GUNS!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
:think: Well, for normal defensive purposes full auto is kind of pointless. It's main application is tactical.

Quite right TomO.

1. It's great to keep the enemies heads down as your team moves forward, best done on relatively clear ground, jungle growth has a tendency to get the advancing line out of whack resulting in the possibility of friendly casualties.

2. As final defensive fire, when the bad guys are over running your position, and you need to stop their advance, you then throw everything at them, auto fire (spray and pray), hand grenades (some strange expressions when a grenade bounces off their helmets), rocket launchers, mortars, artillery, the kitchen sink and the dirty socks! Then you resort to higher power tactics (Puff the magic Dragon) or the eye in the sky (close air support, napalm in the morning :eek:) and if its a lost cause the sailor boys (Naval Gun Fire :dog::wave::rapture:).

....But if you ever get the chance; try it, it's helluvalotta fun! ;)

Yes sir it is fun especially here in the rear with the gear!

expensive though. :plain:

How well I know that.:cry: might be why I still enjoy that one, well placed round!

Last edited:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So lucky, I live in one of the few states that doesn't allow concealed carry. I anticipate that will change and am in the market for a new firearm, probably a 9mm auto. My favorite is currently my HK .40

The more I think about it though, the more I don't want to carry. Too much responsibility. I tend to enjoy a beer or two. I tend to cause friction in my dumb small town. I also don't want to have to think about what I can wear and what buildings I can enter.

Great to have options though.

If I may say so...I would consider avoiding a .9mm. The .40 is a good calibur, but I'd avoid the HK as well. A Sig or a Glock are fare better choices IMHO.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
What a beautiful gun. Did you ever break down and buy one?

No sir, I'm still dreaming about that one.

Had some injuries to the right shoulder and the right wrist back in country (1966) that needs to be worked on first, just finished with therapy after the wrist surgery. Will take some time to re-think about the shoulder work...all that recovery time and therapy puts a real damper on playing with my guns and if I can get around more surgery with alternative adjustments to my positions, holding techniques I'll go that way instead.

May go ahead and buy it though, if for no other reason than leaving it to my son, gotta kick a few things around in my head first.

Glad to see you back on the forum! :thumb:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I would consider avoiding a .9mm.

What do you have against 9mm?

Oh-boy-Here-we-go%255B1%255D.jpg

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you have against 9mm?

It isn't exactly that I have anything against a .9mm...I own one myself as a matter of fact. I suppose it depends on what said person intends to use it for.

I have just never been keen on trusting my life or the life of my family to one. To me, they are to iffy.

The reason I cotton to the .40 calibur is that they have, in my opinon, the stopping power of a .45 and the speed and accuracy of a .9mm.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No sir, I'm still dreaming about that one.

Had some injuries to the right shoulder and the right wrist back in country (1966) that needs to be worked on first, just finished with therapy after the wrist surgery. Will take some time to re-think about the shoulder work...all that recovery time and therapy puts a real damper on playing with my guns and if I can get around more surgery with alternative adjustments to my positions, holding techniques I'll go that way instead.

May go ahead and buy it though, if for no other reason than leaving it to my son, gotta kick a few things around in my head first.

Glad to see you back on the forum! :thumb:

Thank you, sir...I'm glad to be here.

I wish you luck with the healing process. I can imagine that it is a source of frustration and no small amount of pain.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not sure why I'm confessing this to y'all, but not too long ago I found a location in the desert where I can go to shoot and doesn't cost a thing.

Up until now, since I moved to southern Nevada, I have always paid to shoot at an indoor range. You would think that, since Nevada is 98% government controlled desert, I would have found a nice outdoor spot that was secluded.

No such luck, until recently.

I am a happy cowpoke to be sure!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have generally been a bigger is better kind of guy, but I read an article recently that compared effectivness in actual shootings and some of the smaller calibers fared better than I would have thought.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866

One thing I am convinced of
Long guns are more effective than pistols!

OMEGA

In Canada we Do Not Like Guns.:car:

Keep your American Redneck Gun Lovers away from us.:argue:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
vegascowboy
Did you ever end up getting that pump shotgun? If so, what did you end up with.