Is the Law of Moses good or bad?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Scripture says that the Law is good. But we often think of it as bad. Why is this so?

There is something that the Law cannot do, save you. But Jesus can do that (save you). So is the Law inferior to Jesus? I am talking about the Law of Moses. God's law is also found in the New Covenant, but people debate about if there should be any punishment or penalty for wrong done.

How is the Law good? In that it points out sin. Is this sin all sin that can be repented of? Can a person repent of anything and be saved? What do you think? If we did not have the Law could we still point out sin?

Also, is it bad to preach the Law in light of the preaching of Jesus?

Shalom (Peace).

Jacob

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Bad. But some of it was actually the Code of Hammurabi. Are you familiar with it? Moses got some of his laws from that earlier piece.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Bad. But some of it was actually the Code of Hammurabi. Are you familiar with it? Moses got some of his laws from that earlier piece.

Some people say that it was the other way around or neither way. I have heard of it. But why do you say bad?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Google is your friend.

The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian code of law of ancient Mesopotamia, dated back to about 1754 BCE (Middle Chronology). It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world. The sixth Babylonian king, Hammurabi, enacted the code.

The Law of Moses, also called the Mosaic Law, primarily refers to the Torah or the first five books of the Hebrew Bible. Traditionally believed to have been written by Moses, most academics now believe they had many authors.

After 40 years of wandering in the desert, Moses died within sight of the Promised Land on Mount Nebo. Jerome gives 1592 BCE, and James Ussher 1571 BCE as Moses' birth year.

Law in the Ancient Near East
The "Law of Moses" in ancient Israel was different from other legal codes in the ancient Near East because transgressions were seen as offenses against God rather than solely as offenses against society (civil law).[6] This contrasts with the Sumerian Code of Ur-Nammu (c. 2100-2050 BCE), and the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi (c. 1760 BCE, of which almost half concerns contract law). However the influence of the ancient Near Eastern legal tradition on the Law of ancient Israel is recognised and well documented.[7] For example the Israelite Sabbatical Year has antecedents in the Akkadian mesharum edicts granting periodic relief to the poor.[8] Another important distinction is that in ancient Near East legal codes, as in more recently unearthed Ugaritic texts, an important, and ultimate, role in the legal process was assigned to the king. Ancient Israel, before the monarchical period beginning with David, was set up as a theocracy, rather than a monarchy, although God is most commonly portrayed like a king.[9]

Why did you, or why do you, say bad?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Killing people for picking up sticks on Saturday, codes for keeping slaves and their treatment, institutionalized rape, blood sacrifice, among other evils.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Killing people for picking up sticks on Saturday, codes for keeping slaves and their treatment, institutionalized rape, blood sacrifice, among other evils.

I can disagree with you. Would you like an explanation?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Killing people for picking up sticks on Saturday,
The Sabbath isn't exactly Saturday. Do you believe that this has ever occurred?
codes for keeping slaves and their treatment,
Are you talking about the Hebrew Slave or something else? On the one hand it doesn't make sense to enslave your country man. On the other hand, a Hebrew Slave would be a Hebrew?
institutionalized rape,
I resent that. Not really. But I don't see it in the Torah.
blood sacrifice,
Do you see a difference between blood sacrifice and animal sacrifice? There are Christian Theologies that believe God never wanted animal sacrifice. Others believe there is a difference between sacrifice and eating meat, or that there is a relationship. But obviously there are sacrifices and offerings mentioned in the Torah.
among other evils.
a note about slavery
some say that slavery was really bad and that the Law of Moses promoted doing things the right way not taking advantage of anyone.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
The Sabbath isn't exactly Saturday. Do you believe that this has ever occurred?Are you talking about the Hebrew Slave or something else? On the one hand it doesn't make sense to enslave your country man. On the other hand, a Hebrew Slave would be a Hebrew?
I resent that. Not really. But I don't see it in the Torah.Do you see a difference between blood sacrifice and animal sacrifice? There are Christian Theologies that believe God never wanted animal sacrifice. Others believe there is a difference between sacrifice and eating meat, or that there is a relationship. But obviously there are sacrifices and offerings mentioned in the Torah.
a note about slavery
some say that slavery was really bad and that the Law of Moses promoted doing things the right way not taking advantage of anyone.

What do you mean the Sabbath isn’t actually Saturday?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The law is a good thing.

But if you try to keep the law, it will kill you.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
The Sabbath isn't exactly Saturday. Do you believe that this has ever occurred

Are you kidding me?

Absolutely not. The God who made this universe and every universe that ever has been or will be?

No. God didn’t say it, God didn’t do it, God wouldn’t do it, and people are literally crazy to think so, IMHO. I believe that people who think this way don’t even know how to think. FWIW.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What do you mean the Sabbath isn’t actually Saturday?

The Sabbath, Shabbat, is not from midnight to midnight like Saturday could be seen to be. It is more from sundown to sundown though if you are looking for times you might get carried away with what does not matter about this. An evening and morning day or a night and day day is a day, yes. But if it begins and ends with sundown or sunset then it might be confusing about when the day, or the sixth day, ends, sundown. Because each day ends with sundown.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Are you kidding me?

Absolutely not. The God who made this universe and every universe that ever has been or will be?

No. God didn’t say it, God didn’t do it, God wouldn’t do it, and people are literally crazy to think so, IMHO. I believe that people who think this way don’t even know how to think. FWIW.

I have personally experienced something in regard to the Sabbath commandment to not pick up sticks in this regard. So I don't totally know or understand how to answer you. But if you are saying God would never follow through, that is one view.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I have personally experienced something in regard to the Sabbath commandment to not pick up sticks in this regard. So I don't totally know or understand how to answer you. But if you are saying God would never follow through, that is one view.

Yes. You are absolutely correct. It is one view. It’s the exact opposite view that all you people have which is that God is a killer.

I absolutely go on record. I disagree with you 100%. Know why? Because God cannot be that and love at the same time.

Do you believe God is love Jacob?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes. You are absolutely correct. It is one view. It’s the exact opposite view that all you people have which is that God is a killer.

I absolutely go on record. I disagree with you 100%. Know why? Because God cannot be that and love at the same time.

Do you believe God is love Jacob?
I do.

You are making a false accusation against me, so likely against others as well.