Could You Train Yourself To Enjoy...

Arthur Brain

Point out a question you say I've ignored, and I'll answer it.

You can write as much or as little as you'd like, man.

You ignored my whole post effectually dude. If you're just gonna do that when someone has taken that effort to address you then what do you expect? Why didn't you answer any of my own questions?

Debate works two ways and if people are directly answering you and making the effort then it's not much to ask for you to do the same in turn is it?

glassjester

You ignored my whole post effectually dude. If you're just gonna do that when someone has taken that effort to address you then what do you expect? Why didn't you answer any of my own questions?

Debate works two ways and if people are directly answering you and making the effort then it's not much to ask for you to do the same in turn is it?

No, of course not.

Which post did I ignore?

I can get to it tomorrow afternoon, I'm sure.
As of right now - it's late for me. I wake up very early for work.

Arthur Brain

Darn right.

But that isn't what you said. You said no one would argue that the Sistine Chapel was painted by a chimp. Why would anyone think that? Come on.

You also said no one would argue that the Moonlight Sonata was written by a two-year-old. Clearly no one would think a two-year-old is capable of doing something like that.

Something like what? A consummately skilled piece of art and music, recognized around the world as artistic masterpieces respectively?

:think:

Why do you suppose that is GJ?

Similarly, if I see a giant turd floating, unflushed in the toilet - I'm not going to blame the nearest 2-year-old. I simply know that a 2-year-old wasn't capable of producing it. But that doesn't make it a masterpiece, does it?

Then how about you argue why 'The Rite', Beethovens fifth symphony and any given accepted and venerated masterpiece shouldn't be seen in those terms then. Fair enough?

I've never argued that someone can't have technical skill.
But there are plenty of skilled painters - that does not mean that what they produce is considered to be beautiful. If no one likes their paintings, then they die unknown - none of their works "masterpieces."

Plenty of artists have died relatively unknown or at least certainly without famous recognition within their lifetime. Then again, show me a scholarly piece on how 'The Rite' is just a bunch of random rhythms and notes and I'll concede this entire thread.

Arthur Brain

No, of course not.

Which post did I ignore?

I can get to it tomorrow afternoon, I'm sure.
As of right now - it's late for me. I wake up very early for work.

#347. You just block quoted me without giving any answer to specific questions I asked of you GJ. If you can answer those when you have the time then it would be appreciated and would make for a proper debate.

glassjester

It's more an article about positive associations which is fair enough to a point. If you had a wonderful date in a restaurant where the meal left a lot to be desired you might have fond memories of the place for reasons besides the food. It's unlikely that you'd book the same place to eat out again though isn't it?

Did you read the article?

The fact is that we get enjoyment from widespread positive associations. And we enjoy the things that trigger them.

You insist on the listener enjoying the music for its own sake. Or the diner enjoying the restaurant for its own sake. But why? That's not the only way people are capable of enjoying things.

My wife and I enjoy visiting places (restaurants, parks, museums, etc) where we went while we were still dating. Do you think if my wife had dumped me on our second date, that I'd seek out that same restaurant? Heck no. I'd probably not even remember the name of it by now. I don't enjoy it for it's own sake. But going back there with her is a pleasurable experience. I enjoy it.

Are you partial to pouring coffee on a Sunday roast dinner or gravy?

No. I haven't tried it, though. It might taste good. Have you tried it?

Of course certain things are innate and unchangeable. How many restaurants do you suppose would stay open for business if their menu consisted of savoury products served with whipped cream and deserts in wholegrain mustard?

I don't know.
And I don't have to.
I don't get why Ethiopian restaurants stay open. Yet, they do.

I bet I could get accustomed to Ethiopian food if I wanted to.

Now hey, there may be some people who enjoy a lasagne covered in custard but there's a reason why foods are generally served with the condiments they are don't you think?

Yes, because that's the most popular choice.
So what?

The palette develops and that can obviously encompass music as well but if the things that catch your ear are away from basic harmony then a Beyonce song or 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' is not gonna do much for you.

