Is Calvinism Wrong?

Robert Pate

Banned
I have been away. I am thankful for my brothers and sisters "In Christ" that continuously uphold the wonderful truths of God's word.

The religious like to make the Gospel complicated. The Gospel is not complicated. it is so simple that even a small child can understand it, 2 Corinthians 11:3.

Simple child like faith is what pleases God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ, Mark 10:15.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
I reckon his feet are more substantial than yours. :chuckle:

No, Faither, the word "hearing" in Romans 10:17 is NOT referring to a courtroom hearing. A simple reading of the text will tell you that.

STRIKE ONE....
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?​

STRIKE TWO....

and how shall they hear without a preacher?

STRIKE THREE....YOU'RE OUT.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.​

Heard, hear, hearing, heard....notice anything?

Again , all you have to do is read the definition and use of the Greek word akoe in the Strongs .

( Compare to a courtroom hearing ) are the exact words .

Robert Pate

Banned
Again , all you have to do is read the definition and use of the Greek word akoe in the Strongs .

( Compare to a courtroom hearing ) are the exact words .

I looked it up. It is word #G189 taken from #G191.

Here is what it says. Hearing (the act, the sense or the thing heard):- audience, ear, fame, which ye heard, hearing, preached, report, rumor.

#G191, to hear (in various senses):- give (in the) audience (of) come (to the ears),(shall) hear, hearer, harken, be noised, be reported, understand.

None of the above compares to a courtroom hearing. Maybe you should leave the Greek to the Greeks.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
I looked it up. It is word #G189 taken from #G191.

Here is what it says. Hearing (the act, the sense or the thing heard):- audience, ear, fame, which ye heard, hearing, preached, report, rumor.

#G191, to hear (in various senses):- give (in the) audience (of) come (to the ears),(shall) hear, hearer, harken, be noised, be reported, understand.

None of the above compares to a courtroom hearing. Maybe you should leave the Greek to the Greeks.

Maybe you should learn how to read .

If you look in the Strongs expanded for akoe 189 , it describes more than what you said . It says that akoe or the word " hearing " used twice in Rom. 10:17 is ,

I'll give it to you word for word from the Strongs akoe 189 ," 7b) the recieving of a message Rom. 10:17 , something more than the mere sense of " hearing " ; an interaction with the word and a decision is always made ( compare to a courtroom hearing .)

When Rom. 10:17 says Faith comes by hearing , hearing by the word of God , it puts us in the judges seat , judging God and His Word .

I think Rom 10:17 should have read , Faith comes by " A" hearing , " A " hearing by the word of God. This putting God on the judgement seat , judging our faith , our pisteuo , our surrendered life .

Which one of those examples would you stand before God and claim ?

I won't talk about this further , being I only talk about God ways and His Word with those who at least know , acknowledge , and are practicing true NT Faith and faithing ( pisteuo ) .That is what you all need to be focusing on .

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Sometimes, no doubt, certain Posters have a hidden agenda backing their personal interpretations. What is Faithers, reasoning?

Warning you and other what true NT saving Faith and faithing is , pistis and pisteuo .

This brings to you a choice that must be made on one hand , and eliminates any excuses like not knowing when standing before God .

That is simply my agenda . Hope you make the right choice , only a few will .

Faither

BANNED
Banned
It is not uncommon for the religious to believe that they have a private interpretation that no one else has, 2 Peter 1:20.

The NT writers have it , the Greek dictionary writers have it . The English translators weren't given the ability to have it , so as the result , you and you followers don't have it . But you could !

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you look in the Strongs...

Sometimes the well-worn dictum, "if in Strong's it is Wrong" applies.

Which is really to say, Strong provides glosses. It is not a lexicon. You want and need a lexicon, then you should use the gold standard, commonly known as BAGD ("bag-d" newer version, or BDAG ("bee-dag" older version):
https://www.amazon.com/Greek-English-Lexicon-Testament-Christian-Literature/dp/0226039331/

That said, BAGD/BDAG is not for the faint of heart and it assumes one has facility with the Biblical languages:

