Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Ardima

Timotheus,

Though I believe your proof texts to be a great, solid argument against eternal conscious torment, I find that your theology is lacking on the subjects of life, death, and judgment. Not only that, but I feel that you may have forgotten about the etymology of a very important word within the proof texts that have wrogly been given to prove eternal conscious torment. We must not forget that when we develop a doctrine from biblical texts we must also consider the Bible as a whole in order to derive the correct context of any singular text within.

Let us first look at the Bible in its completeness. I believe that we can correctly conclude that the Bible's overview can be broken down into these parts: the start of the universe (time), the "fall" of mankind, the promise of the coming Messiah for mankind, the redemptive work of Christ for mankind, the judgment of God on mankind, and the end of the universe (time).

It is important to see that the whole of the Bible deals not with individual lives, but the whole of mankind. That is not to say that texts within the whole do not deal with individuals, but again, as a whole it deals with all of mankind.

I believe the biggest problem we face with any doctrine is that we try too often to personalize them. I am not saying that it is a bad thing per se, but we have to realize that they must also be in complete context with the whole. God works this way throughout all of the Bible. He works on a personal level with an individual or small group in order to bring about his will for the whole. A good example of what I mean is in Genesis when God is dealing with the life of Abraham. In short, God says that He is going to use Abraham, an individual, to bless all nations. He works with an individual to bring a desired result to the rest of mankind. And this can be seen consistently throughout the whole of the Bible. Paul knew this and had to remind the Church in Rome, as well as Timothy, and those in Corinth.

When we forget the whole picture of the Bible and personalize individual doctrines; we place ourselves on the edge of a cliff, and the one that most people love to personalize is Soteriology, the doctrine of salvation. Paul, and Luke make it clear that what Jesus did covers all of mankind. (Acts 3:21; Romans 5:18; 1 Corinthians 15:22; 2 Corinthians 5:18,19) Romans 5:18 is very important because in the midst of explaining salvation on a more personal level among groups and individuals, he reminds the Church at Rome to remember that what he is saying fits within the scope of the entirety of salvation.

Is it not interesting that Paul clearly states that the last enemy that will be destroyed is death? And yet, if you read the last chapter of the book of Revelation you will find that all of those that are to be cast into the "lake of fire and brimstone" (in the presence of Jesus Christ mind you) are then found without the city of New Jerusalem. Let me point out that this is after the last enemy (death) has been destroyed. Life has been given to all of mankind (death has been destroyed); however not all of mankind has access to the city of New Jerusalem. only those who are found in the Lambs book of life can enter the city and have access to the tree of life. So if those that are without the city (having been labeled all of the horrible things that God detests) have life, we can conclude that the "lake of fire and brimstone" is just as the ancient Greek culture dictated, a place of divine purification (the Glory of God). What is destroyed is the sinful nature of men, however since those outside the city are not "over-comers" they cannot escape the labels that have been placed on them by their sin. It is much like Rehab in Jericho. Thou she was a great help to the spies of Israel and she was given the privilege of being in the lineage of Christ, she could not escape the label that her sin had placed upon her. She would ever be known as Rehab the harlot... Though the sinful nature within those outside of New Jerusalem will be destroyed, the label that their sin will place upon them will prevent them from entering the city where God will dwell. Paul also alludes to this when he writes to Timothy. (1 Timothy 4:10) for to this we also labor and are reproached, because we hope on the living God, who is Savior of all men, especially of believers.

As far as eternal punishment and eternal life are concerned, we need to go back to the original meaning of the original words in Hebrew and Greek that are translated as "eternal or everlasting." Etymology is extremely important because words often change in meaning over time. The original meaning of the Hebrew word (‛ôlâm) is properly "time out of mind" That is, time we have not experienced (past, or future) This is talking about time before we were born, and time after our physical death. The meaning is not one directional, so there must be context telling us in which direction this word is referring. The only word that the Hebrew language has that truly means "eternal" is Jehovah, but is not directly translated in English versions out of respect for the name of God (and Jewish customs).

