Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Doormat

Atemporal means without relation to time or timeless. I do agree, since time applies to temporal beings and not those in the spirit realm.

A timeless existence is one not only without end but also without beginning. An example is Christ, without beginning or end (Heb 7:3). Do you agree?

StanJ53

That doesn't help me understand what he means by atemporal punishment. Do you believe the punishment in "Hell" is atemporal? If so, explain what you mean by that.

Sorry I just saw Matt Slick and gave you the link.

Atemporal: independent of or unaffected by time : timeless

If FOREVER was used within the description of Hell, which it isn't, then it wouldn't be. But Hell is NOT eternal and it is not atemporal, as it is thrown into the lake of fire in Rev 20.

Aimiel

A timeless existence is one not only without end but also without beginning. An example is Christ, without beginning or end (Heb 7:3). Do you agree?
I do not. I believe that God, Alone, is Eternal. We are given eternal life, by The Lord because of His Blood. We have not always been. He is. Always has been. Always will be. He isn't effected by time. He is the same: yesterday, today and forever. He is God. We are granted eternal life in Him, but entering into the spirit realm will bring us out from under time, but will not bring us up to His level. He sits upon time, time doesn't wear upon Him. He isn't subject to time. He doesn't subscribe to newspapers to see what has happened. He knows the end from the beginning. To Him, time is a bubble, a moment, a second and no more. We will no longer be subject to time when we are in glorified bodies, but we will have had a beginning, having been created.

Aimiel

If FOREVER was used within the description of Hell, which it isn't, then it wouldn't be. But Hell is NOT eternal and it is not atemporal, as it is thrown into the lake of fire in Rev 20.
Hell is a spirit, as is Death, as they are seen by John riding the same horse or at least Hell following close behind the 'pale' horse:

Revelation 6:8
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Aimiel,

I have a question for you.

Several pages back you posted a statement by someone named Matt Slick (?). He stated the punishment in "Hell" is atemporal. I assume you agree with him.

What do you think he means by that?

Slick is Calvinistic, from CARM (google it)...counter=cult ministry....has some good things, but also some wrong ideas.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Atemporal means without relation to time or timeless. I do agree, since time applies to temporal beings and not those in the spirit realm.

Personal beings are not timeless. They experience endless duration which allows them to think, act, feel. Atemporality is not biblical nor logical in relation to personal beings. It might make sense with math and numbers, though. Sequence, succession, duration=time is not a limitation on an eternal or everlasting being.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

An eternal existence, God alone, is without beginning and end. This does not mean He is timeless, but experiences endless time without beginning/end.

Man is an evelasting being with a beginning, but with no end, by God's creative design (hence the need for two destinies).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hell is a spirit, as is Death, as they are seen by John riding the same horse or at least Hell following close behind the 'pale' horse:

Revelation 6:8
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Hell is a place, not a spirit. Hell/Death in this case is used figuratively (personified, etc.).

Aimiel

Hell is a place, not a spirit. Hell/Death in this case is used figuratively (personified, etc.).
The book is called, "Revelation," for a reason: Jesus was revealing Truth to us. The spirit of Death and the spirit of Hell were seen riding. Yes, death is a verb and yes, hell is a place; but they are also spirits, just as Control is a spirit and powers, principalities and rulers of the darkness of this world are spirits. Those who ignore spiritual truth don't know what they stumble over. Paul said he didn't want us to be ignorant of Satan, but many people are, to this day.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
An eternal existence, God alone, is without beginning and end. This does not mean He is timeless..
Sorry, but he beyond time, and is timeless.
Man is an evelasting being with a beginning, but with no end, by God's creative design (hence the need for two destinies).
Man is not everlasting; he would have an end in death if it weren't for God help. Everything dies; a suchthing is why evolution is false.

Aimiel

But I don't need to believe there be a trinity to believe that.
I don't think trinity theory is Scriptural. You don't hear of anyone calling upon the Septune God, do you?

Revelation 4:5
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Zeke

Koine, not Kione...

The grammar is parallel and supports punishment and life that is everlasting, without end (heaven/hell, not annihilation).

Yea we should torture people on death row instead of killing them, Christians should have the sounds of that torture piped into their churches and homes day and night, a little karmic reaping and sowing would stop this insanity real quick.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I don't think trinity theory is Scriptural. You don't hear of anyone calling upon the Septune God, do you?

Revelation 4:5
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Father, Son, Holy Spirit is biblical, historical, orthodox.

Are you a modalist?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yea we should torture people on death row instead of killing them, Christians should have the sounds of that torture piped into their churches and homes day and night, a little karmic reaping and sowing would stop this insanity real quick.

Hell is not a medieval torture chamber, but a place of separation/selfishness away from the saints in heaven and on earth.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Hell is not a medieval torture chamber, but a place of separation/selfishness away from the saints in heaven and on earth.
I meet people who cannot bear even the name of Jesus, some become violently angry. These will not share eternity with Him unless they repent.