Is Calvinism Wrong?

Robert Pate

Banned
The Greek words of that verse say that our salvation is δῶρον dōron: a sacrifice or gift offered to God.

If salvation has NOT been provided for EVERYONE as a free gift from God, Hebrews 2:9, then God is not just. If God is not just then how are you going to have faith in him? It is not humanly possible to have faith in a God that predestinates people to hell before they are born.

Rosenritter

We shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ and answer for the things that we have said. If you want to say that God predestinates people to hell before they are born or say that Jesus failed to atone for the sins of the whole world, then you have condemned yourself to hell.

So are you suggesting that "those people" are irrevocably destined to hell because they say something terrible about God, and that we shouldn't try to persuade them effectively? I'm suggesting that if your current method hasn't been scoring to well, maybe better results might results from a change in tactics. But that's assuming your goal is to win the person rather than to simply denounce. Denouncement is easy. Lots of people denounce.

Robert Pate

Banned
The Greek words of that verse say that our salvation is δῶρον dōron: a sacrifice or gift offered to God.

You have apparently made a mistake. Strong's Concordance, word #G4991 salvation means rescue or safety or health, deliverance, salvation, save, deliverance.

Nothing about a gift offered to God.

genuineoriginal

If salvation has NOT been provided for EVERYONE as a free gift from God, Hebrews 2:9, then God is not just.
God does not give out salvation to just anyone.
God only gives salvation to those that He is pleased with.
That is what Grace is all about, God doing something for those people He decides are worthy of His favor (Grace).
If God is not just then how are you going to have faith in him? It is not humanly possible to have faith in a God that predestinates people to hell before they are born.
Never underestimate the depths of depravity that humans can reach.

Robert Pate

Banned
So are you suggesting that "those people" are predestined to hell because they say something terrible about God, and that we shouldn't try to persuade them effectively? I'm suggesting that if your current method hasn't been scoring to well, maybe better results might results from a change in tactics. But that's assuming your goal is to win the person rather than to simply denounce. Denouncement is easy. Lots of people denounce.

In the Old Testament people were saved by faith in God's promise of a savior, Romans 4:3. The promise of a savior is a thread that runs through the Old Testament and finds its fulfillment in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Things have not changed. We are still justified by faith, Romans 5:1. Instead of looking forward to a savior, we look back. No one will be saved that does not believe that Jesus has atoned for their sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Those that are saved have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.

Robert Pate

Banned
God does not give out salvation to just anyone.
God only gives salvation to those that He is pleased with.
That is what Grace is all about, God doing something for those people He decides are worthy of His favor (Grace).

Never underestimate the depths of depravity that humans can reach.

The God that you believe in divisive and unjust. No one is worthy of salvation.

genuineoriginal

Then how do you say that salvation works? You do not believe Ephesians 2:8-9?
Paul was opposed to the teaching of the Pharisees who taught works without faith.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.​

Grace is never unmerited, but whether your thoughts or actions merit God's Grace is up to Him alone to decide.
If you are a proud person that boasts of your works, you will not please God and will not receive His Grace.

James 4:6
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.​

God is looking for people that are shining jewels among the rest.
These are the people He is choosing to offer to Himself.
These are people that fear God, serve God, and are righteous in their thoughts and deeds.

Malachi 3:16-18
16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
17 And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.​

genuineoriginal

You have apparently made a mistake. Strong's Concordance, word #G4991 salvation means rescue or safety or health, deliverance, salvation, save, deliverance.

Nothing about a gift offered to God.
You didn't see the word "gift" in the verse?

Ephesians 2:8
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift δῶρον dōron of God:​

Here are all the instances of δῶρον dōron in the Bible with the definition for that instance.

g1435 δῶρον dōron
  • gifts offered in expression of honour
    (Matthew 2:11;Revelation 11:10; )​
  • of sacrifices and other gifts offered to God
    (Matthew 5:23;Matthew 5:24;Matthew 8:4;Matthew 15:5;Matthew 23:18;Matthew 23:19;Mark 7:11;Ephesians 2:8;Hebrews 5:1;Hebrews 8:3;Hebrews 8:4;Hebrews 9:9;Hebrews 11:4; )​
  • of money cast into the treasury for the purposes of the temple and for the support of the poor
    (Luke 21:1;Luke 21:4; )​

beloved57

In the Old Testament people were saved by faith in God's promise of a savior, Romans 4:3. The promise of a savior is a thread that runs through the Old Testament and finds its fulfillment in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Things have not changed. We are still justified by faith, Romans 5:1. Instead of looking forward to a savior, we look back. No one will be saved that does not believe that Jesus has atoned for their sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Those that are saved have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.
You deny salvation by the dying of Christ alone since you teach sinners He died for are lost!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

genuineoriginal

Didn't people have to come to the wedding banquet when bidden for the invitation to have any real effect?
Merely accepting salvation as a gift offered to you is like showing up at the wedding without a wedding garment.

Matthew 22:11-14
11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
14 For many are called, but few are chosen.​

That is not how salvation works.

genuineoriginal

The God that you believe in divisive and unjust.
God may be divisive

Matthew 10:35
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.​

But He is not unjust.

Ezekiel 18:25-28
25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?
26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.​

No one is worthy of salvation.
You are not the one making that decision.
Stop trying to shut up the kingdom of heaven against men.

Robert Pate

Banned
God may be divisive

Matthew 10:35
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.​

But He is not unjust.

Ezekiel 18:25-28
25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?
26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.​

You are not the one making that decision.
Stop trying to shut up the kingdom of heaven against men.

He is not divisive either.

Do tell me what you are going to do that will make a sinner like yourself worthy of salvation?