#23 Mississippi @ #25 L.S.U. (-5.5)
Ole Miss

Memphis (-1.5) @ #24 Navy
Memphis

#22 North Carolina (-9) @ Virginia
North Carolina

#17 Arkansas @ #21 Auburn (-10)
Auburn wins, but doesn't cover.

Eastern Michigan @ #20 Western Michigan (-23)
Western Michigan and the points

#19 Utah @ U.C.L.A. (-7)
U.C.L.A.

#16 Oklahoma (-11) @ Texas Tech
Texas Tech

B.Y.U. @ #14 Boise St. (-7)
Boise St.

T.C.U @ #12 West Virginia (-4)
West Virginia

#11 Houston (-24.5) @ S.M.U.
Houston wins, doesn't cover.

Top 10 tomorrow

drbrumley

#10 Wisconsin (-3) @ Iowa
Few teams have looked better in defeat than the Badgers, who pushed a more talented team to the brink for the second consecutive game. Wisconsin's offense showed great balance (236 rush yards, 214 pass yards) as running back Corey Clement sizzled and quarterback Alex Hornibrook continued to show moxie. A second-half lull ultimately doomed Wisconsin, which might need to win out to claim the Big Ten West Division crown.
Iowa wins at home

Purdue @ #8 Nebraska (-24)
Anyone who has watched Indiana knew Saturday's trip wouldn't be easy. The Huskers saw a 17-0 lead dwindle, and quarterback Tommy Armstrong (10-of-26 passing) made some of those uh-oh throws that have plagued him in the past. But Nebraska made enough plays to prevail in an evenly played game. After finding every way to lose last fall, the Huskers are 6-0 for the first time since 2001.
Nebraska covers.

N.C. St. @ #7 Louisville (-20)
Whether Louisville fell victim to an open-week hangover or Duke's pressuring defense, it didn't show its typical dominance Friday. If not for a roughing-the-kicker penalty, the Cardinals would have been sweating it out in the closing minutes with a 3-point lead. Lamar Jackson showed he's human (13-of-26 passing) but still posted his fifth 100-yard rushing-performance in six games.
Louisville covers

Oregon St @ #5 Washington (-37)
The Huskies are nationally relevant again. How will they handle that success? Coach Chris Petersen continues to shield his team from the national spotlight as much as possible, but quarterback Jake Browning is an emerging Heisman Trophy candidate, and others are generating attention. Washington gets back to action this week against Oregon State before a potentially tricky stretch (at Utah, at Cal, USC).
Washington covers

Illinois @ #3 Michigan (-38)
Jim Harbaugh hit the scheduling jackpot: eight home games and an open week right at the midpoint of the slate. The Wolverines are rested for a second half featuring more challenges, perhaps not this week against Illinois but the following week at Spartan Stadium, where they haven't won since 2007. Jabrill Peppers remains very much in the thick of the Heisman race.
Michigan covers

#2 Ohio St. (-19.5) @ Penn. St.
There would be no double-digit win this time. The Buckeyes worked for every point at Camp Randall Stadium, and post-halftime heroics from J.T. Barrett propelled them to an overtime win. Barrett accounted for three touchdowns (two rushing, one passing) and showed incredible poise. Ohio State's defense struggled for stretches but made key plays late. The Buckeyes face another prime-time road test this week at Penn State.
Ohio St covers

Now the GAME OF THE WEEK

#6 Texas A&M @ #1 Alabama (-19)

Debate the rest of the rankings if you'd like, but there's no doubt about No. 1. Alabama recorded its most dominant performance of the season against Tennessee, recording two more nonoffensive touchdowns and three rushing scores from Jalen Hurts. The freshman quarterback is unstoppable running the zone read in the red zone. Alabama enters its showdown against Texas A&M oozing with confidence.

Kevin Sumlin and his players got a chance to catch their breath after last week's wild and exhausting win over Tennessee. The Aggies now get a chance to validate themselves as national title contenders as they visit Alabama. Trevor Knight might be the anti-Johnny Football off the field, but Texas A&M wouldn't mind if he replicated Manziel's heroics against an opportunistic Tide defense
Alabama Covers

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Notre Dame had a big time recruit back out. He is still open to the Domers, but is considering others now that he knows how bad they stink. Pat Narduzzi needs to reel him in. And it isn't like I am telling him something he doesn't know.

Donovan Jeter (the ND recruit who backed out) has an older brother (Sheldon Jeter) who is a senior on Pitt's basketball team.

Their cousin Lance Jeter played basketball at Nebraska.

However, none of them are related to Derek Jeter.

Here's an interesting story about Sheldon Jeter:

He was a star basketball recruit, and Pitt's Jamie Dixon wanted him badly. However, Jeter chose Vanderbilt. After one season at Vanderbilt, Jeter transferred to Pitt because he didn't like Kevin Stallings the Vandy coach. Jeter sat out a year, then played his sophomore and junior year at Pitt with Dixon as the coach.

Then after last year, Dixon left for TCU, and Pitt hired Stallings from Vanderbilt.

