8), stand (6), he set (5), he stood (5), stands (5), will stand (4), having stood up (3), having stopped (3), they set (3), were standing (3), you stand (3), are standing (2), had been standing (2), I stand (2), standing by (2), stopped (2), was standing (2), do you stand (1), had been standing by (1), having placed (1), having set (1), he might establish (1), he will be upheld (1), he will set (1), hold (1), I have stood (1), is standing (1), it stood (1), lying (1), might be strengthened (1), set (1), sets (1), stand you (1), they appointed (1), they put forward (1), they stood (1), they stood still (1), to be standing (1), to establish (1), to make stand (1), to present (1), to stop (1), we stand (1), we uphold (1), will be established (1), you might stand (1), you stand firm (1), you will be brought (1).

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It means we uphold it.

Here's what the word used means:

Strong's g2476

- Lexical: ἵστημι
- Transliteration: histémi
- Part of Speech: Verb
- Phonetic Spelling: his'-tay-mee
- Definition: trans: (a) to make to stand, place, set up, establish, appoint; mid: to place myself, stand, (b) to set in balance, weigh; intrans: (c) to stand, stand by, stand still; met: to stand ready, stand firm, be steadfast.
- Origin: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively).
- Usage: abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare tithemi.
- Translated as (count):
Spoiler
standing (37), stood (16), to stand (9), having stood (8), stand (6), he set (5), he stood (5), stands (5), will stand (4), having stood up (3), having stopped (3), they set (3), were standing (3), you stand (3), are standing (2), had been standing (2), I stand (2), standing by (2), stopped (2), was standing (2), do you stand (1), had been standing by (1), having placed (1), having set (1), he might establish (1), he will be upheld (1), he will set (1), hold (1), I have stood (1), is standing (1), it stood (1), lying (1), might be strengthened (1), set (1), sets (1), stand you (1), they appointed (1), they put forward (1), they stood (1), they stood still (1), to be standing (1), to establish (1), to make stand (1), to present (1), to stop (1), we stand (1), we uphold (1), will be established (1), you might stand (1), you stand firm (1), you will be brought (1).

Meaning we preach it but we don't apply it or what?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Because what would be the point in their being recorded for modern day audiences and who's to say which parts are only intended for a set people of a set time?

Really? Everything?

The opposite to what you advocate for starters. You'd still have stoning in effect for execution

And throwing off a cliff, too, if available.

and are mired in laws for a set time.

Rather, I think the law that God gave to Moses is, as a model of what law should look like, 10 million+ times better than anything that man can come up with, and that man's laws should imitate God's law.

Exactly, it didn't. The New Testament had more to say including changes.

Just not where you want them to be, unfortunately for you.

One that doesn't encourage the likes of the legalism that you still advocate.

I don't advocate legalism.

Entirely subjective and without any real foundation. I'd sooner read the words as they're said.

Nah, you'd ignore them all the same.

Israel was given three years to repent and turn to her God. She was then given one more year, a final chance, to repent. She didn't, and so God put his plan for her on hold.

You'd still have laws that have the former in effect and brush it off with the above.

Well, that's on you.

"The law"? What is that exactly JR?

A tree. :think:

Quite. Do you think the scribes and Pharisees were venerated by Jesus during His ministry?

Don't change the subject.

What did Jesus say about jots and tittles in that passage?

What, when someone who advocates that people should be stoned to death in the present for adultery doesn't have the courage of their convictions to answer a simple question a few times on the bounce as to whether Jesus would have condoned it if all conditions for such had been met in the past?

It's annoying in a way but also entirely expected. I didn't for a moment think that you actually would answer the question.

Question for you, Arty:

What did the Mosaic law say about what happens to those who bear false witness in a trial for a capital crime?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Well, my reply wasn't even addressed to you anyway and I'm well aware of what you want. Some monarch drawn by lots who could choose not to do any darned thing if he so chose...
Which has nothing to do with this discussion at all.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It means we use it appropriately.

I know we are not to judge, that we are not to judge outsiders, and that judgment begins with the household of God. But believers are not supposed to be sinning or to have sinned since they really became believers. Israel and those grafted in should observe the Law?! but that those who are believers are not under the Law. So who is the Law for? Or, is this misunderstanding something? I would like to say the Law and forgiveness for everyone.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I know we are not to judge,

Incorrect.

We are to judge with righteous judgment.

that we are not to judge outsiders,

Incorrect.

We are to treat strangers the same as citizens (regarding the law).

and that judgment begins with the household of God. But believers are not supposed to be sinning or to have sinned since they really became believers.

That's a cliche, not what Paul said.

