ECT Created

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I would say regarding regarding "those who came before us"....the European mind of the 16th/17th century was still in a state of considerable darkness.

We would not in this age burn witches or hereticks...there was not so clean a break from the dark ages of Catholic thinking as people suppose....to cite an instance I would say Luther's life long hatred of the Jews proves this.

But we do rejoice in the light he received.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
However, I do not enshrine EVERYTHING they say into a credal point which must be defended at all costs....scripture I will defend at all costs
Nor do I. You know this.

Some of your heros indulged in a great deal of speculation....
While I do find some of the past divines of the church and others worthwhile, none would be my "hero". That some are gifted as teachers, per Scripture, obliges us to pay attention to them, not make them our regula fidei.

Can you point me to anyone within our tradition that echoes your position? I would like to read their efforts.

If there is no positive evil then there is no positive good....is that what you will have? it is the very doctrine of the lattitudinarians, the libertines.
Not sure how this bears on the matter. "Positive" is not some ontological category.

Now I say there is God and then there is everything which God created, I deny that they have any existence "in their own right" they have existence insofar as God allows them.

That includes angels fallen or elect, of Satan, Lucifer, it is said "until sin was found in him"
I was afraid when I wrote "in their own right" you would misunderstand. I was infelicitous in my choice of words. I agree with you here. My only point was that these are actual entities. They have ontological being. You cannot say the same about evil.

But evil was already in existence, and it was God who planted the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden.

It is there, it is in the midst, at the heart of creation.
The tree was not evil, nor good. It was a tree with no special properties apart from being set apart by God for holy use. The partaking of it by Adam and Eve gave them knowledge of their sinful act, and the evil consequences therein. The tree can be no more evil or good than a can of gasoline. It is the use made of the thing by moral agents that comes good or evil consequences.

The knowledge of good and evil, has a distinct meaning in the Old Testament. It refers to the ability to determine for one's self what is good and evil, what is helpful and harmful. In 1 Kings 3:9 Solomon prays for it so he can rule well. In Deuteronomy 1:39 little children don't have it yet. In 2 Samuel 19:35 senile people have lost it (Note: it is translated "discern between good and evil," but when we look at the Hebrew word behind "discern", it is the very same word as used in Gen 3:5 to mean "knowing" [good and evil]. So, there is no difference between the two.)

In fact, both Trees were sacramental in nature; but as with later sacraments, the two sacraments functioned differently. Concerning Gen.2:15-17, Keil & Delitzsch brilliantly summarize as respects the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (on Gen.2:15-17):

The tree of knowledge was to lead man to the knowledge of good and evil; and, according to the divine intention, this was to be attained through his not eating of its fruit. This end was to be accomplished, not only by his discerning in the limit imposed by the prohibition the difference between that which accorded with the will of God and that which opposed it, but also by his coming eventually, through obedience to the prohibition, to recognise the fact that all that is opposed to the will of God is an evil to be avoided, and, through voluntary resistance to such evil, to the full development of the freedom of choice originally imparted to him into the actual freedom of a deliberate and self-conscious choice of good.

By obedience to the divine will he would have attained to a godlike knowledge of good and evil, i.e., to one in accordance with his own likeness to God. He would have detected the evil in the approaching tempter; but instead of yielding to it, he would have resisted it, and thus have made good his own property acquired with consciousness and of his own free-will, and in this way by proper self-determination would gradually have advanced to the possession of the truest liberty. But as he failed to keep this divinely appointed way, and ate the forbidden fruit in opposition to the command of God, the power imparted by God to the fruit was manifested in a different way. He learned the difference between good and evil from his own guilty experience, and by receiving the evil into his own soul, fell a victim to the threatened death. Thus through his own fault the tree, which should have helped him to attain true freedom, brought nothing but the sham liberty of sin, and with it death, and that without any demoniacal power of destruction being conjured into the tree itself, or any fatal poison being hidden in its fruit.

