ECT Created

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did God create out of nothing, or did God create with what was within Himself? Like Eve was from within Adam.

I heard this question asked and thought it was a good one.

Does scripture make it plain one way or the other?

6days

Did God create out of nothing, or did God create with what was within Himself? Like Eve was from within Adam.

Not sure if I understand the question, but does Heb. 11:3 answer?
By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

scripture does but there are many scattered scriptures, which i don't know off the top of my head. my brain hurteded when i tried to grasp it.

God Breathed all things into existence, with His Word (Breath) all things are expressed -

Lon, PPS & AMR AND Arsenios and others really got deep into this in the Our Triune God thread. they discussed how Christ proceeded forth from the Father/Holy Ghost and many aspects of pre-creation.

that's the depth of my insight in few terms, obviously it's a detailed study. i just know God can do Anything. and if i can do all things through Christ . . . i can't fathom what God did/does

Philippians 4:13 KJV -

Last edited:

glorydaz

Deep question, but I'm inclined to think He spoke things into being and then built upon that from what was spoken already. :think:

Psalm 33:6-9 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Psalm 148:4-5
Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not sure if I understand the question, but does Heb. 11:3 answer?
By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen
What I heard went something like this .....

They reckon it with marriage between Adam & Eve. As if them joining together made them both complete as one.
In other words, clinging to the wife that was a part of Adam to begin with.
She was invisible within Adam, but was made manifest (visible).
She wasn't created from nothing.

We have Adam being given the breath of God, but not Eve, because Eve was taken from Adam, and therefore that breath was already in Eve.

Christ the last Adam.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The word BARA in verse 1 of the Bible has more the meaning of an artistic creation than a raw bringing into being from a vacuum. The object of the creation narratives is to show the wisdom of the creation, not the power of it.

This is not to say that God did not or could not have created from nothing. However, that is not the object of the creation story in Genesis. The emphasis on raw power is more a Greek idea. If God is already the most powerful being in the universe, then that is simply his nature. We don't worship him for that! He can't help being who he is. Go on, shoot me down!
But when we see the intelligence and wisdom, the love he exercised in creating the world like an artist or architect, we are left in wonder and worship because we see God's character through that. We see his choices, his decisions.

And in this world, we don't really praise a person because they are strong. We praise them because, being strong, they put themselves in danger by riding with a couple on a bus when the man was trying to abduct the woman. Or we praise them when, being intelligent, they invent a vaccine. And we don't praise a strong person who says 'Look at me, I can lift this weight and no one else can.' And when God created the world, he didn't say 'Look how great I am - I can do this but you can't!' He said 'Look how very good this is!'

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Did God create out of nothing, or did God create with what was within Himself?

Adam was not created from nothing, he was created from earth.

In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground for out of it you were taken, for dust you are and to dust you shall return. (Genesis 3:19 NKJV)​

musterion

This is one of many issues where, as far as I can tell (and I'm always willing to be newly and correctly informed), Scripture really doesn't say much at all so all we can do is speculate. Which is fine, as long as we know that's what we're doing and don't construct doctrine on that which God has not revealed. But for some, things like pantheism or panentheism will seem a sensible conclusion, like it is here but not here. I know that won't happen with anyone who has posted so far but some will probably be along who already do.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is one of many issues where, as far as I can tell (and I'm always willing to be newly and correctly informed), Scripture really doesn't say much at all so all we can do is speculate. Which is fine, as long as we know that's what we're doing and don't construct doctrine on that which God has not revealed.
Yes, this is just for speculation.

I think I could go either way with it and be fine with it as a possibility, unless we run across some scripture that would outright debunk it.
But there sure are a lot of things that seem to fit with theology in this view (Eve from Adam instead of from nothing), and the whole marriage concept.

But for some, things like pantheism or panentheism will seem a sensible conclusion, like it is here but not here. I know that won't happen with anyone who has posted so far but some will probably be along who already do.
Yeah, I can see how someone could take this way too far.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The word BARA in verse 1 of the Bible has more the meaning of an artistic creation than a raw bringing into being from a vacuum. The object of the creation narratives is to show the wisdom of the creation, not the power of it.

This is not to say that God did not or could not have created from nothing. However, that is not the object of the creation story in Genesis. The emphasis on raw power is more a Greek idea. If God is already the most powerful being in the universe, then that is simply his nature. We don't worship him for that! He can't help being who he is. Go on, shoot me down!
But when we see the intelligence and wisdom, the love he exercised in creating the world like an artist or architect, we are left in wonder and worship because we see God's character through that. We see his choices, his decisions.

And in this world, we don't really praise a person because they are strong. We praise them because, being strong, they put themselves in danger by riding with a couple on a bus when the man was trying to abduct the woman. Or we praise them when, being intelligent, they invent a vaccine. And we don't praise a strong person who says 'Look at me, I can lift this weight and no one else can.' And when God created the world, he didn't say 'Look how great I am - I can do this but you can't!' He said 'Look how very good this is!'
Good points. I agree.

Just hoping down a little bunny trail with this to explore the theological, or even prophetic implications it could have.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Deep question, but I'm inclined to think He spoke things into being and then built upon that from what was spoken already. :think:

Psalm 33:6-9 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Psalm 148:4-5
Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created.
Hi sister!

I have no doubt that God spoke and it happened. Just exploring possibilities of the process of "it happened".

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

From Himself:

Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Job 33:3 "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Psalm 104:30 When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Forgive me if I'm bamfoozled but is there someone teaching God created Eve from nothing?
Nah.

The whole premise is that the creation itself came from within God, instead of from nothing. Similar to Eve coming from within Adam, instead of from nothing.

Interplanner

We don't have any indication that he is corporeal as we know it. He did make man with the creative imprint that changes formless to formed, and fills the empty.

glorydaz

This is one of many issues where, as far as I can tell (and I'm always willing to be newly and correctly informed), Scripture really doesn't say much at all so all we can do is speculate. Which is fine, as long as we know that's what we're doing and don't construct doctrine on that which God has not revealed. But for some, things like pantheism or panentheism will seem a sensible conclusion, like it is here but not here. I know that won't happen with anyone who has posted so far but some will probably be along who already do.

I had no idea what those were....still don't, but it's farther out that I want to go. I thought I was far out when I used to think we were energy that would flit through space when we died. I must have used up all my imagination before I got saved. Now I just shrug and say it's above my pay grade. ;)

fzappa13

Nah.

The whole premise is that the creation itself came from within God, instead of from nothing. Similar to Eve coming from within Adam, instead of from nothing.

The name of God in the Hebrew indicates self existence. This is not ascribed to Adam or Eve. Therein lay the difference I think.