College Football 2015

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
For those that don't know much about Wisconsin other than 2000 yard running backs, you aren't missing anything. They are still that team. They will line up with double tight ends at times. They are similar to Nick Saban's Alabama team. They are physical at the line. However, Alabama has better players and should win this slug fest.

Wisconsin will be led by Corey Clement. He had 1000 (949) yards last year. That is a bunch of yards for somebody who mostly played in the fourth quarter. Said another way, Melvin Gordon got his 2500 yards playing on 3 quarters a game. I can say he had the best single season ever, even though his total was a little short of Barry Sanders.

Alabama will run behind Derrick Henry, the one time top overall running back prospect. Ahead of players like Zeke Elliot. Henry is 240 lbs and runs like a deer. Good luck with that SEC West.

I like Alabama to win by having a deeper roster.

240 and he runs like a gazelle. ostrich, cheetah, greyhound, jack-rabbit

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barry Alvarez turned Wisconsin football into what it is today. He is the only Big Ten coach to ever win back-to-back Rose bowls. Alvarez is currently the AD at Wisconsin.

His hand picked successor who is now at Arkansas is a phony. After Alvarez went and won Rose Bowls for Wisconsin, Bielema went and lost Rose Bowls. Bielema against Big Ten powers was 2-3 against Penn State, 1-5 against Ohio State, 3-4 against Michigan State. He was 2-5 in bowl games.

Gary Anderson left after two seasons for one reason, academics. Wisconsin denies admission to football recruits with GPA and test scores above the NCAA standard but below school standards. After the 59-0 score it was obvious.

Speaking of which, the other big game is Va Tech and Ohio State in Blacksburg. Last year I said OSU had 4 new starters on the offensive line and a new quarterback and they should throw a jail house blitz on them every time. They sort of did with the Buddy Ryan 4-6 defense. This time OSU has 4 players suspended for idiocy. Word is one was marijuana. Talk about a good way to end your career. The Big Ten only allows one positive test. The second and they are suspended indefinitely. Or is it 5. I think it is 4 of their h-back-receivers and the other is Joey Bosa.

This might go for them just like last year. Or Ohio State beats them by 3 touchdowns. Phil Steele pointed out their line is not starting new players this time, and in fact are as good as it gets as we saw back in January against Alabama. I'll be watching this game.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
240 and he runs like a gazelle. ostrich, cheetah, greyhound, jack-rabbit

Not a jack-rabbit. Or an ostrich? He needs a moment. He is a Jim Brown type powerback with speed. Alabama is right about where I thought they would be. New players on offensive line? They are all very talented. There is some work for them to do, as Wisconsin did get through early and late and some in between.

Wisconsin is where I thought. Their offense works against 99% of teams. Not when the front 7 can stand up against them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm still less settled on our passing game, though both qbs did well. Mostly we stopped their run and ran well and that was the game. Our 3rd down efficiency was awful for most of the game and I'm not fond of having to rely on big plays, so that's a concern. We had too many penalties...what else...our secondary continues the Bama tradition of never looking back for the ball, which will cost us at some point if it isn't corrected.

Overall a cautious thumbs up for the 35-17 win over a ranked opponent who either wasn't as good at what I took to be their strength or ran into a defense (literally) that was better than I expected. Maybe a little of both with a lean toward that D line.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Overall a cautious thumbs up for the 35-17 win over a ranked opponent who either wasn't as good at what I took to be their strength or ran into a defense (literally) that was better than I expected. Maybe a little of both with a lean toward that D line.

A&M looked tough on the other channel. Sumlin when out of his way to find more Manzeil copies. Which one could say is a Steve Young copy. You could say Mississippi looked tough, but they were playing a really bad team.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A&M looked tough on the other channel. Sumlin when out of his way to find more Manzeil copies. Which one could say is a Steve Young copy.
How's their D?

Just glanced at the box score. Arizona was working on a five yard average rushing. They can't fix that we aren't worried.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Missouri Tigers
Scores & Schedule
Sat, Sep 5 vs Southeast Missouri State W 3 - 34 Final
Sat, Sep 12 @ Arkansas State 6:00 PM
Sat, Sep 19 vs Connecticut 11:00 AM
Sat, Sep 26 @ Kentucky TBD
Sat, Oct 3 vs South Carolina TBD
Sat, Oct 10 vs Florida TBD
Sat, Oct 17 @ Georgia TBD
Sat, Oct 24 @ Vanderbilt TBD
Thu, Nov 5 vs Mississippi State 8:00 PM
Sat, Nov 14 vs BYU TBD
Sat, Nov 21 vs Tennessee TBD
Fri, Nov 27 @ Arkansas 1:30 PM

NickM - what do you think ? where will they lose ?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Georgia will continue to own their soul. That will make 3 losses in 4 years I believe. Nick Chub is going to run all over them. Perhaps they can muster enough offense in short bursts when given the chance. The plan will be to keep Mauk and their high octane offense on the sideline with a running game.