You have claimed a great void and darkness covered the face of the deep represent evil. The initial description of the earth as being without form and void (Gen. 1:2) , a phrase repeated within the OT only in Jer. 4: 23, implies that it lacked order and content. This expression describes the world before the creation of life, before there was even a background or context in which life could flourish. The reference to darkness … over the face of the deep points to the absence of light. This initial state will be transformed by God’s creative activity: the Spirit of God was hovering. I have heard of some who claim this verse shows that the earth is being remade following some cosmic battle between good and evil forces. I hope you are not drawing upon this view for your assertion.

Of course I think I am right...you can defeat me with scripture
This is not some competition where one is defeated. I am only hoping to show you the plain meaning of things. See above and note that evil and sin are never considered, in Scripture, as "things" or "not things." They are considered to be actions and consequences. Per the full counsel of Scripture evil is relational, not material.

AMR

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I AM NOT GOING TO GET INTO A SLANGING MATCH WITH YOU

I respect you too much for that :)

You know that.

Well you ask for examples of speculative thinking and then provide a whole bellyful with Keil and Deleitzch

It leads you off into a completely different route to me.

I understand what it infers but disagree. I understand that it was in the act of disobedience that they learned the meaning, but this was only an aspect, a periphery effect....like the buzz of stealing and getting away with it. Then the buzz recedes and creates in it's place an even bigger void which needs to be satisfied...as with every other sin. That is the psychological effect of sin.

I see the void, the darkness and chaos as evil, we will disagree on that, all sin is a desire to return to emptiness and darkness, a rebellion against order. Sin actually is spiritual suicide...like the climbing onto a tall structure and throwing oneself off....Man's greatest sins occur during his time of prosperity, when the tree is yet green.

Evil is a power, God uses it to bring forth good...darkness to light, chaos to order, nothingness to substance.

The devil's great jealousy of God is God's ability to do this....he sees in man the potential of usurping that power. But of course in his mad grab for it he has become pure evil and evil only....he can only caricature God's light, God's order, God's substance.

The devil's caricature is quite clearly seen in movements like Nazism. A structured society ordered by terror.

The nub of our disagreement is in how we view evil I say it IS an entity, a power. God uses it to create good, the devil desires to utilise it for it's own sake.

Man's sin is his partaking of evil. I.E evil is real, sin is relational.

fzappa13

This is not an attempt at mediation but I do see some merit in both positions. An act may be sinful yet it requires an actor. On the other hand the story of the tree in the garden suggests that evil was there all along but invisible to those without the ability to perceive it.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
This is not an attempt at mediation but I do see some merit in both positions. An act may be sinful yet it requires an actor. On the other hand the story of the tree in the garden suggests that evil was there all along but invisible to those without the ability to perceive it.

AMR and I agree on many important fundamental matters...we have our little set tos, no referee needed :)

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

I do think of evil as the negative power in electricity without which the circuit cannot function. It is a power and it is created for a purpose. But it was never created for man or angels to meddle with.

fzappa13

I'm surprised no one has tossed this one out there yet:

Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

fzappa13

I do think of evil as the negative power in electricity without which the circuit cannot function. It is a power and it is created for a purpose. But it was never created for man or angels to meddle with.

What you speak of goes to the core of existence as we know it. To remove the negative as is envisioned eventually in the Bible requires a total rewrite of physics as we know it.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

I did know it, but it is quite a unique scripture....still true

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
What you speak of goes to the core of existence as we know it. To remove the negative as is envisioned eventually in the Bible requires a total rewrite of physics as we know it.

Yes but that is exactly what God is going to do, a new heavens and a new earth...and still further down the line "all things swallowed up in God."

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The nub of our disagreement is in how we view evil I say it IS an entity, a power. God uses it to create good, the devil desires to utilise it for it's own sake.

Man's sin is his partaking of evil. I.E evil is real, sin is relational.
Power is not an entity. You cannot use words like "entity" (or "power") outside of their plain contextual meaning if you expect to be understood.