In Greek the words translated as eternal or everlasting are "aion" and "aionios" the latter being the adjective form of the former. "Aion" literally means "an age" which can be defined as "a span of time known only to God." "Aionios," being the adjective form of "aion" cannot have more force than its root, and therefore can only be properly translated as age-abiding or age-during. So if you have a text translated as "aionios life" it should properly be "age-abiding life," or "life of the ages" if you will. The same goes for judgment. If it is "aionios judgment" it should properly be "age-abiding judgment," or "judgment of the ages" if you will. And we find this to be the most accurate translation because if you will once again look at the Bible as a whole, you will see that judgment has never been a final condition, it is only dealt in order to correct something that is wrong. This is always the case throughout the whole of the Bible, and we know that God doesn't change.

If we understand the complete meaning of "Eternal" (that is no beginning and no end) we can see that we could never gain "eternal" life because our lives had a beginning and will have an end. The only thing we can gain is life of the ages, and abundantly at that...

Timotheos

The facts of eternal punishment seems harsh, to those who don't realize that The Lord is more just than we are and has far greater understanding than we ever could. Apologists for God attempt to make their idol fit their thoughts on who and what their ideas of God are but God gave us clear ideas of exactly Who He is and what will happen after His Judgments are given. Postulating that His Word doesn't really mean what it says will continue for all those who are out-of-touch with Him and is really no surprise.

I know that your aren't talking about me, because I agree that there is eternal punishment. But that punishment is death, not eternal conscious torment. I am not attempting to "make an idol fit my thoughts on who God is", I an saying that I agree with the Bible which clearly tells us what the wages of sin is - DEATH, not Torment.
I don't say that God's Word doesn't mean what it says. Actually, I say just the opposite, God's Word does mean what it says. And God's Word says that the wicked will perish and WILL BE NO MORE. Postulating that God's Word doesn't really mean that the wicked will perish and be no more means that you are the one who is out of touch with Him. Your insults of me are no surprise, why don't you try to defend your position using the Bible? It's because the Bible doesn't support your position.

Timotheos

Ardima, I don't know what you are trying to say.
I have read the whole Bible many times and I do take it all into account. There is not one single verse in the whole Bible that says that the wicked will live forever being tormented alive in Hell after they die. There are many passages that say the wicked will be no more. I have only scratched the surface with the Bible passages I've quoted, which you sweetly call "proof-texts".

You never said which word I forgot the etymology of, so I can't respond to that. If you are like so many others who assume that "death" doesn't really mean death at all but separation, please do what all of them could not do, and show me the scripture that says "death doesn't really mean death, it means separation instead."

IMJerusha

Excuse me? How does Jesus saying some go to eternal life and some go to eternal punishment wipe out any of the verses I posted? Are you assuming that eternal punishment HAS to be eternal torment? Matthew 25:46 doesn't say that. I believe in eternal punishment. And as I have shown, the eternal punishment is death.

Every bit as much as you assume that eternal punishment is death.
This, Brother, is one of those arguments that you will not win, because you can not win it, nor is it important to do so.

Timotheos

Every bit as much as you assume that eternal punishment is death.
This, Brother, is one of those arguments that you will not win, because you can not win it, nor is it important to do so.

Okay, let's not try to win an argument.

Let's discuss what the Bible has to say. As you say, we can't tell from Matthew 25:46 whether the eternal punishment is death or eternal conscious torment. What about other Bible passages? Can we determine what the wages of sin are from them? Do you know of any bible passage that specifically says what the wages of sin is? Or the fate of the wicked. If only the Bible would tell us somewhere exactly what the fate of the wicked is. Somewhere perhaps in Psalms, maybe the 37th Psalm, in the 20th verse, we could get a clue as to the fate of the wicked. Or if Jesus had only told us where the wide gate leads. What do you think? Is it a highway to hell as AC/DC claims or is it destruction, as Jesus claims? Who is our savior? Jesus Christ or Bon Scott???

Ardima

Timotheos said:
If you are like so many others who assume that "death" doesn't really mean death at all but separation, please do what all of them could not do, and show me the scripture that says "death doesn't really mean death, it means separation instead."