Israel and those grafted in should observe the Law?!

Israel was the natural branch that was chopped off, Jacob.

The branches grafted in were grafted onto the Vine, Christ, not Israel.

but that those who are believers are not under the Law. So who is the Law for?

The Law is for the wicked.

Or, is this misunderstanding something? I would like to say the Law and forgiveness for everyone.

Forgiveness is only for those who repent.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Incorrect.

We are to judge with righteous judgment.

Incorrect.

We are to treat strangers the same as citizens (regarding the law).

That's a cliche, not what Paul said.

Israel was the natural branch that was chopped off, Jacob.

The branches grafted in were grafted onto the Vine, Christ, not Israel.

The Law is for the wicked.

Forgiveness is only for those who repent.

Maybe I am thinking of people who have sinned after they became believers. Because forgiveness.

Grafted into Christ, the root, or Israel? Gentiles. Such were some of you. As or like the Gentiles walk. Grafted back in?

1 Corinthians 5:12 NASB - For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within [the church?]

Matthew 7:1 NASB - "Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

Luke 6:37 NASB - "Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.

Arthur Brain

And throwing off a cliff, too, if available.

You advocate that as well?

Rather, I think the law that God gave to Moses is, as a model of what law should look like, 10 million+ times better than anything that man can come up with, and that man's laws should imitate God's law.

Including throwing people off cliffs?

Just not where you want them to be, unfortunately for you.

Why would it be unfortunate for me JR? Do clarify.

I don't advocate legalism.

Sure you do. If you're a proponent of enacting laws that would stone people to death for homosexuality and adultery along with enforced marriages for fornication with no possibility for divorce then you absolutely do. I'm surprised you shy away from it really.

Nah, you'd ignore them all the same.

Unsubstantive response.

Israel was given three years to repent and turn to her God. She was then given one more year, a final chance, to repent. She didn't, and so God put his plan for her on hold.

Has nothing to do with Jesus Himself giving instruction on how to act in regards to former laws.

A tree. :think:

Of knowledge? Or a birch?

Don't change the subject.

What did Jesus say about jots and tittles in that passage?

You think that meant that any "law" in society couldn't be subject to change?

Question for you, Arty:

What did the Mosaic law say about what happens to those who bear false witness in a trial for a capital crime?

Seriously? You lack that much courage of your convictions as to answer whether Jesus would have condoned the bludgeoning to death of a woman with stones if every lawful aspect had been met with a deflecting one of your own, which has already been addressed in past threads as well?

What's the matter JR? Why can't you just answer the question?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Yup.

It's quick (all ya gotta do is push), painful on the way down, and serves it's purpose as a death sentence.

Probably more effective than sedating, anesthetizing, and giving a lethal injection a long time after a crime is committed. Better just to inject them straight up without the sedation or anesthesia. And no need to clean the needle, the criminal's gonna die anyways.

Ol' Sparky would also be effective.

You think the changes happened within the time Jesus was on Earth, and so you've built your worldview on that assumption.

It's unfortunate because it's incorrect, which means your worldview is incorrect.

Arty, an old man gets on a bus, but sees that all the seats are full.

One man stands up and offers the older gentleman a seat.

Was this a good thing or a bad thing to do?

Sure you do. If you're a proponent of enacting laws that would stone people to death for homosexuality and adultery along with enforced marriages for fornication with no possibility for divorce then you absolutely do. I'm surprised you shy away from it really.

That's not legalism.

That's called justice.

Unsubstantive response.

Only because you separated it from the rest of what I said.

Has nothing to do with Jesus Himself giving instruction on how to act in regards to former laws.

Sure it does.

Just because you can't see it (because you don't have the big picture) doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

I think you know.

Seriously? You lack that much courage of your convictions as to answer whether Jesus would have condoned the bludgeoning to death of a woman with stones if every lawful aspect had been met with a deflecting one of your own, which has already been addressed in past threads as well?

I think that the people who brought the woman before Christ weren't expecting that He hold so strictly to the law.

This article (although I've never read AG articles before, and don't know their position on everything I believe) seems to have it down pat.

In other words, Jesus would have held the ones who brought the woman before him accountable for not following procedure.

According to you, that would make Jesus a legalist.

glorydaz

That never changed.

God doesn't say "kill someone because of their sexual orientation."

He says, "kill someone if they commit a capital crime.

Homosexual acts are capital crimes.

Therefore, homosexuals (read, those committing homosexual acts) should be executed.

We live under the laws of the United States, so what you propose is illegal.

glorydaz

Unsubstantive response.