You asked for Scripture and I provided commentary as well the fact that evil and sin are never considered in Scripture as "things" or "not things." Wherever we encounter them in Scripture they are considered to be the actions and consequences of moral agents. Per the full counsel of Scripture evil is relational, not material. If you can provide didactic Scripture that teaches evil to be a substance I will study it carefully.

AMR

glorydaz

You realize that darkness is the absence of light. So that means God created light and then when the light was removed darkness ensued naturally. The same with peace and evil.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The "evil" here is calamity.

When God "does evil" for example "...so shall the LORD bring upon you all evil..." it is the deserved ill-favor of God.

When man "does evil" it is an action that is out of God's favor. It is "wickedness" Wherefore he did evil

When an inanimate object is said to be evil it is an unfavorable thing. "but the water is evil" 2 Ki 2:19

It can be an action, or an adjective applied to an object, but it is always a state that is out of favor with God.

"There is no good at all in sin. There is no good of entity or being. All things that have a being have some good in them, for God has a being, and everything that has some good in it because it is of God. But sin is a non-entity, a no being. It is rather the deprivation of a being than any being at all and here is a great mystery of iniquity. That which is a non-entity in itself yet has such a migh efficacy to trouble heaven and earth. This is a great mystery."
- Jeremiah Burroughs (1599-1646), Evil of Evil's p9

AMR

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

I disagree with this, God did not create evil.

God turning what is meant for evil, to good, doesnt in any mean He created evil.

Evil is an action, a state of being absent of God, who is all good and contains no darkness at all.

1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

fzappa13

You realize that darkness is the absence of light. So that means God created light and then when the light was removed darkness ensued naturally. The same with peace and evil.

You're making an assertion without any scriptural backing. The passage said God created darkness. I am one of those weirdos that is inclined to take God's word at face value. But that is me taking the issue literally. Now, if we are talking about the appearance and removal of Jesus I'm inclined to agree. There is scriptural backing for that.

Last edited:

fzappa13

The "evil" here is calamity.

When God "does evil" for example "...so shall the LORD bring upon you all evil..." it is the deserved ill-favor of God.

When man "does evil" it is an action that is out of God's favor. It is "wickedness" Wherefore he did evil

When an inanimate object is said to be evil it is an unfavorable thing. "but the water is evil" 2 Ki 2:19

It can be an action, or an adjective applied to an object, but it is always a state that is out of favor with God.

"There is no good at all in sin. There is no good of entity or being. All things that have a being have some good in them, for God has a being, and everything that has some good in it because it is of God. But sin is a non-entity, a no being. It is rather the deprivation of a being than any being at all and here is a great mystery of iniquity. That which is a non-entity in itself yet has such a migh efficacy to trouble heaven and earth. This is a great mystery."
- Jeremiah Burroughs (1599-1646), Evil of Evil's p9

AMR

I kinda see this whole conversation cycling back to any one given individual's notion of the nature of God and His creation ... a notion that was batted back and forth to some extent in Lon's Trinity thread. It boils down to whether or not we see darkness and evil as being a part of God's creation or something outside of it. The latter of which would make them ambient aspects of what is and was before God's creation and you've got about one verse to lean on when trying to scripturally support the notion (Gen 1:2) that I am aware of.

Tot's notion of the covalent nature of good and evil has some merit, I think, but God's Word itself indicates a different arrangement in the future. It is likely beyond man's mental or dogmatic abilities to envision such a thing and so, just as with the matters of darkness and evil, we are likely left with only speculation as to how this will be manifest as comfort for the time being, I fear, though it does seem God has left some scriptural clues behind for the curious.

Last edited:

fzappa13

Yes but that is exactly what God is going to do, a new heavens and a new earth...and still further down the line "all things swallowed up in God."

I am not familiar with a verse that indicates all things would be swallowed up in God but I am familiar with several that indicate death would be swallowed up, presumably at the time that evil and those that gravitated to it are consumed.

While we are within sight of John's Revelation I would note that it has been helpful to me in attempting to understand similar but different biblical passages to make note of what is missing as well as what is common. In Genesis were are told of two trees but in Revelation, one. The missing tree may hold the key to a better understanding of God's new creation.