Florida has a much better coach now. There needs to be more games to see if certain teams have gotten better. In fact, playing Florida and Georgia back to back will be tough.

Mississippi State has their star quarterback, but most of last years offense is otherwise gone. Time will tell, again. Some coaches look better than they are with an all star quarterback. Like Harbaugh at Michigan. His record without Andrew Luck under center? Not so good.

Tennessee does not impress me either. As Spurrier said, some schools are happy to hit 7 wins.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In other news, I wonder how that seat is for Charlie Strong after being humiliated by Notre Dame on national TV.....

Washington State, a mediocre team on a good day, lost to Portland State. Yes, that is a real team. Stanford lost to Northwestern in a battle of the nerds. UCLA picked up where they left off, dangerous. After one game with a new quarterback, they could be the real deal. USC and UCLA are both better than Oregon.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How's their D?

ASU had 2.2 ypc, but the NCAA counts a sack as a rushing attempt. The box score has the QB with 15 attempts at 0 yards and a long of 19. Let me know if you can make sense of the box score.

ASU was not getting anything done when I checked in.

The rankings got more laughable. Tennessee moved up after giving up 30 at home to Bowling Green in a comfortable win. Yet Northwestern did not after beating ranked Stanford. TCU dropped a spot, but needs to drop about 10 spots.

A&M moved up 11 spots.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is why they play the game. If you want a good handicapper, Phil Steele is the best.

PJ, this was tongue in cheek.

How about them Buckeyes? That was without 3 starters on offense and the best defensive linemen in America. Va Tech was 48-3 at home against non-conference opponents.

Michigan State and Oregon is the game of intrigue for me this week. There is a lot of pre-conference cream puff match ups to pay smaller in state schools going on this week. Despite Michigan State having a solid defense, I look for a lot of points from both teams early in the season.

I probably won't watch Bama with Middle Tennessee State. If U-verse has it somewhere on an ESPN/SEC network then I will record and skip through.

Notre Dame has Virginia. We will see about Notre Dame, Virginia and UCLA with this one.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
PJ, this was tongue in cheek.

How about them Buckeyes? That was without 3 starters on offense and the best defensive linemen in America. Va Tech was 48-3 at home against non-conference opponents.

Michigan State and Oregon is the game of intrigue for me this week. There is a lot of pre-conference cream puff match ups to pay smaller in state schools going on this week. Despite Michigan State having a solid defense, I look for a lot of points from both teams early in the season.

I probably won't watch Bama with Middle Tennessee State. If U-verse has it somewhere on an ESPN/SEC network then I will record and skip through.

Notre Dame has Virginia. We will see about Notre Dame, Virginia and UCLA with this one.

so phil steele is no good, i remember jimmy the greek. i will watch more college football this season and as a result i'll learn more about this year's teams and match ups. i love rooting for a team that wins 9 to 11 games guaranteed - although most winning programs have some easy opponents early season and conference -

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
so phil steele is no good,

What? He is about the best. Needing to gamble was the tongue in cheek sarcasm. I don't bet on sports, horses, whatever. If I did, I sure would not bet on college sports.

Luke Duke last year in basketball. 3rd in the ACC, maybe 10th best overall, but they won 6 in a row and are tournament champions. Do you really want to be on kids?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tennessee-Oklahoma is a game ESPN is promoting. It is a statement game for the Vols. Not. The Vols are 1-27 in their last 28 games against ranked teams.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Auburn is in trouble against the powerful Jackson State Junior College Annex...something like that. Anyway, they're having trouble running and their qb just threw a second pick to set up a State drive to take the lead 20-13 with 5:31 left to go, Tiger ball in decent position around the 30 yrd line.

Edit: big running play has Auburn driving just outside the thirty yrd line of State.

Auburn drives inside the ten and fumbles it to State with 3:06 left in the game. :plain:

Auburn ties it up, then kicks badly but it looks like it's going to OT.

State should have taken the time it had to take shots at getting in fg range. They decided to play extra minutes and lost by seven. That's what happens when you fail to be bold in that position.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What? He is about the best. Needing to gamble was the tongue in cheek sarcasm. I don't bet on sports, horses, whatever. If I did, I sure would not bet on college sports.

Luke Duke last year in basketball. 3rd in the ACC, maybe 10th best overall, but they won 6 in a row and are tournament champions. Do you really want to be on kids?

nope, i don't bet or gamble except lottery, which they tell us ALL GOES to the kids and education in MO -