So, now Jeter has to play his senior season at Pitt with Stallings as the coach, which is why he left Vanderbilt in the first place.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Penn State 24
Ohio State 21

:think:........Everyone thought Ohio St. vs Alabama for the championship was a sure thing.

I guess this makes Michigan, Clemson, Nebraska, Washington, and West Virginia happy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Penn State 24
Ohio State 21
I don't think I've ever had mixed emotions before when Ohio State lost, but there you go.

:think:........Everyone thought Ohio St. vs Alabama for the championship was a sure thing.
It's not a sure thing that either of those teams are there at the end. I think my boys are still moving toward the sort of cohesion they need to reach their potential...which remains scary either way.

I guess this makes Michigan, Clemson, Nebraska, Washington, and West Virginia happy.
:think: On the one hand you want to get there/on the other you want to be competitive when you are, so I wonder how enthusiastic some of those are, sub rosa.

Roll Tide :)

drbrumley

So the rankings are out.

No surprises except #4. Texas A&M is not the 4th best team. I actually had Washington.

My top 10 is

1. Alabama
2. Michigan
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. Ohio St.
6. Louisville
7. Texas A&M
8. Wisconsin
9. Nebraska
10. Florida

I will give the other 15 tomorrow.

So what are your thoughts?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Texas A&M made the playoff committee look bad.

Just how good might Ohio State be? The last 2 years it was Ohio State then Alabama. I was thinking this year it was Alabama then Ohio State. Now, I'm not sure. LSU was punched in the mouth by Wisconsin. And Ohio State played bad in October and beat Wisconsin in their house. They were clicking Saturday night.

On the other hand teams can have a lull, and maybe that is where Bama is. The Iron Bowl is must watch for national implications.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Texas A&M made the playoff committee look bad.

Just how good might Ohio State be? The last 2 years it was Ohio State then Alabama. I was thinking this year it was Alabama then Ohio State. Now, I'm not sure. LSU was punched in the mouth by Wisconsin. And Ohio State played bad in October and beat Wisconsin in their house. They were clicking Saturday night.

On the other hand teams can have a lull, and maybe that is where Bama is. The Iron Bowl is must watch for national implications.
Auburn struggled to put Vandy away, so maybe not...Some times you just match up well. That's a terrific defense and a solid team that has played much better under their new coach than they did for the Mad Hatter.

Alabama...really, when I looked at the team I thought this year would be a building to next year's run sort of year. Rookie qb and questions at the skill positions we haven't had in a while. Now...I think we might run the table and come back stronger next year. Our qb was jumpy for a lot of the game, throwing wild more than a few times. We were lucky one of them wasn't a pick. He made up for it in crunch time, but I think the stage got to him and that the experience is a necessary part of his maturation.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jalen Hurts is an athlete that can run the zone read. He is competent. His passing needs work. Auburn will put up resistance, I don't mean to imply they should be in the discussion. And if they topple Bama, that has national implications (duh).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Michigan-Ohio State kick off at noon. I like "the game" early, and the Iron Bowl in the evening.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jalen Hurts is an athlete that can run the zone read. He is competent. His passing needs work. Auburn will put up resistance, I don't mean to imply they should be in the discussion. And if they topple Bama, that has national implications (duh).
What I was getting at was your uncertainty about Bama.

A few points:

1. LSU plays better at home. It's a brutal place to go for a game. They were 5-0 there on the season going into the Bama game.

2. The 2 LSU losses had seen them average 14 - 17 away. The 5 wins: 36.4 - 14.2 average at home.

2. LSU had been playing even better for their interim coach. That winning average was up to 41.7 - 12.7 in the three games under Orgeron prior to Bama.

3. The rookie qb showed the effect of both for much of the game, skying passes he'd been completing earlier. His completion percentage was down 10 pts. I think playing against that team in that stadium threw him. But he rallied enough to help win the game late. That bodes well for Bama in the remaining and playoffs.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pitt is it !!!!!!!!

Well......at least for today.

Don't know how they did it, but they did it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's hard to go undefeated. Pitt should be ranked. Before today. The SEC should not be ranked outside of Alabama, then A&M around 20. The ACC has a lot of depth this year. So does the Big Ten.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And that is what I get for saying Michigan is on par with Ohio State. I think Harbaugh will take them all
the way. He is a much better coach than that clown before him. A clown with charisma who recruited very well, but didn't develop his talent. Michigan looked past Iowa. They still have a chance in Columbus, but need a great game while having Urban Meyer look unprepared.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And that is what I get for saying Michigan is on par with Ohio State.
Bizarre day in college football.

I think Harbaugh will take them all the way.
Driving the bus back? :eek:

He is a much better coach than that clown before him. A clown with charisma who recruited very well, but didn't develop his talent. Michigan looked past Iowa. They still have a chance in Columbus, but need a great game while having Urban Meyer look unprepared.
How often is that going to happen?

Roll Tide.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How often is that going to happen?

I have seen him drop two games to Michigan State that he should not have, and one to Clemson. You know big time coaches often fail at their own pride. The biggest and best coaches all do it.

We are doing this, and they won't stop it mentality.