Hunting Thread

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This thread is for all things related to hunting.

It IS for all who have hunted in the past, hunt currently, or may hunt in the future.

It ISN'T for those opposed to hunting or guns.

I'd be much obliged if you'd respect my wishes in this.

Share stories of memorable hunts.

Share techniques and tools of the sport that have worked for you in the past.

Share game preparation techniques.

Share photos.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not following you. :think:

It IS for all who have hunted in the past, hunt currently, or may hunt in the future.
What are you sayin'? :idunno:

It ISN'T for those opposed to hunting or guns.
Is or isn't? :noid:

I'd be much obliged if you'd respect my wishes in this.
Maybe if you didn't beat about the bush. :plain:

I'd probably have to say Howard was the most memorable if you came up in the seventies. I suppose it's relative though.

I think that may be a rules violation. :eek:

Okay, I KNOW that is. :nono:

Share photos.
:shocked: :smack:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not following you. :think:

What are you sayin'? :idunno:

Is or isn't? :noid:

Maybe if you didn't beat about the bush. :plain:

I'd probably have to say Howard was the most memorable if you came up in the seventies. I suppose it's relative though.

I think that may be a rules violation. :eek:

Okay, I KNOW that is. :nono:

:shocked: :smack:

You're the kind what causes unrest, govna!

:carryon:

Choleric

I moved to TN last year and just had my first full deer hunting season where I could walk out of my back porch and hunt. Put 4 deer in the freezer...cleaned and processed all but one myself too.

Not bad for a rookie, eh?

Not a whole lot of memorable "hunts" but I did kill one deer from my porch. not exactly sporting, but it tastes the same. I guess that is kinda memorable after all. How many people can say they shot a deer from their porch?

I am probably not the person to ask...:plain:

We ground up a great deal of our deer and my wife makes these awesome deer nachos. She browns a pound of deer, then puts it in the crock put with 4 different kinds of beans, a packet of ranch dressing mix (the packet of dry seasoning) with Rotel and corn. Slow cook for a few hours, and serve over tostitos with cheese and sour cream. huge hit in our house...the kids (4 girls) love it and we have it once a week, at least.

For anyone interested, I could get the exact recipe from her for you...:thumb:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I moved to TN last year and just had my first full deer hunting season where I could walk out of my back porch and hunt. Put 4 deer in the freezer...cleaned and processed all but one myself too.

Not bad for a rookie, eh?

Not a whole lot of memorable "hunts" but I did kill one deer from my porch. not exactly sporting, but it tastes the same. I guess that is kinda memorable after all. How many people can say they shot a deer from their porch?

I am probably not the person to ask...:plain:

We ground up a great deal of our deer and my wife makes these awesome deer nachos. She browns a pound of deer, then puts it in the crock put with 4 different kinds of beans, a packet of ranch dressing mix (the packet of dry seasoning) with Rotel and corn. Slow cook for a few hours, and serve over tostitos with cheese and sour cream. huge hit in our house...the kids (4 girls) love it and we have it once a week, at least.

Sounds delicious! I'd like that recipe. Have you hunted any animals other than deer?

Choleric

Sounds delicious! I'd like that recipe.

ask and you shall receive...

Have you hunted any animals other than deer?

No, though I do intend on hunting turkey this fall for the first time. I hear wild turkey is delicious. A few guys in my church love turkey hunting and have offered to show me the ropes. Can't wait. I hope to get one with my bow.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Although I don't hunt, personally, most of the men in my family and most of my friends (both male and female) hunt. The family who bought the five acres between me and one of my neighbors bought it strictly for hunting. So, I'm hoping that they plant the field full of trees again (It was forest when I moved here 12 years ago). I know that I will never be low on meat as long as I have the neighbors I have.

Son of Jack

I would love that recipe. It sounds delicious, and rather healthful to boot. I've got some ground deer in the freezer, waiting to get cooked.:eek:

genuineoriginal

Pern

Pern

The best way to hunt thread is while riding a dragon.

291%2BDragons%2BFighting%2BThread%2Bweb.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
My first hunt went badly, sort of an embarrassment for me, as my neighbor who took me ended up getting bitten by a raccoon and his own dogs as result of me failing to kill the raccoon.

Choleric

Sounds delicious! I'd like that recipe.

I would love that recipe. It sounds delicious, and rather healthful to boot. I've got some ground deer in the freezer, waiting to get cooked.:eek:

OK, here is the recipe from the wife:

1-1.5 lb ground deer
1 can black beans
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 can corn (drained)
1 can northern beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 packet ranch seasoning
1 packet taco seasoning

1) Brown meat and drain.
2) Drain and rinse all beans
3) Put all ingredients into crock pot
4) Add 1/2- 1 cup water
5) Cook on low in crock pot for 4 hours (great for just before heading off to church)

Alternatively, if you are in a hurry, you can cook on stove, bring to a simmer, and it would be ready much sooner (30 minutes).

We serve it over tostitos. We use a slotted spoon so it leaves the juice in the pot and top with cheese and sour cream so it is just like nachos. You can also eat with the juice and it is more like a soup. Either way, it is delicious. Let me know if you try it! :thumb:

Cracked

I shot the head off a grouse with a 30-30 one time.

I really am not much of a hunter though. Come to think of it, the only thing I ever really hunted successfully was ruffed grouse... which are delicious btw. It could be that I bagged a pheasant once (by chance). Pheasant is also delicious.

This thread has not officially made me hungry...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You need ammo to go with guns. Warning; Bambi goes down in this video. Nothing graphic, but if you are vegan or enjoy the petting zoo, you might consider not watching.

Barnes TSX family

Good find Nick! Thanks

Good find Nick! Thanks

The 6.8 SPC crowd pointed me in that direction. They use it on feral hogs, as they come with heavy armor. :plain:

My attempt to move the material to the right thread.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I can't say that I have...I'll have to check it out.

It's about the Robertson family that runs the Duck Commander company of duck calls. It can be entertaining. In the last episode they made the world's largest duck call. :chuckle: