College Football 2016

drbrumley

I have seen him drop two games to Michigan State that he should not have, and one to Clemson. You know big time coaches often fail at their own pride. The biggest and best coaches all do it.

We are doing this, and they won't stop it mentality.

He really hurt Brantley when he was at Florida for that reason. You didn't have a Tebow on the roster at QB to run his offense and Brantley got killed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So who's everyone's top 4?

I have

1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. Michigan
4. Clemson
I have Alabama occupying the first three spots and Ohio a trailing fourth. . . :plain: But it was kind of you to include Clemson and I'm sure it will make The Tiger on a slow week.

:poly:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
USC being the best team in the PAC-12 certainly dampens a good Washington team's chances of making the playoff. And, this is why the BCS +1 (four team playoff) should not be used. I have no problem with 5 Champions and 3 at large for the 8 teams.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Louisville is about done. Ohio State is lucky they got past Michigan State in a squeaker. Alabama played a decent 8-3 patsy that put all it had into the first quarter to take a 3-0 start. Then Alabama checked the chin strap and put them down like rabid dogs. Tennessee did a number on Missouri, largely in the fourth quarter. Impressive. Florida won the right to be the sacrificial lamb in the SEC Championship game.

Interesting week.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Louisville is about done. Ohio State is lucky they got past Michigan State in a squeaker. Alabama played a decent 8-3 patsy that put all it had into the first quarter to take a 3-0 start. Then Alabama checked the chin strap and put them down like rabid dogs. Tennessee did a number on Missouri, largely in the fourth quarter. Impressive. Florida won the right to be the sacrificial lamb in the SEC Championship game.

Interesting week.

Check your rep for my comment that I would not post in public.

Texas A&M should not be ranked if Trevor Knight is no playing under center. Auburn should not be ranked because they suck. Auburn's wins include 5-6 Ole Miss, 5-6 Vanderbilt, 4-7 Mississippi State, Arkansas State and Louisiana Monroe. After Alabama, there is a big drop in the SEC. Which is not the norm, but things like talent does go in cycles. Rivalry games should never be a beat down, and I think this will be. I'll still watch.

The Michigan-Ohio State winner is in. If Michigan wins, they have to win the Big Ten championship in Indianapolis against Wisconsin. I think they will. If Ohio State wins, they stay home ranked #2 in the playoff with wins against Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Michigan, all in the top 10. If PSU beats Michigan State, they go to the Big Ten game against Wisconsin, and I think they lose.

After that, who knows. USC looks like they should look after a 1-3 start. Your Tide was not the only team to roll them early. They are the best in the PAC12, and in second in their division behind Colorado. The committee knows USC pushed Washington around, they watched the game.

The Big 12 needs a miracle that I do not see.

Clemson is only out if they go "Clemsoning".

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Check your rep for my comment that I would not post in public.
:chuckle: I understand the thing, but I've never been a fan of it and it has less support in years like this one.
Texas A&M should not be ranked if Trevor Knight is no playing under center.
Agreed.

Auburn should not be ranked because they suck. Auburn's wins include 5-6 Ole Miss, 5-6 Vanderbilt, 4-7 Mississippi State, Arkansas State and Louisiana Monroe. After Alabama, there is a big drop in the SEC. Which is not the norm, but things like talent does go in cycles. Rivalry games should never be a beat down, and I think this will be. I'll still watch.
The only thing that makes it potentially interesting is our freshman qb. The LSU home stage got to him. It took an impressive defensive performance and a lot of patience on Saban's part to get to that fourth quarter. Auburn can play physical ball and the Tigers faithful are hoping Hurts is LSU'ed by the stage and that opens the door for an upset...coupled with a down defensive day, I suppose. I don't see that happening.

The Michigan-Ohio State winner is in. If Michigan wins, they have to win the Big Ten championship in Indianapolis against Wisconsin. I think they will. If Ohio State wins, they stay home ranked #2 in the playoff with wins against Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Michigan, all in the top 10. If PSU beats Michigan State, they go to the Big Ten game against Wisconsin, and I think they lose.
No real disagreement on any of that, though I'm only really interested in watching the Mich/Ohio game. I'm done worrying about Clemson, in or out. Too bad Penn can't get in. I'd love to put one on them, on general principle. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Michigan-Ohio State winner is in.

If OSU wins and Penn State wins, Penn State wins the division.

What happens if Penn State beats Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game? Does OSU still get in?
Clemson is only out if they go "Clemsoning

Like they did against Pitt? However, Pitt also beat Penn State.

If Penn State wins the Big 10 Championship and is kept out of the College Football Playoff, then the regular season and conference championships are completely meaningless.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Too bad Penn can't get in. I'd love to put one on them, on general principle. :)

hahahaha...

It would be like 1979 all over again....except a lot more scoring.

View attachment 25004

Most people remember the goal line stand by Alabama, but few remember there was still six minutes left after that stop. Alabama went three-and-out, and then the punter shanked the punt. Penn State would have had the ball just inside Alabama's 30 yard line, but they were flagged for 12 men on the field.