Actually, I am saying that you are right; death really does mean death. But you cannot ignore the fact that Jesus defeated death for all of mankind (every human being). This means that death is no longer the end. Jesus himself says this in John chapter 5. John 5:28,29 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice (29) and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment. And we cannot forget the fact that it is appointed for us to die only once. Hebrews 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment. The judgment is to abundant (life of the ages, that is, aionios) life or to be cast into the lake of fire. As I stated before the lake of fire is really a place of divine purification, the Glory of God. This means that since men will only die once, the "second death" can only be two things; Annihilation of the souls who are cast into it, or purification of the souls who are cast into it (meaning that the sinful human nature will be destroyed once and for all). Because those who are cast into the lake of fire are then found alive outside of the city of New Jerusalem, we can only conclude that the former has taken place within the lake of fire. Though they are reconciled unto life and freed from their sinful nature they cannot escape the labels that their sin has placed upon them, restricting them from entering New Jerusalem.

Those found in the Lambs book of life will also go through the lake of fire; however, they will not be hurt from the "second death." From this we may conclude that the "second death" is a painful purification process unless you are a believer in Christ. We must also remember that it is only those who are overcomers who will be found in the Lambs book of life, and on several occasions we see that it is possible to be stricken from this book. Our deeds have no consequence on our salvation (we cannot lose our salvation); however, they do help grant us access into New Jerusalem (we can loose our inheritance).

Basically what I am saying is that although hell is a real place, it is not "eternal" (the etymology of this word is what I was referring too). It is only to the end of the ages.... However those who find themselves in hell will never be granted into New Jerusalem where God will dwell and where there is abundant life.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
twisted theology.......

twisted theology.......

hell is an important part of their belief system
but
what they are really looking for
is
someone to send there

Sadly, this seems to be the case for some who relish in the thought of eternal torture for any sentient being. As we've shared already, its insane....and far from the will or nature of 'God', if indeed 'God' is Love.

ECT Meltdown

As long as souls have freedom of choice and ability to re-turn to 'God', the pathway is ever open to 'salvation'....since such is God's will.

pj

Timotheos

Actually, I am saying that you are right; death really does mean death. But...

Thanks, I completely agree with you up to the word "but". :cheers:

The topic of this thread is "Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?" Obviously it is not, since there is not even one verse in the entire Bible that says the wicked will live forever in hell when they die where they are to be tormented alive forever while they are dead, but conscious.

I'll start another thread where we can discuss whether everyone is eventually saved by Jesus Christ or whether the Bible says some perish as a result of their sins.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3372156&postcount=1

Aimiel

I know that your aren't talking about me, because I agree that there is eternal punishment.
Obviously, I am. You don't believe in ECT.
But that punishment is death, not eternal conscious torment.
That's your take on it. Taking all Scriptures have to say on the subject into account, that simply isn't plausible. For one thing: the punishment won't continue forever, since the 'death' of body and soul would end their punishment, through them no longer existing. Obviously Scripture describes ECT and this conscious torment was referred to by The Lord as: "the second death." He wouldn't waste his time waking them from the dead to just send them to death. Seeing that He did describe ECT, several ways, we have to assume that He said what He meant and meant what He said.
I am not attempting to "make an idol fit my thoughts on who God is", I an saying that I agree with the Bible which clearly tells us what the wages of sin is - DEATH, not Torment.
Actually, you prove me right, by stating your half-truth:

The wages of sin is: DEATH.

The whole Truth of this matter must include Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Why should there be any judgment at all, why not just leave the dead in their dead state? They must receive something other than death if they have to be raised from it to be judged. The Lake of Fire is where they will be punished, for eternity.
I don't say that God's Word doesn't mean what it says. Actually, I say just the opposite, God's Word does mean what it says. And God's Word says that the wicked will perish and WILL BE NO MORE. Postulating that God's Word doesn't really mean that the wicked will perish and be no more means that you are the one who is out of touch with Him.
They will be no more in the land of the living. We will be alive, vibrant and in-touch with our Creator even more than we are now. Those who receive judgment will be tormented for eternity. Scripture says so. I believe Scripture.

