Is Calvinism Wrong?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you bothered to peruse my posts about the 'Gospel of the grace of God' as preached by the Apostle Paul, you'd notice the serious tone involved in what I'm presenting.
GM, we have had several lengthy back and fourths in the past. In not a single one of these, wherein I did the heavy lifting, were you moved to do the same. Rather, your responses were but the usual, "too many words", "cannot understand you", "I disagree" "Calvinists!" and similarly so.

Telling me about how sincere you are about important matters is no substitute for demonstrating the same when we are actually in direct dialog. I won't take the time to fish them out to prove my point. You know this to be the case. And by all means, please point me to what you consider your best example at actual interpretative effort. I will be happy to read it and hope to be edified by it.

In fact, one need only look to the more recent lament over Jerusalem passage by which you appealed as a libertarian free will teaching passage. Following my own provided interpretation, when others took issue with your assertion, actually seeing even a wee bit of merit in my provided interpretation of the same passage, what did you do? Defend your interpretation in substance? No. You simply waved those that differ with you off with a casual you have your opinion, I have mine equivalent. It is almost as if anyone that even hints that maybe, even in the slightest sense, that AMR may be on to something, is beyond your willingness to concede or even contemplate.

There is but one correct interpretation of any passage of Scripture. That correct interpretation is what the writer of that passage, superintended by the Holy Spirit, meant when he wrote it with full knowledge of the audience and the circumstances of whom he was speaking and/or writing. If we are unwilling to get inside the "head and heart" of these writers, stepping into their shoes, if you will, there is little hope in coming to a fuller understanding of their inspired words.

We all cannot have differing views and claim we each have the correct view about this or that passage of Scripture. Our differences are but one of the means used by God through which the truth emerges: so says Scripture. If no one is willing to defend their opinions, merely proof texting without context, no truth will be brought to the light.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm trying this thread again. :think:

Well, now it works. AMR, are you messing with me? :chuckle:
Something amiss with the site and posting from time to time. I make a post, then go back to edit it and nothing comes up in the editor window. So I just delete the post and enter it anew. Then no one can quote its content: quoting the post does not grab the content. Sigh. It's all GM's fault. ;)

AMR

Rosenritter

AMR, 'DEMUR' you try
Spoiler
to put 'Old GM' down, the 'MUR' you expose your lack of an 'sense of humor.' If you bothered to peruse my posts about the 'Gospel of the grace of God' as preached by the Apostle Paul, you'd notice the serious tone involved in what I'm presenting. I NEVER use my 'Gift of Wit' when the conversation involves the TRUE Gospel. Obviously, you don't understand the true roots of Wit and Humor Your, slight (the VERB meaning) pertaining to 'Old GM': "country boy" shtick." is a far cry from the kind of WIT I'm accustomed to using in my everyday life. If you were around me for long enough (In real life) you'd see what I mean. I was born with an particular skill of being able to entertain people around me. Sometimes, it included MANY people. I'm familiar with (and use) many forms of humor and wit. I've also been blessed with the ability to impersonate and do impressions of copious amounts of Actors, Politicians, and average people I'm around.

I'm smart enough to KNOW that not EVERYBODY appreciates humor or wit. So, I'm able to adjust my way of presenting myself around those who take THEMSELVES, way too seriously. In other words, I have a very serious side (especially when it comes to the Gospel) and a humorous side.
I know you won't be able to UNDERSTAND this post, however, others will.

[h=2]THE GUNNING FOG INDEX IS 10.38[/h]

Jerry Shugart

Is there a Calvinist who will defend the theory of Original Sin and at the same time address the fact that the author of the book of Hebrews wrote that the Lord Jesus was made like His brethren in "all things"?:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people"
(Heb.2:17).​

Rosenritter

Is there a Calvinist who will defend the theory of Original Sin and at the same time address the fact that the author of the book of Hebrews wrote that the Lord Jesus was made like His brethren in "all things"?:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people"
(Heb.2:17).​

You don't need to be a Calvinist to recognize that there is some merit to "Original Sin" and as such it is not dependent on principles of Calvinism. I had earlier asked how you could explain that Jesus could say that he would raise his own body in three days. I anticipate that you would be unable to answer without at least acknowledging that Jesus was at least something more than a mortal man. He had memory and knowledge from before his birth and power and authority exceeding man as well, even being able to forgive sin.

Essentially, the answer is that your understanding of "all things" likely has a different application than the author's intent in that passage. For example, would "all brethren" mean that everyone living has a physical father and mother? Jesus did not, he was begotten of the Holy Spirit, demonstrating that "all things" has an intended application and cannot be "all" in the absolute sense. Seek for application in that which might apply for "to be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God" and "to make reconciliation for the sins of the people."

So what does Jesus need to be merciful? He needs to be able to bestow mercy, to be able to forgive sin. Only God can forgive sin.

What does Jesus need to be a high priest? He needs to be of the people, to understand their trials, yet pure before God. Jesus was tempted as we are, he knows the pull of the flesh, but that does not mean that his character and spirit was innately prone to sin like we are. His was the character that was already perfect from before the world began.

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
I just hard deleted a couple of posts that got overly nasty--arguments from both sides of the fence on this. Please debate from scripture and in a civil manner. Is that too much to ask?

Christians have a moral obligation to warn those that blasphemy God and his Son Jesus Christ that they are lost and hell bound if they do not repent, Colossians 1:28. If Christians don't do this, who will?

beloved57

Christians have a moral obligation to warn those that blasphemy God and his Son Jesus Christ that they are lost and hell bound if they do not repent, Colossians 1:28. If Christians don't do this, who will?
Let this be a warning to you, you teach that Christ death alone cannot save the sinners He died for!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Robert Pate

Banned
Let this be a warning to you, you teach that Christ death alone cannot save the sinners He died for!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

What I am saying is that Jesus atoned for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

What you are saying is blasphemy against God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

beloved57

What I am saying is that Jesus atoned for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

What you are saying is blasphemy against God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Dont you believe sinners Christ died for, atoned for, die in their sins?