That gave Alabama a first down, and then they ran out the clock.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
hahahaha...

It would be like 1979 all over again....except a lot more scoring.

View attachment 25004

Most people remember the goal line stand by Alabama, but few remember there was still six minutes left after that stop. Alabama went three-and-out, and then the punter shanked the punt. Penn State would have had the ball just inside Alabama's 30 yard line, but they were flagged for 12 men on the field.

That gave Alabama a first down, and then they ran out the clock.
Well, if you can't get in from the one, the game is essentially over. Penn had managed one td in the ballgame going into that final six minutes and that with help. Penn's strength was its #1 defense, but they had about twenty yds of offense by the half. It was a miracle the game was as close as it was, or a testament to stout defense... And McElroy missed a fg in the third that he'd have made 99% of the time. It took a Rutledge mistake to put State in a position to score and tie the game even so. Heck, the goal line bit was only possible because of a miscommunication between qb and rb that gave Penn the ball within twenty yds of the goal. And they couldn't make that pay off.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So the kid looked like a mess early, but the offense found its feet later and the defense continued to do what it does best, smother the best efforts of other teams.

30-12, Roll Tide. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So the kid looked like a mess early,

Speaking of mess......Ohio State and Penn State won. So, Ohio State is eliminated from the Big 10 Championship Game.

So, if Alabama, Clemson, Washington, and Penn State win their conference championship games, does Ohio State get in? If so, who is left out?

What if Wisconsin wins the Big 10? Do they get in?

BTW:

Pitt beat Syracuse today by the score of 76-61 (the most combined points in FBS history)....there were 20 touchdowns in the game!!

The 76 points by Pitt's football team against Syracuse is more points than Pitt's basketball team has scored the last three times they played Syracuse.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What happens if Penn State beats Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game? Does OSU still get in?

Maybe.

The committee in their press conference stated there is a large gap between the 2-5 teams and the ones after, including Oklahoma and Penn State. They also have had Washington ranked low because of the schedule and how bad the PAC 12 is. And then USC pushed them around.

OU being Big 12 Champion is out. They were crushed at home by Ohio State. Speaking of which, Penn State was crushed by Michigan 49-10, and the committee is not the AP voters. They don't say, that was the beginning of the season. That loss has to be explained away. Beating Wisconsin might help.

If Colorado wins, the PAC 12 is out. CU lost to Michigan. Not a blow out, but a comfortable win. Washington is very much a "maybe" according to the committee.

If Penn State wins the Big 10 Championship and is kept out of the College Football Playoff, then the regular season and conference championships are completely meaningless.

Duke was 5th best in the ACC, and won the NCAA tournament. However, a 3 loss at large team is very unlikely as is a 2 loss at large team. So, the regular season is not meaningless.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Also, I have Alabama number1, for the first time since 2013. Ohio State was 2014 and yes, 2015. Not this year. I think all those kids are just too much. They were inconsistent. On the Big Ten network season previews, they said Ohio State has 44 freshmen eligible players. Talent all around, but teams have to learn and develop.

I think it is Alabama above Ohio State now, but we might not even find out.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Louisville lost again. Tennessee lost again. USC after a horrible start now has their NFL talent on offense humming. Jackson and Smith could have played in the NFL this year.

I look forward to the possibility of USC and Michigan in the Rose Bowl. But those conferences have a habit of not giving us the matchup.

Michigan beat both Penn State and Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Also, I have Alabama number 1, for the first time since 2013. Ohio State was 2014 and yes, 2015. Not this year. I think all those kids are just too much. They were inconsistent. On the Big Ten network season previews, they said Ohio State has 44 freshmen eligible players. Talent all around, but teams have to learn and develop.

I think it is Alabama above Ohio State now, but we might not even find out.
I think that would be the most entertaining match-up, but like you I'm less than sure it's a possibility. Also, 2015 was and is ours. :)

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not much movement in the top 6. Michigan only moved down to number 5. Afterall, Colorado (might beat Washington), Penn State, and Wisconsin all lost to Michigan.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, for a brief and shinning moment Florida fans were on top of the world (and the SEC) but all good things come to an end. Usually by the fourth quarter, with Alabama. A bit earlier this time around.

Hurts is my one concern. As I noted in the LSU game, he looked like that intensity and stage overwhelmed him, the grace ending notwithstanding. Then came the Iron Bowl and, honestly, he was awful again. Last night, same thing.

His rating through those games?

LSU: 59.0 with his late win driven by his ability to run the ball.

Auburn: 62.8 Two passing tds, sure, but then he threw two picks.

SEC Championship: 31.6 with 1 td against no picks. They shut down the impact of his running game. Essentially, he didn't turn it over and mostly got out of the way of a great stable of RBs, while the defense did their thing. At the very least, we need this sort of performance from him in the playoffs, because absent an off night by the strength of this team, I don't see anyone beating us. And if he can have a better game, God help our opponents.