Timotheos

Obviously, I am. You don't believe in ECT.
That's correct, I don't believe in ECT, but you said I don't believe the scriptures and obviously, I do.

Taking all Scriptures have to say on the subject into account, that simply isn't plausible.
There is no scripture anywhere that says "the wicked will go to hell when they die where they are to be tormented alive for all eternity while they are dead." Taking all of scripture into account, the wicked will perish and will be no more.

For one thing: the punishment won't continue forever, since the 'death' of body and soul would end their punishment, through them no longer existing.
No, the punishment of death would continue for as long as the person is dead. The punishment is to not exist any longer. This punishment continues as long as the person does not exist. The punishment would only end with the person's resurrection to life. Since they missed out on that, the punishment of death continues forever, it is eternal. You are assuming that the only kind of punishment is conscious torment. That is not a good assumption.

Obviously Scripture describes ECT and this conscious torment was referred to by The Lord as: "the second death."
Where does scripture ever say that the second death is eternal conscious torment? Scripture never says that the second death is ECT.

He wouldn't waste his time waking them from the dead to just send them to death.
The Bible says that the wages of sin is death. Apparently God does not consider it a waste of time to judge sinners. How would you know anyway? This is what the Bible says that He does do, so it is moot anyway. Sorry if you don't like it. The Bible says it.

Seeing that He did describe ECT, several ways,
No, he didn't.
we have to assume that He said what He meant and meant what He said.
I do believe He meant what He said, and He said that the way is wide that leads to destruction, He said that unless you repent you will perish (Luke 13:3), and on and on.

Actually, you prove me right, by stating your half-truth:
The wages of sin is: DEATH.
That's not a half truth. That's Romans 6:23, Paul didn't tell a half truth. You see, this is how you deny the truth of the Bible. You don't believe that the Bible means what it says.

The whole Truth of this matter must include Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
You need to look at that verse in context.

Why should there be any judgment at all, why not just leave the dead in their dead state?
Because then there would be no Judgement. In order for God to be just, He must first judge the wicked, and THEN send them to their eternal death.

They must receive something other than death if they have to be raised from it to be judged.
No, the Bible says that the wages of sin is Death, not something other than death.

The Lake of Fire is where they will be punished, for eternity.
The Bible says that the lake of fire is the second death. Teh lake of fire (death) is the eternal punishment. NOT eternal conscious torment.

They will be no more in the land of the living. We will be alive, vibrant and in-touch with our Creator even more than we are now.
Yes, those who receive eternal life will have eternal life. Those who do not receive eternal life will not receive eternal life. They will perish, because they do not have eternal life.

Those who receive judgment will be tormented for eternity. Scripture says so. I believe Scripture.
You haven't shown any scripture that says this. You don't believe scripture, because Scripture says that the wages of sin is death, the wicked perish and are no more. Scripture says so, I believe scripture.

Timotheos

Aimiel, It's silly of us to argue when it is so simple to determine who is right.

I'll post the verse that says "The wages of sin is death", and you post the verse that says "The wages of sin is Eternal Conscious Torment". (If you can)

The one of us who can post the verse that supports their doctrine is correct, and the one of us who can't is incorrect. Then we can have a beverage. :cheers:

Here's my verse:
Romans 6:23

Aimiel

Taking all of scripture into account, the wicked will perish and will be no more.
Hardly. You're leaving out several key Scriptures, conveniently.
No, the punishment of death would continue for as long as the person is dead.
And God would raise them from the dead to give them the sentence of death? Sorry... simply doesn't make any sense.
The punishment is to not exist any longer. This punishment continues as long as the person does not exist.
No, it would obviously end the instant they no longer exist.
The punishment would only end with the person's resurrection to life.
They don't exist. That isn't punishment. It is non-existence. Torment is punishment.
Obviously Scripture describes ECT and this conscious torment was referred to by The Lord as: "the second death."
My argument exactly. They will be put to death forever. They will be given flesh and that flesh will be burned off of them and given back and burned off and given back... et cetera, ad infinitum.
The Bible says that the wages of sin is death. Apparently God does not consider it a waste of time to judge sinners. How would you know anyway? This is what the Bible says that He does do, so it is moot anyway. Sorry if you don't like it. The Bible says it.
I know what The Bible says. I don't have any problems with The Bible. My problem is with people who ignore, cross out or use scissors on verses that they don't like. ECT is in Scripture. Annihilation isn't.
I do believe He meant what He said, and He said that the way is wide that leads to destruction, He said that unless you repent you will perish (Luke 13:3), and on and on.
Being tormented forever in the Lake of Fire isn't life, it is eternal perishing. Eternal torment is death unspeakable.
That's not a half truth. That's Romans 6:23, Paul didn't tell a half truth. You see, this is how you deny the truth of the Bible. You don't believe that the Bible means what it says.
Representing Scripture as stating unequivocally that death is the final end of judgment and no one is burned forever in torment of flames is half-truth. Ignoring the Scripture I quoted you from Hebrews is typical of an annihilationist... you ignore Scriptures you don't like. You promote the Scriptures you do like. Do you only own half of a Bible?
The Bible says that the lake of fire is the second death. Teh lake of fire (death) is the eternal punishment. NOT eternal conscious torment.
Sorry, but ECT is described in the Lake of Fire, for devils and for men.
You haven't shown any scripture that says this. You don't believe scripture, because Scripture says that the wages of sin is death, the wicked perish and are no more. Scripture says so, I believe scripture.
You're fogging again. Please focus on what I've said, not just repeating yourself until it seems like what you've decided is the end-truth is all there is.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
dialogue direction......

dialogue direction......

Thanks!

There didn't seem to be much activity here. (on this topic)

Not to mention that most of the illogics of 'ECT' have already been elaborated here. Again, there's more involved here concerning what 'death' actually is, how its defined, and if spirit-souls continue on in the Afterlife as conscious entites. It also comes down to semantics, passage-interpretation, assumptions and speculations...from all sides of the argument, although some views may be more reasonable than others. We might also note that ECT or the state of the 'unsaved' is not an 'essential' for salvation, but a speculative conclusion based on 'interpretation' and 'assumption'.

There is more to it than just assuming a soul that sins....somehow 'dies',....and what this death entails, or if it entails a final punishment of 'eternal death' to that individual soul (to say nothing of the law of karma here and how it factors into things). Also there is the severity of sins and how these sins can be 'absolved' or 'atoned' for...without the soul suffering for such sin, after absolution is afforded. What degree of sinfulness merits a total wiping out of one's existence? How much leniency is afforded sinners who want to and choose to repent? (there are many issues here concerning time, free will, ministration of mercy, justice, and alluded to earlier.)

There is also much more than a traditional assumption of ECT as its fraught with problems as we've shared, which is why I hold to a more classic Spiritualist position on this (or variations thereof), which is more philosophically sound and less 'dogmatic' (or limited to only a 'biblical' interpretation). We as true seekers would be open to continually research our own views here, as they are subject to change as we learn more or discover something new and more tenable to us.

From a skeptics or agnostics POV...we could question both the belief that consciousness continues after death AND that souls either are completely destroyed or saved at some final judgment day or resurrection roll call. These are speculations, and beliefs about how we interpret the scriptures, or if we draw from sources also outside of the Bible and our own powers of reason.

pj

Timotheos

I understand that this verse is all you wish The Bible said about judgment. It clearly isn't. Jesus and the angel in Revelation both described ECT, but you can't admit that Truth.

Obviously, Romans 6:23 is not ALL the bible has to say about judgment. There is also John 3:16, Luke 13:3, Matthew 7:13, Ezekiel 18:4...
Didn't you even LOOK at the post where I listed over fifty verses in support of the Biblical Position?

How can you claim that this verse is all I wish the Bible said about judgment? Plus, you never posted the verse that says "The wages of sin is ECT". You and I both know that this is because there is no verse that says that.

StanJ53

FINAL WORD!

FINAL WORD!

