ECT IS ACTS 2:38 and verse 39 MISUNDERSTOOD , YES IT IS !!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.

6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”

3 years of ministry plus another 40 days and this is their question. Right in line with what happened in Acts 2-8.

DAN P

Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name(singular) under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name(Jesus), and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name(Jesus)

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name(singular) of the Father(Jesus), and of the Son(Jesus), and of the Holy Ghost (Jesus):

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ(God) for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost(God).

Titles are functions of God that are used to describe to us what funtion he is speaking of. Father, Son and Holy Ghost are just three of many titles of God, they are not a name. Jesus is a name that is higher than any name.
Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Hi and I see your respond , did not address my reply !!

dan p

Danoh

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Not to believe this scripture means one doesn't understand what the 'gift' from God is.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

You are confused...

The gift in Acts 2 is THEIR New Covenant's promise - the Spirit - that THAT in Acts 2 forward UNTIL Paul, had been a foretaste of THEIR "world to come" see Hebrews 2.

With Israel's fall at Acts 7:51 per Matthew 12:30-32, THAT changed and the FORETASTE passed from being A FORETASTE OF ISRAEL's PROMISE to a TEMPORARY witness (through its' signs) AGAINST THAT NATION that God was now visiting the Gentiles DIRECTLY rather than, AS PROPHESIED, thru Israel - Acts 10; Acts 11; Acts 15, Rom. 11:25; Gal. 2; Gal. 3; 1 Cor. 14, etc.

Interplanner

You are confused...

The gift in Acts 2 is THEIR New Covenant's promise - the Spirit - that THAT in Acts 2 forward UNTIL Paul, had been a foretaste of THEIR "world to come" see Hebrews 2.

With Israel's fall at Acts 7:51 per Matthew 12:30-32, THAT changed and the FORETASTE passed from being A FORETASTE OF ISRAEL's PROMISE to a TEMPORARY witness (through its' signs) AGAINST THAT NATION that God was now visiting the Gentiles DIRECTLY rather than, AS PROPHESIED, thru Israel - Acts 10; Acts 11; Acts 15, Rom. 11:25; Gal. 2; Gal. 3; 1 Cor. 14, etc.

It is worthless to refer to Acts 7 as the 'fall' of Israel, because Paul continues all through Acts to refer to the option that they could still save themselves from their particular kind of unbelief. That proposition by Danoh is worthless Dispensational thinking and should be ignored.

Interplanner

You are confused...

The nations were in fact visited by all the people who returned home from Pentecost weekend. In one generation the Gospel had been heard from Spain to India. Mostly by Jewish missionaries like Paul. Paul himself, as Danoh knows, called himself the minister to the Gentiles--not that he ever excluded contact from his own, but he did this in addition.

Most of what Danoh is saying is very poorly put together.

Danoh

It is worthless to refer to Acts 7 as the 'fall' of Israel, because Paul continues all through Acts to refer to the option that they could still save themselves from their particular kind of unbelief. That proposition by Danoh is worthless Dispensational thinking and should be ignored.

No, book based expert - with Israel's fall AS A NATION, Paul's ministry is a provoking one, in hopes that he "might save some of THEM," (INDIVIDUAL Israelites), Rom. 11:12-14.

Danoh

The nations were in fact visited by all the people who returned home from Pentecost weekend. In one generation the Gospel had been heard from Spain to India. Mostly by Jewish missionaries like Paul. Paul himself, as Danoh knows, called himself the minister to the Gentiles--not that he ever excluded contact from his own, but he did this in addition.

Most of what Danoh is saying is very poorly put together.

There you go again, mixing the fables of men you read "about" in your endless "books about" with Scripture's own narrative.

:doh:

turbosixx

Now what is not seen by many is the next verb " YE SHALL RECEIVE " is in the FUTURE TENSE ,

Of course it's future tense, it's based on conditions being met.

38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

Much like:
Do your homework and clean your room and ye will receive $10.

DAN P

38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

Much like:

Hi and since you agree where it you " SHll receive " is in the FUTURE TENSE and in the MIDDLE VOICE and in the Indicative Mood , let me know what that MEANS ??

DAN P

Aner

Dan

Dan,

Great question!

Here is the reality - Acts text was first - Matt text came later. The Matt text is not original. The earliest extant Greek textual authority is from the 4th C - apparently Sinaticus.