Your enjoyment for things "away from basic harmony" didn't occur in a vacuum. Your own deliberate choices (seeking out certain types of music, avoiding others) shaped your musical taste.

Do you deny that you played (and continue to play) an active role in forming your musical taste?

There's no action I could take to make something bland either sound or taste interesting,

First - interesting is not synonymous with enjoyable.
Second - What actions have you taken to increase your enjoyment of something?

short of altering the thing to make it virtually unrecognizable which would defeat the point.

Yes, that would defeat the purpose.

I could probably tolerate peanut butter as an ingredient in something provided it was masked enough but what would be the point? Some people love the stuff, I'm just not one of them. I tolerated all manner of pop music at work but constant exposure and familiarity with it didn't lead to enjoyment.

If you could have chosen to enjoy it, would you have?

I don't expect everyone to enjoy Ligeti's music and I don't insist that they can.

Ok.

What I find irritating is your insistence that I can enjoy something that I know fine well I can't, much as how TH has explained in turn. I'm not saying you mean offense with your argument but it seems you're that fixed that there's no room for maneuver with you even acknowledging that you could be wrong?

Yeah - again, don't take it personally, man.
Anyway, of course I could be wrong.

Anyway, happy new year.

:cheers:

Thanks - I will choose to enjoy 2017. :angel:

Last edited:

glassjester

Something like what? A consummately skilled piece of art and music, recognized around the world as artistic masterpieces respectively?

Why do you suppose that is GJ?

Because people enjoy them.

Then how about you argue why 'The Rite', Beethovens fifth symphony and any given accepted and venerated masterpiece shouldn't be seen in those terms then. Fair enough?

I don't think they shouldn't be.
But calling any artwork "great" is purely a statement of opinion.
And it would be impossible to argue against anyone's opinion of anything.

I can't and won't argue that your favorite ice cream flavor shouldn't be chocolate (or whatever it happens to be).

Plenty of artists have died relatively unknown or at least certainly without famous recognition within their lifetime. Then again, show me a scholarly piece on how 'The Rite' is just a bunch of random rhythms and notes and I'll concede this entire thread.

But it isn't random.
Why would I try to argue that it is?

glassjester

Arthur, is this a great work of art? A masterpiece, maybe?

267832BB00000578-2987535-image-m-41_1425963876826.jpg

glassjester

which is why i don't hesitate to heap abuse on him when he's earned it

he demands a "debate, on points" but when you attempt to give him one he can't keep track of his own argument

Yeah, well I don't know that "heaping abuse" on anyone really accomplishes much.

Arthur Brain

Did you read the article?

The fact is that we get enjoyment from widespread positive associations. And we enjoy the things that trigger them.

We can do, yes.

You insist on the listener enjoying the music for its own sake. Or the diner enjoying the restaurant for its own sake. But why? That's not the only way people are capable of enjoying things.

My wife and I enjoy visiting places (restaurants, parks, museums, etc) where we went while we were still dating. Do you think if my wife had dumped me on our second date, that I'd seek out that same restaurant? Heck no. I'd probably not even remember the name of it by now. I don't enjoy it for it's own sake. But going back there with her is a pleasurable experience. I enjoy it.

I'm not arguing that it isn't but it wouldn't be for the thing itself and in that token a Beyonce song will never be a pleasurable listening experience, for me. Even if there was a positive association with one of her tracks (which there isn't, more the reverse of having to tolerate it at work) I wouldn't choose to listen to any of her stuff as it's boring. I've enjoyed seeing kids entertained by 'My Little Pony' but I don't go home and watch it on TV for entertainment purposes.

I get your analogy with positive/negative associations. If you were dumped on a date in the greatest restaurant on Earth it would be understandable if you didn't want to set foot in the place again, but it wouldn't have anything to do with you choosing to enjoy or not enjoy the food, which is kind of the principle in play here isn't it?

No. I haven't tried it, though. It might taste good. Have you tried it?