I have properly exegeted that ECT is a fact and will happen. God's Word(scripture) is clear and those who refuse to acknowledge the tenor and style of scripture, are the only ones that have problems with this and most other aspects of God's Justice. Death ONLY relates to the physical and our meta-physical spirit/soul exists eternally, either IN our body as Eternal Life, or without our body as Eternal Punishment.
You have been properly instructed.

1. Matthew 25:46
    And these will depart to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
  2. 2 Thessalonians 1:9They will experience the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power
  3. Jude 1:7Likewise, Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighboring towns, which indulged in sexual immorality in the same way as the angels and pursued unnatural desire, are exhibited as an example by undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.
:Nineveh:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I have properly exegeted that ECT is a fact and will happen. God's Word(scripture) is clear and those who refuse to acknowledge the tenor and style of scripture, are the only ones that have problems with this and most other aspects of God's Justice. Death ONLY relates to the physical and our meta-physical spirit/soul exists eternally, either IN our body as Eternal Life, or without our body as Eternal Punishment.

And these will depart to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
  2. 2 Thessalonians 1:9They will experience the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power
  3. Jude 1:7Likewise, Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighboring towns, which indulged in sexual immorality in the same way as the angels and pursued unnatural desire, are exhibited as an example by undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

:shocked: i agree with you stan

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
ECT still problematic

ECT still problematic

Thats one 'belief', 'interpretation' or 'point of view' which has been challenged elsewhere. Justice is tempered with mercy, and true justice is redemptive in nature, not torturous or vindictive since Love's will is to save, empower and restore. An eternal punishment for sins committed in one-life-time is 'overkill' to say the least...unless a sinner is continually sinning and reaping the results of his sin 24-7 for all eternity. You are left with a sadistic 'god' of 'wrath' who strikes fear in the hearts of unbelievers, if they dont comply with his rules or accept his plan of salvation.

The passages above prove nothing but are figures of speech, terms of contrast to emphasize the state of the 'saved' vs. the 'unsaved', and do not prove ECT. (since ECT is already fraught with many problems philosophically and morally).

As far as those who believe in 'soul-death', this is assumed by the 'terms' employed regarding the end of the wicked,...such as 'perishing',...being 'destroyed', suffering 'de-struction', 'dying'....this meaning a termination of existence, the soul and its conscious-being dis-integrating, being expunged, being 'no more'. This kind of death is final and eternal, since there is no resurrection possible for a soul that has undergone a final death (cessation of existence).

A spiritualist view in general like your view holds that souls are more or less eternal by nature and must spend eternity somewhere or continue to exist 'consciously' in the worlds beyond and into infinity. However, ECT is rejected, and could only be true if a soul could be an eternal sinner...continually reaping the fruit of his evilness, as every soul must reap what it sows (in equal compensation as the law requires). A God of Love would never eternally punish his creatures, to no end or remedy (only a MONSTER would do such a thing). Therefore, the path of progress and 'salvation' is always open to souls to reform, repent and make atonement for their sins by returning to 'God', making reparation for their wrongdoings by doing righteousness. This view more sensibly satisfies the principles of justice and mercy, mediated by God's eternal Love and Wisdom. It matters not if some religionists deem this view 'biblical' or not by their own assumption,..because such stands on principle.

So, your 'analysis' is hardly the 'final word' among the different views of 'Christians', and those of us who see the limitations of claiming a view as 'biblical' or not since the term is abitrary.

pj

Timotheos

Hi Stan.

The verses you posted support the doctrine of eternal destruction, not eternal torment, although Matthew 25:46 could go either way, since both eternal torment and eternal destruction are forms of eternal punishment. 2 Thess 1:9 specifically and directly states that the penalty is eternal destruction, that flat out contradicts the view that the punishment is eternal torment. Likewise Sodom and Gomorrah are held out as examples of the coming punishment. We only have to look at the punishment of S&G to know what the coming punishment is. S&G were destroyed, S&G were not tormented.

Thanks for posting 2 verses that refute your position and support my position. Your "Final Word" failed to support your false belief in ECT.
So now "You have been properly instructed."