Hunting Thread

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's about the Robertson family that runs the Duck Commander company of duck calls. It can be entertaining. In the last episode they made the world's largest duck call. :chuckle:

I am very fond of duck. :chew: Although I have never been duck hunting.

I have, however, been grouse and pheasant and quail hunting......In addition to moose and deer and elk hunting.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That makes two of us. Just never had time. Crispy duck, or orange duck?

Someday I will find the time.

That's a tough one, but I think crispy first and foremost. I often stop by Chinatown on Spring Mountain on my way home to pick up a crispy roasted duck with duck sauce...the Chinese know their duck.

I did roast a goose once, but I didn't shoot it myself.

faramir77

Hand-hewen, shaped and crafted. Bow of Yew, darts of Beech.
Sniffing the Astronomical Twilight lit aires whilst standing in a pool of waining Moon-light, slanting through the forest canopy.
Hightened awareness, sences bristling, dead silent.
Standing erect, being. A sentient being, alone. Solitary in this Garden of the Most High and Living God.
So-rounded by ediable plants and herbs, adorned in garments of leather and fur,
simply awaiting Providance; my daily bread & living water.

The World of Man, situated within the Greater and All ways prevailing World of Nature.

Native culture, pure in our Generations.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/florida-man-mistakes-girlfriend-hog-shoots-her-211904311.html

A Florida couple was on a weekend camping trip that ended in an airlift to the emergency room.

52-year-old Steven Egan was hunting with his girlfriend Lisa Simmons in the northern part of the state when he mistook her for a hog and shot her.

"He saw a hog and thought he shot it and went to look for it," Maj. Steve Clair of the Flagler County Sheriff's Office told ABC News. "He heard her and thought it was a hog and just shot."

:plain:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/florida-man-mistakes-girlfriend-hog-shoots-her-211904311.html

A Florida couple was on a weekend camping trip that ended in an airlift to the emergency room.

52-year-old Steven Egan was hunting with his girlfriend Lisa Simmons in the northern part of the state when he mistook her for a hog and shot her.

"He saw a hog and thought he shot it and went to look for it," Maj. Steve Clair of the Flagler County Sheriff's Office told ABC News. "He heard her and thought it was a hog and just shot."

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Originally Posted by Nick. said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...211904311.html

:chuckle: That was the same expression I had on my face when wondering what his wife looked like:rotfl:

OK, OK, :maxi: that was bad, sorry.:p

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Just not as good as a wild hog. (Of course you know that.) :D

No...Actually it is my considered opinion that wild game is not very tasty. I can get used to it and would have no problem living off it but grocery store meat is much tastier (Notice I'm only referring to taste here not health).

I used to be a pretty fair hog killer back in the day. I always ground hunted (stalked)...used a .35 Remington Pump (still have it) and carried a S&W 629 Mountain Gun (.44 Mag) on my hip for really thick brush (Which I had no problem going into to fetch a piggie out...the foolishness of youth). Just about every piggie I took was given to one of a few families I knew who were going through hard times. It worked well, I got to keep in practice, they were happy with the meat, and I went to Albertson's for my pork chops. :chew:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was told don't eat the large boars. The older they get, the more garbage they have eaten.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I was told don't eat the large boars. The older they get, the more garbage they have eaten.

That is definetly true. It's also a good idea to be aware of the surroundings. The closer man and his garbage is, the more likely a pig has gotten into it. Some of the ones that have been hanging around dumps for a while are downright inedible as far as I'm concerned. Nasty meat X2...Acorns don't help matters either. :nono:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.kptv.com/story/19688341/oregon-man-eaten-by-hogs-body- found-in-several-pieces

An Oregon man trying to feed his 700-pound hogs was eaten by the animals Thursday, and sheriff's deputies are trying to determine what led up to his death.

Terry Garner, who lived near the rural town of Riverton in southern Oregon, went to feed the animals on his farm at 7:30 a.m.

When he wasn't seen for several hours, a family member went to look for him, and found Garner's dentures on the ground in front of the hog enclosure, which housed several of the animals.​

You know, Wu's pigs were on to something.

Lon

When I lived in Alaska, I ate a lot of wild big game. I went hunting a lot, but was skunked a good deal of the time. Thankfully friends and church family were much better and successful so I've enjoyed deer, moose, bear, dall sheep, caribou, and spruce hen. Alaskan moose is my favorite. Because they eat water plants, the meat is mild and not gamey, as well as very tender and low in fat.

Lon

No...Actually it is my considered opinion that wild game is not very tasty. I can get used to it and would have no problem living off it but grocery store meat is much tastier (Notice I'm only referring to taste here not health).

I used to be a pretty fair hog killer back in the day. I always ground hunted (stalked)...used a .35 Remington Pump (still have it) and carried a S&W 629 Mountain Gun (.44 Mag) on my hip for really thick brush (Which I had no problem going into to fetch a piggie out...the foolishness of youth). Just about every piggie I took was given to one of a few families I knew who were going through hard times. It worked well, I got to keep in practice, they were happy with the meat, and I went to Albertson's for my pork chops. :chew:
Well, you'd have to freezer pack it up for me but I'm in! :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I lived in Alaska, I ate a lot of wild big game.

How is the salmon fishing for the common man? Meaning not a fishing vessel. I wonder if it is as easy as bass and cat here in the lower 48. Because salmon (my opinion) is much better eating.