Halloween is Pagan? So is eating Pork!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dismissing things because they are "pagan" is an exercise in futility.

That's correct.

Christmas trees, mistletoe, caroling, and many other Christmas traditions are all rooted in paganism.

St. Valentines Day and Cupid are rooted in paganism.

Monday, Saturday, Sunday get their names from pagan gods, as do the other days of the week.

January, February, and March get their names from pagan gods. July and August are from Roman emperors who claimed to be gods.

Easter, Easter eggs, and bunny rabbits is rooted in paganism.

genuineoriginal

Christians have been taught that there is no problem with adopting the practices of the pagans.

God commanded the children of Israel to avoid adopting the practices of the pagans.

Deuteronomy 12:29-31
29 When the Lord thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
31 Thou shalt not do so unto the Lord thy God: for every abomination to the Lord, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.​

Why do Christians think that God no longer hates those practices?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Dismissing things because they are "pagan" is an exercise in futility. There aren't really any religious holidays/ceremonies left that haven't been heavily influenced by pagan customs.

Do you believe that is true of Jesus' Passover?

JonahofAkron

Christians have been taught that there is no problem with adopting the practices of the pagans.

God commanded the children of Israel to avoid adopting the practices of the pagans.

29 When the Lord thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
31 Thou shalt not do so unto the Lord thy God: for every abomination to the Lord, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.​

Because they think He made the Torah obsolete.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Because they think He made the Torah obsolete.

Do you ever say the word "Sunday"?

If so, you are acknowledging the pagan sun god.

Maybe you keep Sabbath on Saturday. Do you ever say the word "Saturday"?

If so, you are acknowledging the pagan god Saturn.

Greg Jennings

Have you ever bought a present for someone on Christmas? If so, then you must be hated by God for being a pagan according to your logic, yes?

JonahofAkron

Do you ever say the word "Sunday"?

If so, you are acknowledging the pagan sun god.

Maybe you keep Sabbath on Saturday. Do you ever say the word "Saturday"?

If so, you are acknowledging the pagan god Saturn.

Come on. We both know that's ridiculous. This is the problem with your interpretation: it doesn't account for the heart. You talk all day long about the grace of Messiah, but can't acknowledge there was grace in the same Law He lived.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Come on. We both know that's ridiculous. This is the problem with your interpretation: it doesn't account for the heart. You talk all day long about the grace of Messiah, but can't acknowledge there was grace in the same Law He lived.

Now that you know Saturday is named after the pagan god Saturn, will you continue to say it?

You could start calling it "Shabbat"

Same thing for Monday. Now that you know it was named for a pagan moon god, you could start calling it "Yom Shaynee"

HINT: It's really hard being righteous on your own.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I find it disgustingly hypocritical when Pseudo Protestants refuse to observe Halloween because it's pagan yet eat Pork and worship on the day of the Sun, which are pagan.

Do you have a problem worshipping on the day He rose from the dead. And;

Acts 10:15 New King James Version (NKJV)

15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.”

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Now that you know Saturday is named after the pagan god Saturn, will you continue to say it?

Same thing for Monday. Now that you know it was named for a pagan moon god, you could start calling it "Yom Shaynee"

Oh come on Tet, don't be silly.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Sometimes you have to ask silly people silly questions.

My silly question is no more silly than asking someone if they wear wool blends.

It's the same point.

Maybe so..........
I will say something I think is funny, "Shabbat, sorbet, sherbet,
and ice cream?"

JonahofAkron

How are you still on this?! I already said that I don't believe that I gain my righteousness from the Law. This is a moot point. Calling something by a name doesn't give it power. Again, your main problem is a heart issue that you refuse to acknowledge. Your antinomian mindset frames the Law in a legalistic light, but I continue to ask you: how can something that God give us be bad?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you have a problem worshipping on the day He rose from the dead.

Jesus said, "And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." (Matthew 15:9 NKJV)

Jesus was raised on the first day of the week to fulfill the Law.

He (the priest) shall wave the sheaf before the LORD to be accepted on your behalf, on the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it. (Leviticus 23:11 NKJV)​

Jesus fulfilled the wave sheaf offering per the Law in accordance with Matthew 5:17.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How are you still on this?! I already said that I don't believe that I gain my righteousness from the Law. This is a moot point. Calling something by a name doesn't give it power. Again, your main problem is a heart issue that you refuse to acknowledge. Your antinomian mindset frames the Law in a legalistic light, but I continue to ask you: how can something that God give us be bad?

(Rom 8:2) because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

What is "the law of sin and death"?

JonahofAkron

(Rom 8:2) because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.

What is "the law of sin and death"?

The propensity for humanity to choose the sinful lifestyle and then die in their sins. It is not the Law.