I would stick with the clear, repeated texts - rather than the one-off text as a hermeneutical basis.

DAN P

Dan

Dan,

Great question!

Here is the reality - Acts text was first - Matt text came later. The Matt text is not original. The earliest extant Greek textual authority is from the 4th C - apparently Sinaticus.

I would stick with the clear, repeated texts - rather than the one-off text as a hermeneutical basis.

Hi and why believe that ? What is your point in that ??

Are you saying that Acts was written before it HAPPENED and than came Matthew - John ??

dan p

Danoh

Much like:

Therein lies the hole in relying on the Greek ALONE.

While, in contrast to DP, but in a SIMILAR way, you, Turbosixx; have relied on YOUR sense of the English mood or tense, ALONE.

The Spirit, through Peter in the very next chapter - Acts chapter 3 - makes it clear to the reader with eyes willing to look into these things, what Peter's audience there in Acts 2 and 3, would have RIGHTLY understood - delivery on THEIR Promise was YET FUTURE...

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

It is WHEN the Lord returns that He will blot out THEIR SINS AS A NATION .

It is THEN that THEY SHALL receive the gift of the Holy Spirit - AFTER He blots out THEIR sins, AFTER He returns.

THEY WERE THEN living in THEIR last days BUT God TEMPORAILY INTERRUPTED said last days.

Acts 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 3:24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 3:25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Verse 23 is this from...

Matthew 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

BUT that was TEMPORARILY INTERRUPTED....

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Thus, the ACTUAL sense of - get this - the words of the writer of HEBREWS TO - THE HEBREWS as to the fact that as concening THEIR nation as to God's "covenant unto THEM..."

Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Why?

"For this is My Covenant unto THEM."

And THAT is NOT Paul's "gospel OF" (belonging to) the UNcircumcision" Gal. 2:7-9.

Paul's is NOT Peter's repent for the remission of sins and you shall recieve IN THAT FUTURE WHEN THE LORD RETURNS UNTO ISRAEL.

Rather, Paul's is...

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Why? The UNcircumcision were NEVER under God's Covenants of Promise unto ISRAEL.

Danoh

And guess where lost, Jews ended up with Israel's fall?

In spiritual UNcircumcision as had been the case with Paul, Acts 7:51; 1 Tim. 1:13.

turbosixx

It is WHEN the Lord returns that He will blot out THEIR SINS AS A NATION .

I don't see from the context where it speaks of "as a nation", could you please point that out. It looks to me like individually. He does mention the whole in v23, "among the people".

Acts 3:17 "And now, brethren, I know that you acted in ignorance, just as your rulers did also. 18 But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. 19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; 20 and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you, 21 whom heaven must receive until the period of restoration of all things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from ancient time. 22 Moses said, 'The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brethren; to Him you shall give heed to everything He says to you. 23 And it will be that every soul that does not heed that prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.'

He also points out the prophecies are talking about the present days, not future days.
3:24 And likewise, all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and his successors onward, also announced these days.

DAN P

Therein lies the hole in relying on the Greek ALONE.

While, in contrast to DP, but in a SIMILAR way, you, Turbosixx; have relied on YOUR sense of the English mood or tense, ALONE.
:

Hi and next time what you wrote happens , on the Gree tenses , voices and Moods , let me know and the new testament was WRITTEN in Greek and NOR ENGLISH , REMEMBER THAT !!

You did not explain what Acts 2:38 and 39 really mean , did you ??

dan p

turbosixx

Why? The UNcircumcision were NEVER under God's Covenants of Promise unto ISRAEL.

Sure they were.

Rom. 9:23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.
Paul then quotes where the OT said so.

25 As He says also in Hosea,

"I will call those who were not My people, 'My people,'

And her who was not beloved, 'beloved.'"

26"And it shall be that in the place where it was said to them, 'you are not My people,'

There they shall be called sons of the living God."

Jews and Gentiles are the children of promise.
Rom. 9:7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham's descendants, but: "through Isaac your descendants will be named." 8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.

Besides,the promie was to Christ not the Israelites.
Gal. 3:16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.

Who are the children of promise? Christians because the promise was to Christ and those who believe in him are children of promise.
Gal. 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.