ECT IS ACTS 2:38 and verse 39 MISUNDERSTOOD , YES IT IS !!

DAN P

Hi to all and I have always misunderstood Acts 2:38 and 39 , until I began to understand Dispensationalism and evenually left a So Baptist church !!

First all CONTEXT is ignorned , in Acts 2:36 as Luke references Israel and I know that someone will say , BUT what about Judah and it is included for the New Covenant is given to both in Heb 8:8 !!

In Acts 2:38 , the first verb is " SAID / ESTI " which is in the IMPERFECT TENSE which STOPPED in approximately 29 years or Acts 28:28 !!

This means it is not happening NOW !!

The following 2 verbs " REPENT and BAPTIZED " by context were gien to the HOUSE

Now what is not seen by many is the next verb " YE SHALL RECEIVE " is in the FUTURE TENSE , so that means verse 39 will be in operation during JABOB'S TROUBLE in the first 3 1/2 years of the Tribulation !!

This then means that even the CHILDREN of verse 38 will receive the POWER of the Holy Spirit during JACOB'S TROUBLE in the first 3 1/2 year of the Great Tribulation !!

dan p

DAN P

Hi to all and I have always misunderstood Acts 2:38 and 39 , until I began to understand Dispensationalism and evenually left a So Baptist church !!

First all CONTEXT is ignorned , in Acts 2:36 as Luke references Israel and I know that someone will say , BUT what about Judah and it is included for the New Covenant is given to both in Heb 8:8 !!

In Acts 2:38 , the first verb is " SAID / ESTI " which is in the IMPERFECT TENSE which STOPPED in approximately 29 years or Acts 28:28 !!

Now what is not seen by many is the next verb " YE SHALL RECEIVE " is in the FUTURE TENSE , so that means verse 39 will be in operation during JABOB'S TROUBLE in the first 3 1/2 years of the Tribulation !!

This then means that even the CHILDREN of verse 38 will receive the POWER of the Holy Spirit during JACOB'S TROUBLE in the first 3 1/2 year of the Great Tribulation !!

dan p

Hi and CROSS REFERENCE , explain Acts 2:38 and 39 , since you complained that we did not understand ACTS 2:38 AND 39 , so why are you silent ??

dN P

Interplanner

dan p

Sorry Dan, but it this is all amateur and mistaken.

There is zip zero nada dividing Judah and Israel in the NT. If you're people had been dragged all over the middle east for 4 centuries, you could care less about divisions like that.

The apostles don't flit in and out of 'oh maybe this is true in the millenium'. UNLESS, of course, in the case of the time of trouble, you (as a reader) realize they were talking about the events of the destruction of Jerusalem in 35 years. I say that because in ch 3 the warning to Israel as such is that if they don't believe this Gospel, they will be disinherited. which was the case when the DofJ occurred.

DAN P

Sorry Dan, but it this is all amateur and mistaken.

There is zip zero nada dividing Judah and Israel in the NT. If you're people had been dragged all over the middle east for 4 centuries, you could care less about divisions like that.

The apostles don't flit in and out of 'oh maybe this is true in the millenium'. UNLESS, of course, in the case of the time of trouble, you (as a reader) realize they were talking about the events of the destruction of Jerusalem in 35 years. I say that because in ch 3 the warning to Israel as such is that if they don't believe this Gospel, they will be disinherited. which was the case when the DofJ occurred.

Hi and so you disagree , so why not address Acts 2:38 and 39 and stop DANCING around and stop being AMATEURS OF 100 % !!

dan p

Interplanner

What is there to address?

Israel is asked to believe a Gospel that is also for those who are far off. If they (Israel) doesn't accept, they will suffer; that will be a sign and symbol to the rest of the world.