Once, accidentally when I spilled a cup of the stuff over my plate. It did not taste good and I'm pretty sure if you're honest that you know it wouldn't be better for you either. What do you generally order when you go out for a meal, because I'm laying odds that it isn't Tex Mex in chocolate sauce...;)

I don't know.
And I don't have to.
I don't get why Ethiopian restaurants stay open. Yet, they do.

I bet I could get accustomed to Ethiopian food if I wanted to.

It's obvious. It's because our palettes and taste buds are generally hardwired to put certain foodstuffs with others. Salt in savoury and sugar in sweet. That's a basic rule sure but you don't 'choose' to find the taste of a food savoury or sweet do you? Or anything else, bitter etc.

Sure, you probably can get accustomed to food from other cultures, heck, I enjoy a lot of spicy food and here's something you might appreciate. I was out with a good friend a coupla years ago in a local pub and it was 'curry club night', so essentially it was a curry of choice with a pint for a lot less than it would normally cost. I was fed up of this friend saying how much he enjoyed the smell of the stuff but wouldn't order one but this time I convinced him to give one a go. Turned out he'd had a prank played on him by his brother who'd made him one that practically set his mouth on fire and it turned him off curry for years. when I explained that the milder ones taste as how you'd expect from the aroma he had a Tikka Massala and loved it.

So, negative associations with the prank sure. He might have easily still not enjoyed it on choosing to give it a go as well however. His choice was to do just that, not to enjoy the food itself.

Yes, because that's the most popular choice.
So what?

Well, again, why do you suppose that is? Restaurants and food outlets are in the business of providing a market, not determining the tastes of that market itself.

Your enjoyment for things "away from basic harmony" didn't occur in a vacuum. Your own deliberate choices (seeking out certain types of music, avoiding others) shaped your musical taste.

Do you deny that you played (and continue to play) an active role in forming your musical taste?

Well, no, they didn't. I could have played 'The Rite' and been bored by it, found it to be a cacophony or some such. I didn't, nor did I 'choose' to enjoy it. The only choice I made that day was to try a tape that my dad hired from the local library and give it a go without knowing anything about it. Sure, as I've already said I made choices to search out more of Stravinsky, other contemporaries and searched for music that was more likely to hit that 'musical spot' through all sorts of different genres. Some I liked, a lot of it I didn't but I've never shut out anything that hits the ear. I know through continual exposure to commercial music that it's few and far between where something does that but if I enjoy it I enjoy it. It has to be something that isn't by the numbers and formulaic though.

First - interesting is not synonymous with enjoyable.
Second - What actions have you taken to increase your enjoyment of something?

Are you ever enjoyed while bored? If something is interesting then there has to be something enjoyable about it at least.

If somethings completely lacks any enjoyment then there's nothing there to actually increase. The closest I got to anything resembling was the repartee as to how crap the local radio station was...:eek:

Yes, that would defeat the purpose.

So there'd be no point then. I've given peanut butter a few goes on occasion and the result is the same. Yeuch...

If you could have chosen to enjoy it, would you have?

Probably, except that's not how things work. If I could have chosen to enjoy Salmonella food poisoning for a fortnight as a kid then you can bet your last cent I'd have done it. Not an option though...

But shouldn't you be insistent that everyone can train themselves to enjoy Ligeti's music, to be consistent?

:p

Yeah - again, don't take it personally, man.
Anyway, of course I could be wrong.

Hey, I appreciate the detailed response here, so no bother.

:cheers:

Thanks - I will choose to enjoy 2017. :angel:

Well, good luck, I hope you find much that's enjoyable for you in it.

:D

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yeah, well I don't know that "heaping abuse" on anyone really accomplishes much.

i spose i keeping hoping he'll learn :idunno:

i have a strong suspicion that his "you're a troll! i'm putting you on ignore!" schtick is just his way of avoiding answering questions that he can't

like the following:

There's really no such thing as an objectively "great" work of art.

