Human rights watchdog: Trump is an authoritarian populist

kmoney

Hall of Fame
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-rights-icj-idUSKBN1A42A3

Trump is new breed of 'authoritarian populist': rights watchdog

GENEVA (Reuters) - Donald Trump is one of a new breed of leaders around the world who seek to use their democratic mandate to undermine the rule of law, the head of a legal and human rights watchdog said on Wednesday.

Branding the U.S. president an "authoritarian populist", Saman Zia-Zarifi, secretary-general of the Geneva-based International Commission of Jurists (ICJ), compared him to the leaders of Turkey, the Philippines, Hungary and Venezuela.

"The new populism has a certain shamelessness about it that is new. It's not that people are denying that they are violating rights, what they are saying is they can violate rights because somehow they are empowered by the people," he said.

"I would say that in the U.S., Trump is an authoritarian populist. He has authoritarian tendencies but he still is facing checks and balances," Zarifi said. "So he is not a full-blown authoritarian figure."

I think that last quote is spot on.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are the words "authoritarian populist' another term for wannabe dictator?

Trump has stated that he doesn't have use for the Constitution,
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/donald-trump-admits-he-has-no-use-constitution

and has given accolades to mass murdering communists.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432043/donald-trump-praised-tiananmen-square-massacre

I wonder what's going to happen when his son and son in law tell the truth to Congressional Committees this next week, will he blow a fuse and call out the military to surround the White House so that he can't be removed from Office?

glorydaz

Are the words "authoritarian populist' another term for wannabe dictator?

Trump has stated that he doesn't have use for the Constitution,
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/donald-trump-admits-he-has-no-use-constitution

and has given accolades to mass murdering communists.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432043/donald-trump-praised-tiananmen-square-massacre

I wonder what's going to happen when his son and son in law tell the truth to Congressional Committees this next week, will he blow a fuse and call out the military to surround the White House so that he can't be removed from Office?

You liberals have such an active imagination. :chuckle:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
You liberals have such an active imagination. :chuckle:

Were ACW's references inaccurate? Did the Dear Leader in the White House not say those things?
Did you see the special cabinet meeting when all the swamp dwellers paid him homage and showed their adoration?
He is not a populist. He is simply a very rich man with no feeling for the general population, but he is caught in a position that he is neither trained for nor emotionally able to deal with properly. He blames everyone else for his screw-ups---Obama, unloyal (note the word) Republicans, immigrants, the real media. He is at heart an insecure bully

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah right, Trump "realized" he could dupe millions

He didn't dupe you, as you Libertarians and democrats that crossed Party lines to vote for him knew exactly what you were going to get (well not exactly, being that Donald Trump changes his mind on issues numerous times during the day, not even Trump knows what policies he'll support from one minute to the next).

A lot of evangelicals fell for Trump's lies, some are still soaking them up as we speak.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He didn't dupe you, as you Libertarians and democrats that crossed Party lines to vote for him knew exactly what you were going to get (well not exactly, being that Donald Trump changes his mind on issues numerous times during the day, not even Trump knows what policies he'll support from one minute to the next).

A lot of evangelicals fell for Trump's lies, some are still soaking them up as we speak.

Fell for his lies ? I am not convinced that they don't relish his boorishness, inexperience and immorality. Otherwise, there wouldn't be such vehement support of him even though he is a proven liar and traitor of our country.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Fell for his lies ? I am not convinced that they don't relish his boorishness, inexperience and immorality. Otherwise, there wouldn't be such vehement support of him even though he is a proven liar and traitor of our country.

You have a point. After the tape of Trump bragging about being able to get away with sexual assault, a poll showed about 19% of his followers saying that the tape actually made them like him better.

Danoh

Yep.

I've lost track of how many like the following I have spoken with over that past year or so.

As is ever the case within any collective of individuals drawn together within various aspects of life by a set of skewed beliefs and values such each obviously hold to; theirs is a classic case study in what is referred to in Scripture in the following...

And the following is speaking of the need for Believers to actually examine their own beliefs and values beyond "well, Christ died for me..."

Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

As a result, such continue to thrive on, are drawn to, glory in, and lust after, the above mentioned skewed frame of reference.

These words here mean nothing to such. Such only perceive them as descriptive of some one else...

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The result of the denial of that is ever obvious in such.

Their never having really examined that aspect of themselves in light of how descriptions like the above might actually apply to them.

The result being that such held the very values Trump played them for, way before he ever came along

There is your religious "right."

As Don the Con has done His entire business-life; he merely played their tune.

Along with that aspect of is the idealization.

Where one idealizes a person, place, thing, or cause such, that even when the reality continues to kick against what little pricks of conscience are still able to get past such false imaginings; such only dig in deeper.

Short of a major paradigm shift (as in the one described below); the likes of a Trump will continue to be perceived by such as one who can do no wrong.

No matter how much such might assert they would never allow themselves that skewed a perception.

Considering the following, 2,000 year old account, this Trump syndrome of theirs is nothing new...

Acts 26:9 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 26:10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. 26:11 And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities. 26:12 Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, 26:13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 26:14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 26:15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.

Rom. 5:8
Acts 17:11,12