Peter wanted them to enjoy the coming of the Spirit, who magnifies Christ, as the way of participating in the Messianic age and mission; this could not quite be seen from the pages of the prophet's but it now could. He wanted them to evacuate from the Law as the way of participating in that age.

iamaberean

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Not to believe this scripture means one doesn't understand what the 'gift' from God is.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

DAN P

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Not to believe this scripture means one doesn't understand what the 'gift' from God is.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hi and do you see any difference between Matt 28:19 , where it is stated for the 12 to Baptize in the name of the FATHER and of nthe SON and of the Holy Spirit FOR in Acts 2:38 , they are to BAPTIZED in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of SINS and ( YE SHALL RECEIVE ) in the brackets is a verb in the FUTURE TENSE !??

Explain please !

Why the FUTURE TENSE verb ?

And why did it is only Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ was CHANGED ??

dan p!

Interplanner

Hi and do you see any difference between Matt 28:19 , where it is stated for the 12 to Baptize in the name of the FATHER and of nthe SON and of the Holy Spirit FOR in Acts 2:38 , they are to BAPTIZED in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of SINS and ( YE SHALL RECEIVE ) in the brackets is a verb in the FUTURE TENSE !??

Explain please !

dan p!

What was offered by Christ does not hinge on the verb tense of one passage. There are far too many other references.

Danoh

The far off of v39 is the nations...

An Israelite Feast Day:

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Israelites:

2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Apostles of the Circumcision (Israelites):

2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Words by an Israelite:

2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

To Israelites:

2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

From an Israelite:

2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

To Israelites:

2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Israelite witnesses speaking to Israelites concerning their Prophesied King:

2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

From an Israelite:

2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

To Israelites:

2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

How lost Israelites still address their own:

2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

An Israelite answering his own brethren:

2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Concerning an Israelite promise:

2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Who's God? Theirs.

Both, those "dwelling at Jerusalem...when the" Israelite "day of Pentecost was fully come," AND their "children" - in other words even "to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call."

Who are these "as many as" THEIR "God shall call"?

Seeing as THEIR Prophet; Daniel's Timeline was running its course, let's ask him.

Daniel 9:7 O LORD, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.

THEIR Prophet: Daniel was praying in line with this from one of THEIR other Israelite Prophets...

Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

Interplanner

An Israelite Feast Day:

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Israelites:

2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Apostles of the Circumcision (Israelites):

2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Words by an Israelite:

2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

To Israelites:

2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

From an Israelite:

2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

To Israelites:

2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Israelite witnesses speaking to Israelites concerning their Prophesied King:

2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

From an Israelite:

2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

To Israelites:

2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

How lost Israelites still address their own:

2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

An Israelite answering his own brethren:

2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Concerning an Israelite promise:

2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Who's God? Theirs.

Both, those "dwelling at Jerusalem...when the" Israelite "day of Pentecost was fully come," AND their "children" - in other words even "to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call."

Who are these "as many as" THEIR "God shall call"?

Seeing as THEIR Prophet; Daniel's Timeline was running its course, let's ask him.

Daniel 9:7 O LORD, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.

THEIR Prophet: Daniel was praying in line with this from one of THEIR other Israelite Prophets...

Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

In which case far is far off from belief, which is equidistant for all who don't believe. Jn 11:52. Not only this nation but all the scattered children of God and make them one.
10:16. Other sheep not of this pen.
12:32. All men.

Do you really suppose that nothing 'leaked' about the Gospel as the travelers from all over the Roman world who attended Pentecost went home? Many of them worked in key positions in Roman cities...

And we haven't even got to Gen 3 yet. Maybe what you should do is take the popular missions course which is held in many places by extension. The theology starts back in Gen 3 and you seem completely unaware. God was in mission work long before Israel forgot that He was.

Danoh

In which case far is far off from belief, which is equidistant for all who don't believe. Jn 11:52. Not only this nation but all the scattered children of God and make them one.
10:16. Other sheep not of this pen.
12:32. All men.

Do you really suppose that nothing 'leaked' about the Gospel as the travelers from all over the Roman world who attended Pentecost went home? Many of them worked in key positions in Roman cities...

And we haven't even got to Gen 3 yet. Maybe what you should do is take the popular missions course which is held in many places by extension. The theology starts back in Gen 3 and you seem completely unaware. God was in mission work long before Israel forgot that He was.

