Baltimore...a question of time

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Why has Gray's police record been leaked to the public, but the circumstances under which he met his death while being was detained by the Baltimore police has remained a closely guarded secret?

According to the FBI, Maryland ranks 6th for the number of “justifiable homicides” by law enforcement (which does not include all deaths at the hands of police).

Less than 2% (2 cases) of the 109 people who died in police encounters in Maryland between 2010-2014 resulted in crimminal charges.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Why has Gray's police record been leaked to the public, but the circumstances under which he met his death while being was detained by the Baltimore police has remained a closely guarded secret?

Because medical records are private, his injury was only found out about because of a lawsuit that stemmed from his injuries. Lawsuits are public record. Medical records aren't.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Report: Baltimore Mayor Ordered Police To Stand Down And 'Let Them Loot'

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
welfare parasites????
The Believers Share Their Possessions (Acts 4:31-35)

31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.

33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all

34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales

35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

Quetzal

The act of rioting in and of itself is violent. I prefer that no one gets shot either, however, what action do you believe would work to stop the rioting?
I did like the idea of non-lethal rounds. Beanbag rounds or rubber bullets. Anything that can be used as crowd control without significant risk of permanent injury or death would be appropriate.

Lon

From what I have seen, the rioters make up a minority. Many larger groups of people have condemned the riots and they do not garner public support
Kind of like a dumping of tea in the Boston Harbor. They should have dressed like Indians. Now if we can just get them to attack the police tea supply... ...Beer supply? :think:

How does the color of your skin determine your patience?
:idunno: I don't even know where we'd start to authenticate or combat that.

If this is true, it undermines the entire case.
It'd be great if they were as organized and as purposeful as the Sons of Liberty.
Am I expecting too much? (I may be aiming too high)

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
A recent report from the ACLU of Maryland found that at least 109 people died in police encounters in Maryland from 2010 to 2014.

Freddie Gray’s death — which came after his spinal cord was severed when he was in police custody — has become the latest national symbol of brutal policing in African-American communities, and has called particular attention to the poor relations between police and residents in Baltimore. Gray’s funeral sparked riots in Baltimore last night .

In a major investigation last year, the Baltimore Sun reported that the city has paid out $5.7 million since 2011 to settle police brutality cases. In many cases, charges were never even brought.

For instance in 2012, Anthony Anderson died of internal trauma after police tackled him, claiming that they saw him engage in a drug deal. Even after a medical examiner ruled that the death was a homicide as a result of being tackled, the local prosecutor declined to bring charges.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/04/28/balltimore-freddie-gray-prosecute/
The sad reality is that when the "black community" seeks peaceful ways to address these problems, they are effectively ignored.

Even a finding by the medical examiner that a death was a homicide, as a result of being tackled by the police, wasn't enough to convince the local prosecutor to bring charges.

It is only when they resort to violence that the "white community" even acknowledges these concerns.

Quetzal

Kind of like a dumping of tea in the Boston Harbor. They should have dressed like Indians. Now if we can just get them to attack the police tea supply... ...Beer supply? :think:
I think it is safe to say that these two events in history are a bit too different to compare.

Lon

I think it is safe to say that these two events in history are a bit too different to compare.
No. They both are regarding doing something about injustice, so the overall is the same concern.

However, it might be closer to the Civil War in application. There is a lot more similar going on in politics and communities to that era and confrontation.

Quetzal

No. They both are regarding doing something about injustice, so the overall is the same concern.

However, it might be closer to the Civil War in application. There is a lot more similar going on in politics and communities to that era and confrontation.
Well, if you make the topic that broad, you are correct. In fact, almost any conflict can be attributed to "injustice" from the perspective of at least one of the participants. Otherwise, there wouldn't be conflict.

whitestone

it is time to look at police unions

I know let's form a union of the different states!,,let's set together a contract of sorts to guarantee the certain rights of the peoples in the "union",lets call it the Constitution or the bill of rights or something and then in about 239 years or so we'll back up and see if it's working.,,,oop's maybe this might backfire.