ἀκοή, ῆς, ἡ (in form ἀκουή as early as Hom.; freq., incl. ins, pap, LXX; PsSol 8:5; ApcSed; ApcMos 8; EpArist, Test12Patr, Philo, Joseph., Just.; Ath. [1, 2]).
the faculty of hearing, hearing (Philo, Rer. Div. Her. 12 of images οἷς ὦτα μέν ἐστιν, ἀκοαὶ δ̓ οὐκ ἔνεισιν; given by God Did., Gen. 162, 21) 1 Cor 12:17; but mng. 3 is also prob.
the act of hearing, listening (Pla., Theaet. 142d λόγος ἄξιος ἀκοῆς; Antig. Car. 129 ἀκοῆς ἄξια; BGU 1080, 6; EpArist 142 w. ὅρασις; Jos., Ant. 8, 171; w. ὄψις 172) w. βλέμμα 2 Pt 2:8 (cp. New Docs 3, 61). ἀκοῇ ἀκούειν (Polyaenus, Exc. 55, 2; LXX) Mt 13:14; Ac 28:26 (both Is 6:9); B 9:2 (cp. Ex 15:26). εἰς ἀ. ὠτίου ὑπακούειν obey upon hearing with the ear, i.e. as soon as one hears B 9:1 (Ps 17:45; cp. 2 Km 22:45). ἀ. πίστεως hearing of faith (=that 'hearing' which Christians call faith) Gal 3:2, 5 (SWilliams, NTS 35, '89, 82-93, but most prefer mng. 4b).
the organ w. which one hears, ear (Sappho et al.; POxy 129, 4; PGM 4, 306; 323; 2 Macc 15:39; EpArist 166) esp. pl. (Dio Chrys. 15 [32], 11; Aelian, VH 3, 1 p. 39, 21; oft. Philo; Jos., Ant. 8, 172; SibOr 4, 172; Just., D. 131, 4; Orig., C. Cels. 1, 48, 33) αἱ ἀκοαί Mk 7:35. εἰσφέρειν εἰς τὰς ἀ. bring to someone's ears Ac 17:20 (cp. Soph., Ajax 147). εἰς τὰς ἀ. τινος in someone's ears Lk 7:1. νωθρὸς (q.v.) ταῖς ἀ. Hb 5:11. κνήθεσθαι τὴν ἀ. have itching ears (i.e. they like to have them tickled) 2 Ti 4:3, cp. vs. 4. Fig. περιτέμνειν τὰς ἀ. circumcise the ears=make someone attentive B 9:4; 10:12.
that which is heard
a
fame, report, rumor (Hom. et al.; Sb 7205, 8; 1 Km 2:24; 2 Km 13:30; 3 Km 2:28; 10:7) Mt 4:24; 14:1; 24:6; Mk 1:28; 13:7; 1 Cl 47:7.
b
account, report, message (Thu. 1, 20, 1 ἀκοὴν δέχεσθαι of things recounted by others in the past; Just., D. 8, 4 ματαίαν ἀ. παραδεξάμενοι) πιστεύειν τῇ ἀ. (cp. Jos., C. Ap. 2, 14; Just., D. 8, 4 [Is 53:1]; Did., Gen. 218, 2) J 12:38; Ro 10:16f; 1 Cl 16:3 (all three Is 53:1). ἐξ ἀ. πίστεως as the result of a message (proclamation) which elicited (only) faith Gal 3:2, 5 (difft. Williams, 2 above). λόγος τῆς ἀκοῆς the word of proclamation (preaching) Hb 4:2. λόγος ἀκοῆς παῤ ἡμῶν τοῦ θεοῦ the word of divine proclamation that goes out from us 1 Th 2:13 (RSchippers, NovT 8, '66, 223-34 tradition).—AOepke, Die Missionspredigt d. Ap. Pls. 1920, 40ff.—DELG s.v. ἀκούω. M-M. TW. Sv.

From a kinder and gentler, word study resource:

ἀκοή [See Stg: <G189>]akoé; gen. akoés, fem. noun from akoúō <G191>, to hear. Hearing, the faculty of hearing (Rom. 10:16, 17 [cf. Matt. 13:14; Acts 28:26; Gal. 3:2, 5]; Sept.: Ex. 15:26; 19:5); the sense of hearing (1 Cor. 12:17; Heb. 5:11); the organ or instrument of hearing, the ear (Mark 7:35; Acts 17:20; 2 Tim. 4:3, 4); something which is or may be heard, a rumor, report (Matt. 4:24; 14:1; 24:6; Mark 1:28; 13:7; Luke 7:1; John 12:38; Rom. 10:16; Gal. 3:2, 5, doctrine taught and received with faith; 1 Thess. 2:13; 2 Tim. 4:3; Heb. 4:2; 2 Pet. 2:8; Sept.: Isa. 53:1; 2 Sam. 13:30).Syn.: oús <G3775>, ear; ōtíon <G5621>, a diminutive of oús, ear; phémē <G5346>, fame, report; lógos <G3056>, a word, report, account; échos <G2279>, noise, sound, rumor, echo; aggelía <G31>, a message, proclamation, news; presbeía <G4242>, embassy, a message, messengers; kérugma <G2782>, proclamation, preaching; marturía <G3141>, witness, report; diágnōsis <G1233>, diagnosis, hearing for the purpose of discerning; akroatérion <G201>, a place of hearing.
Ant.: parakoé <G3876>, not hearing, disobedience; hēsuchía <G2271>, silence.

Lastly, one from Mounce, always a favorite of many:

HEARING
New Testament Noun: (ako), GK 198 (S 189), 24x. ako can mean “hearing,” but it can also refer to the organ of hearing (“ ear”) or to what is actually heard (“ message”). In emphasizing the importance of all the parts of the body (i.e., the church), Paul asks, “If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing?” (1 Cor. 12: 17). Jesus quotes Isa. 6: 9, “You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving” (Mt. 13: 14; cf. Acts 28: 26). When Jesus heals a man who is deaf, Mark writes, “the man’s ears were opened” (Mk. 7: 35). The philosophers in the Athenian marketplace report about Paul’s teaching, “You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears” (Acts 17: 20; cf. 2 Tim. 4: 3). Matthew comments on the reports that were spreading about Jesus and writes, “News about him spread all over” (Mt. 4: 24; cf. 14: 1; 24: 6; Mk. 1: 28; 13: 7). In a similar vein Paul writes, “Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Rom. 10:17). See NIDNTT-A, 29-31.

The verse in question, Romans 10:17 is not a complex verse, despite a few odd renderings here and there:
https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Romans 10:17

How do we apprehend faith? By hearing.
How do we hear the message of our faith? By God first acting.

We all have ears attached to our heads that process sound waves that our mind translates into meanings. So all hear the outward call of the Gospel. But only those granted "ears to hear" by God, which is part of the inward call of God, will translate those words into a positive personal meaning of which he or she will appropriate in faith.

On the matter of using Strong's the following cautionaries are worth a read:

http://www.tidings.org/wp/?p=3505

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/3-ways-not-to-use-greek-in-bible-study/

https://hermeneutics.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/923/strongs-is-a-concordance-not-a-lexicon

https://openoureyeslord.com/2016/08/16/strongs-concordance-a-good-tool-gone-bad/

AMR