The laws JR wants enforced have nothing to do with anyone today. They were the Laws of Moses given to the children of Israel, and they were corrupted by the Scribes and Pharisees of Jesus' day. Which is why Jesus was having to correct them. We're seeing modern day Pharisees right here on TOL.

You're talking to a Pharisee, AB. Interesting, isn't it?

Arthur Brain

Yup.

It's quick (all ya gotta do is push), painful on the way down, and serves it's purpose as a death sentence.

Probably more effective than sedating, anesthetizing, and giving a lethal injection a long time after a crime is committed. Better just to inject them straight up without the sedation or anesthesia. And no need to clean the needle, the criminal's gonna die anyways.

Ol' Sparky would also be effective.

Nice. So could you push a helpless woman off a cliff because she was convicted of adultery yourself if you had the authority? Would you be willing to "dispense justice" with your own hands no less if need be?

You think the changes happened within the time Jesus was on Earth, and so you've built your worldview on that assumption.

It's unfortunate because it's incorrect, which means your worldview is incorrect.

Arty, an old man gets on a bus, but sees that all the seats are full.

One man stands up and offers the older gentleman a seat.

Was this a good thing or a bad thing to do?

Oh, I think I'll take my chances and keep the perspective that I've got, one that includes disgust at the prospect of people bludgeoning others to death with stones or shoving them off cliffs for being gay or the like.

I'd give up a seat for an elderly person any day of the week.

That's not legalism.

That's called justice.

No, it's legalism, ran amok.

Only because you separated it from the rest of what I said.

Um, no.

Sure it does.

Just because you can't see it (because you don't have the big picture) doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

When a guy has no problems with the concept of pushing people off cliffs as a form of "justice" tells me I don't have a big picture then I'll tell him he has no clue what a canvas is.

I think you know.

A larch?

I think that the people who brought the woman before Christ weren't expecting that He hold so strictly to the law.

This article (although I've never read AG articles before, and don't know their position on everything I believe) seems to have it down pat.

In other words, Jesus would have held the ones who brought the woman before him accountable for not following procedure.

According to you, that would make Jesus a legalist.

And yet again you fail to answer a simple question where all the parameters were laid out for you whereby all lawful considerations would have been met and Jesus could have condoned the stoning of an adulterous woman to death.

Yet you don't dare answer it.

Says it all.

Arthur Brain

The laws JR wants enforced have nothing to do with anyone today. They were the Laws of Moses given to the children of Israel, and they were corrupted by the Scribes and Pharisees of Jesus' day. Which is why Jesus was having to correct them. We're seeing modern day Pharisees right here on TOL.

You're talking to a Pharisee, AB. Interesting, isn't it?

One who doesn't even have the courage of his own convictions to say that Jesus would condone the bludgeoning to death of people in the present as JR advocates for certain "crimes". (Not to mention pushing people off cliffs)

Interesting is certainly one aspect.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Nice. So could you push a helpless woman off a cliff because she was convicted of adultery yourself if you had the authority? Would you be willing to "dispense justice" with your own hands no less if need be?

If she was sentenced to death because she had committed a capital crime, no, I would not opposed to doing so.

Oh, I think I'll take my chances and keep the perspective that I've got, one that includes disgust at the prospect of people bludgeoning others to death with stones or shoving them off cliffs for being gay or the like.

I'd give up a seat for an elderly person any day of the week.

I'll take that as a "yes, it was a good thing for the man to give up his seat."

To which I say, "No it wasn't a good thing.

The man who gave up his seat was the driver of the bus, and the old man hasn't driven a vehicle in several years."

No, it's legalism, ran amok.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Um, no.

When a guy has no problems with the concept of pushing people off cliffs as a form of "justice" tells me I don't have a big picture then I'll tell him he has no clue what a canvas is.

A larch?

:liberals:

Guess not.

And yet again you fail to answer a simple question where all the parameters were laid out for you whereby all lawful considerations would have been met and Jesus could have condoned the stoning of an adulterous woman to death.

Yet you don't dare answer it.

Says it all.

Rather, I'd let scripture speak for itself.

The men only brought the woman before Jesus, where the Mosaic law said to bring both.

Jesus would have cross examined each of the witnesses, and had their stories not matched, they would have been subject to bearing false witness in a capital case.

And even if the woman had been found guilty, the Jews did not have the authority to put someone to death for adultery

In other words, it's pointless to try to speculate what Jesus would have condoned, because it was never a possibility in the first place.

It just shows that the law is good, even when people attempt to use it against you.

Your problem, Arty, is that you assume I'm under any obligation to you to answer your questions, just as you are under no obligation to answer any of mine.

That being said, I AM answering your question.

It's just not the answer you want to hear.