Halloween is Pagan? So is eating Pork!

genuineoriginal

Prove my confusion. Even if I did have a mixture of wool and linen it would not be sin because the Levite Priesthood is done away. That is why the prohibition was given. I bet you didn't know that did you?
The real reason the prohibition was given has to do with the properties of linen and wool in respect to air-flow, moisture, and heat.

Linen is a fabric that has a lot of air-flow, absorbs and evaporates moisture, and transfers heat easily, making it a great fabric to wear in hotter weather to keep cool.

Wool is an insulating fabric with low air-flow, holds moisture, and does not transfer heat easily, making it a great fabric to wear in cold weather to keep warm.

Weaving the two into a single cloth creates a fabric that is not good to wear in hot weather nor is it good to wear in cold weather.

Some Rabbis are under the mistaken impression that the prohibition is to keep lay people from wearing priestly garments, since priests are commanded to wear linen undergarments with wool outergarments.
But, even the priests are not wearing blended fabrics because the commandments say that the undergarments are made only of linen and the outergarments are made only of wool.

It is perfectly fine to wear separate garments of wool and of linen together, the prohibition was only against creating a fabric that had both wool and linen fibers in it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
September 12, 2015 was a Saturday, which according to the OT is a Sabbath day.

So, you violated the commandment of not working on the Sabbath.

Nope, priests worked on the Sabbath even in the Mosaic covenant.

Jesus said, "Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and are blameless?"
(Matthew 12:5 NKJV)

musterion

I made thick burgers with an over-easy fried egg on top, and a side of butter beans with real crumbled bacon mixed in. Hoo doggies!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Last week I watched a program on "Parasites within Me" (or some such title). The surgeon had made an incision into the large intestine of a patient and was pulling out dozens and dozens of worms. They were 3 to 6 inches long and his bowel was impacted with them. They appeared to be round worms which would not necessarily come from pork but Trichinosis does come from pork and I get totally unnerved at the thought of such an infestation.
I do celebrate Halloween as a totally secular event. Seeing the little kiddles in their costumes and handing out candy is such fun.
I also eat bacon and ham because they are smoked. I can't bring myself to eat any other pork for fear of infestation.

You don't eat pepperoni? Do you like pizza?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And your point is to hand out bacon on Halloween?

bacon-chocolate-covered-bacon_284x364.jpg

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I find it disgustingly hypocritical when Pseudo Protestants refuse to observe Halloween because it's pagan yet eat Pork and worship on the day of the Sun, which are pagan.

What's a pseudo protestant? A Catholic in disguise?

But seriously, thank you for pointing out that Sunday is the day of the Sun. I didn't know that before. I am sure now that Sunday is a day to be avoided. Come to think of it, Thursday is Thor's day and Wednesday is Woden's Day and Saturday is Saturn's Day. So I think we should avoid doing anything on those days just in case it upsets God. Or you. Of course we would also need to stop breathing as well, to be properly safe.

Oh, and I forgot Monday, Moon Day. And then there's... Oh well.

Sorry for exggerating. You were only concerned about worshipping God on those days. I guess I will just have to worship God on the remaining days (if there are any). That sounds more reasonable, don't you think?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. (Hebrews 7:12 NKJV)​

Correct, the priesthood changed when Christ Jesus became High Priest.

However, you guys ignore the part about the law having to change when the priesthood changes.

For some reason, you guys acknowledge the priesthood changed, but are keeping the old law.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nope, priests worked on the Sabbath even in the Mosaic covenant.

The priests under the law of Moses had to be from the tribe of Levi, and the family of Aaron.

No one today is a priest from the tribe of Levi, and the family of Aaron.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I made thick burgers with an over-easy fried egg on top, and a side of butter beans with real crumbled bacon mixed in. Hoo doggies!

once in a while I mix an egg (and seasonings) into the ground beef before grilling

makes a heckuva mess on the grill, but deeeeelicious! :chew:

Greg Jennings

Dismissing things because they are "pagan" is an exercise in futility. There aren't really any religious holidays/ceremonies left that haven't been heavily influenced by pagan customs.

That's just what happens when two cultures collide: while some beliefs may be left in the past, the rituals that accompanied those pagan beliefs survive into today's world and are refitted to the new belief system.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Dismissing things because they are "pagan" is an exercise in futility. There aren't really any religious holidays/ceremonies left that haven't been heavily influenced by pagan customs.

That's just what happens when two cultures collide: while some beliefs may be left in the past, the rituals that accompanied those pagan beliefs survive into today's world and are refitted to the new belief system.

that is pretty good for an agnostic

halloween is all about remembering the dead
and
hopefully someone will remember you