Lol, "the children of God" refers to Israel - by Covenant.

This is why the Lordship Salvation all kinds of fools preach - that is actually ISRAEL'S call to return THEIR LORD.

It is why all the reference to "the God OF OUR fathers."

As for the Gentiles - as of Genesis 11, the Gentiles were without Christ, without hope, without God in the world, Eph. 2:11-12.

It is the same today. But now - THIS SIDE of ISRAEL'S fall - both were without God in the world.

This is ONE of Paul's points in Acts 13:46 IN CONTRAST TO Peter's words in Acts 3:25-26.

Paul's point is THIS SIDE OF and IN LIGHT OF Romans 1-3 and 9-11 THIS SIDE of Acts 7:51 in light of Matt. 12:30-32.

No thanks. Keep your parroted courses.

Interplanner

Lol, "the children of God" refers to Israel - by Covenant.

This is why the Lordship Salvation all kinds of fools preach - that is actually ISRAEL'S call to return THEIR LORD.

It is why all the reference to "the God OF OUR fathers."

As for the Gentiles - as of Genesis 11, the Gentiles were without Christ, without hope, without God in the world, Eph. 2:11-12.

It is the same today. But now - THIS SIDE of ISRAEL'S fall - both are without God in the world.

This is ONE of Paul's points in Acts 13:46 IN CONTRAST TO Peter's words in Acts 3:25-26.

Paul's point is THIS SIDE OF and IN LIGHT OF Romans 1-3 and 9-11 THIS SIDE of Acts 7:51 in light of Matt. 12:30-32.

No thanks. Keep your parroted courses.

The Bible cannot possibly be treated as that focused on Israel. There is a constant interplay of actions with and concern Gentiles. Even the temple's dedication prayer included a blessing for those from the nations who would pray. Gen 12: ALL nations would be blessed in the Seed. I really hate your inability to quote the OT the way the NT says to. That is exactly what the 'kata sarka' of 2 Cor 5 is about--reading it the ordinary way, instead of what it means in Christ.

re Acts 3 and 13. You would not see any contrast if you would realize for once that there is ONE blessing--the Gospel of forgiveness. In that case, Paul and Peter are saying the same. Only those who think there is unforgiveness for violating dietary laws would think otherwise.

re Acts 7 and Mt 12. Way too dark. How can something be before rom 1-3 and after 9-11 at the same time? Perhaps you just mean what 11:31 says, but that does not mean that the Bible is not singularly a mission-based collection.

That missions course is used in the largest FUNDAMENTALIST DISPENSATIONAL church in our area. It's from Moody or BIOLA. And it may have D'ist stuff in it, but last time I heard it, it correctly maintained that there is a mission to all nations, found cryptically in the words at the birth that was recorded after the Cain and Abel problem, 'I have given birth to a man--the help from the LORD.' It is not one of the resources I often check on, I just happen to know that it had the ability to quote Gen 12 and 15 about the mission instead of about a 2nd program, as does the NT. Which is a heck of a lot more than you do.

It does not automatically introduce a 2nd program to have the Gospel presented decisively to Israel first. It had to happen in some ethnos, didn't it? So naturally, that's who should be the leading missionaries. Which was Paul's burden in Rom 11 and Acts 26 about them all being like him, except for the chains.

Once again, it is quite clear that allowing for the possibity of 2P2P screws everything the NT is trying to say into so much complication and mess that the average person would shuck it.

Danoh

You and your reasoning of men. You conclude what another meant and then seek to address what is actually your own mis-conclusion.

:doh:

iamaberean

Explain please !

dan p!

Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name(singular) under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name(Jesus), and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name(Jesus)

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name(singular) of the Father(Jesus), and of the Son(Jesus), and of the Holy Ghost (Jesus):

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ(God) for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost(God).

Titles are functions of God that are used to describe to us what funtion he is speaking of. Father, Son and Holy Ghost are just three of many titles of God, they are not a name. Jesus is a name that is higher than any name.
Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;