Of course there is.

then you should be able to list the objective, measurable qualities that define a "great" work of art

Arthur Brain

Because people enjoy them.

No, else any given pop song could be described as such. No serious scholar or anyone informed would deny that Beethoven's fifth or 'The Rite' aren't musical masterpieces even if they didn't personally care for either work. TH has addressed this in detail already so I suggest you re-read his responses as I don't really care to regurgitate essentially the same lines?

I don't think they shouldn't be.
But calling any artwork "great" is purely a statement of opinion.
And it would be impossible to argue against anyone's opinion of anything.

As above. There's reasons why Shakespeare will still be venerated in another hundred years and why the authors of Mills & Boon novels won't be, or really, ever have been. C'mon GJ, you can do the math here.

I can't and won't argue that your favorite ice cream flavor shouldn't be chocolate (or whatever it happens to be).

Nobody's arguing that you should enjoy a critically acclaimed and established piece in the arts anyway. I sure don't enjoy everything that's venerated as a masterwork but that's besides the point.

But it isn't random.
Why would I try to argue that it is?

Someone who didn't enjoy it and lacked any musical understanding as to why it's a masterpiece might though.

glassjester

i spose i keeping hoping he'll learn :idunno:

More flies with honey, right?

But then, y'know, you've got flies...
...and who wants flies?

i have a strong suspicion that his "you're a troll! i'm putting you on ignore!" schtick is just his way of avoiding answering questions that he can't

like the following:

Maybe that image I posted of an abstract "masterpiece" will get us toward an answer, on that front.

ok doser

...and who wants flies?

fly fishermen? :idunno:

GJ said:
Maybe that image I posted of an abstract "masterpiece" will get us toward an answer, on that front.

hope springs eternal (although i notice he's falling back on his tired old "TH has addressed this in detail already" and "do the math" :dizzy: )

Arthur Brain

267832BB00000578-2987535-image-m-41_1425963876826.jpg

It does nothing for me frankly, as does a lot of 'contemporary' modern work, especially in art. I think there's a fair case for your 'emperor's new clothes' argument in that regard and there's been a constant 'battle' in that area for years. I'm no fan of a lot of 'conceptual' art in that regard as some of it reeks of pretentiousness so that's a fair counter GJ.

Not so much where it comes to the verifiable skill and mastery of those who've written, composed undisputed masterpieces in the field of the arts, even up to the present.

Else do you seriously think that Beethoven, Dali, Shakespeare are overhyped quacks and their critical and public acclaim are borne out of nothing but subjective enjoyment?

ok doser

Not so much where it comes to the verifiable skill and mastery of those who've written, composed undisputed masterpieces in the field of the arts, even up to the present.

Else do you seriously think that Beethoven, Dali, Shakespeare are overhyped quacks and their critical and public acclaim are borne out of nothing but subjective enjoyment?

Shakespeare's work's reputation as "masterpiece" is not undisputed - he's had his detractors over the ages

if your argument is that his work is objectively genius, then provide me with objective measures that define it as genius

the following resonates with me - can you tell me, objectively what makes it a great speech?

Arthur Brain

...and who wants flies?

He knows fine well why he's not getting a response anymore from me, just as well as he does with TH. You may not be so familiar with the guy but his track record of trolling and posting to get rises out of people goes back a long time and he's had more bans for stalking than anyone else on this forum, specifically TH. Not to mention the times he's gone about how much he looks forward to people burning in hell so you'll understand if I don't have any inclination to give this guy any time. No doubt he'll jump all over this but AFAIC this discussion is between you and I, and TH or others if they want to have a debate on the issues but not as far as this nut. He can troll up the thread until he gets bored of the lack of response and get his kicks elsewhere.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oops. Give me a minute and I'll edit this with a response. The painting in question is a Rothko. TBC. Rothko is a bit like baseball, you need to be there. I love a lot of his work. It's powerful in person. He went through a number or styles and explorations before finding that particular voice.

A couple of things from earlier in his artistic life:

View attachment 25124 View attachment 25125

Last edited: