Author of the epistle to the Hebrews.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I don't know how you are reading. You have been twisting the scripture to justify your corrupt faith.

Are you claiming to be holy too?
Do you know that Jesus Christ rose from the dead on the 3rd day? There was more than what He said while alive. Jesus appeared to ALL the apostles after He rose the 3rd day. Jesus told Paul to write a new gospel for people like you and me, Gentiles, not just the Jews like He WAS teaching. You refuse to find out what Jesus told Paul, therefore you are NOT saved. Have fun in hell meshak !!!

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Good day, Meshak.

thanks.

So you are ashamed to be exposed of your wicked faith and rightfully so.

Truster is the most egoistic and self-righteous one in this forum. He is a blasphemer claiming to be holy.

And you are supporter of him, seems to be claiming to holy too.

the title of "holiness" belongs to only God and Jesus.

Your refusal to answer my question proves it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
thanks.

So you are ashamed to be exposed of your wicked faith and rightfully so.

Truster is the most egoistic and self-righteous one in this forum. He is a blasphemer claiming to be holy.

And you are supporter of him, seems to be claiming to holy too.

the title of "holiness" belongs to only God and Jesus.

Your refusal to answer my question proves it.
Lol.

I'm giving you a taste of your own medicine.

Good day.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Do you know that Jesus Christ rose from the dead on the 3rd day? There was more than what He said while alive. Jesus appeared to ALL the apostles after He rose the 3rd day. Jesus told Paul to write a new gospel for people like you and me, Gentiles, not just the Jews like He WAS teaching. You refuse to find out what Jesus told Paul, therefore you are NOT saved. Have fun in hell meshak !!!

blah, blah, blah.

Empty barking, pj.

daqq

Most assuredly your list of Paul's epistles make certain which epistles he put his name on

Does II Thes 3:17 say

a. if I wrote it, it will always start with my name or have my name in it

b. my name is a token that I wrote it in every situation without exception

God authored all scripture, He alone is the sole author of all scripture, II Timothy 3:16

Every word, every letter, every jot and tittle.

Did God author the book of Esther? God is not named once in the book of Esther. Are you going to conclude that God did not author the book of Esther?

The record of Peter cutting the ear of a man, does every gospel name who that was? No, not every gospel, in fact only in John is he named as the one. Why? John is supposedly written down last chronologically. Had the danger passed, thus he could be named?

There are documents, notes, whatever that you have written that do not have your name on it. Ie, grocery lists... Is that proof that you have not written them? that someone else wrote them?

Most assuredly your list of Paul's epistles make certain which epistles he put his name on, but your verse from Thessalonians do not put it in the absolute.

Also, in 2Thes 3:17, Paul is speaking of "the salutation" which comes at the end if his epistles. It is apparent from the long salutation at the end of Romans that this is indeed what he is speaking about in 2 Thes 3:17. We read in the salutation at the close of the Epistle to the Romans that one named Tertius wrote the epistle, and therefore, it seems rather apparent that Paul likely wrote the salutation himself, in his own hand:

2 Thessalonians 3:17 KJV
17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

The "Salutation" at close of the Epistle to the Romans is a full chapter:

Romans 16:1-27 KJV
1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
4 Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.
5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.
6 Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.
7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
8 Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord.
9 Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
10 Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.
11 Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.
12 Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.
13 Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.
14 Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them.
15 Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them.
16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
21 Timotheus my workfellow, and Lucius, and Jason, and Sosipater, my kinsmen, salute you.
I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord.
23 Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother.
24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

Tertius apparently wrote the body of the epistle as Paul dictated to him; thus implying that Tertius was Paul's scribe. Paul himself would have therefore written the salutation in the final chapter of Romans, as quoted above, (except for the short salutation from Tertius who wrote the body of the epistle, (or perhaps Tertius wrote the whole epistle in this instance because Paul's purported eye troubles had become too problematic)). Either way this appears to be just as Paul says, in 2Thes 3:17, which he says he does in all his epistles, that is, Paul himself writes "the salutation" section at the close of his epistles with his own hand.

daqq

This seems very intriguing to me:

Hebrews 13:22
22 παρακαλω δε υμας αδελφοι ανεχεσθε του λογου της παρακλησεως και γαρ δια βραχεων επεστειλα υμιν

It can easily be read this way:

Hebrews 13:22
22 But I exhort you, brethren, bear with the word of the exhortation: for I have also written unto you by way of Bracheon ("the little"? as in Paulos "the little"??).

:idunno:

G1024 βραχύς, εῖα, ύ
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: brachus
Phonetic Spelling: (brakh-ooce')
Short Definition: short, little
Definition: short, little, few.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 1024: βραχύς
βραχύς, βραχεια, βραχύ, short, small, little (from Pindar, Herodotus, Thucydides down);
http://biblehub.com/greek/1024.htm

G3972 Παῦλος, ου, ὁ
Of Latin origin; (little; but remotely from a derivative of pauo, meaning the same);
Paulus, the name of a Roman and of an apostle -- Paul, Paulus
http://biblehub.com/greek/3972.htm

The language in Chapter 13 doesn't match the rest of the epistle, and was obviously an addendum by a different author.

Perhaps not a different author but a different hand . . .
And according to my previous post above that makes sense, (to me, lol). :)

Hawkins

convoluted: extremely complex and difficult to follow.
I'm sure there is a much simpler and more "logical" conclusion concerning Hebrews.

From the language, the author was someone of authority and highly respected by the Jewish community.
Paul was not "highly respected by the Jewish community".

Not necessarily. Paul is a student of one of the most famous Pharisees back then. Paul has some conflict with the Jews converts inside the churches in Minor Asia area. For example, the letter to Galatians is against the Jews coming from Galatia and Babylon, instead of the Hebrew speaking Jews from Jerusalem. In Philippi, the Jews against him are from Thrace. They are not necessarily Hebrew speakers or even Hellenistic.

Some of the leaders inside Sanhedrin may dislike him after his conversion. It by no means says that he has a lesser reputation than Peter (the Sanhedrin hates Peter more) among the Hebrew speaking Jews. Paul is the only apostle who is a Pharisee. Pharisees have reputations among the Hebrew speaking Jews, especially someone like Paul whose teacher represents one of the two schools of Pharisaic thoughts.

oatmeal

Also, in 2Thes 3:17, Paul is speaking of "the salutation" which comes at the end if his epistles. It is apparent from the long salutation at the end of Romans that this is indeed what he is speaking about in 2 Thes 3:17. We read in the salutation at the close of the Epistle to the Romans that one named Tertius wrote the epistle, and therefore, it seems rather apparent that Paul likely wrote the salutation himself, in his own hand:

2 Thessalonians 3:17 KJV
17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

The "Salutation" at close of the Epistle to the Romans is a full chapter:

Romans 16:1-27 KJV
1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
4 Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.
5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.
6 Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.
7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
8 Greet Amplias my beloved in the Lord.
9 Salute Urbane, our helper in Christ, and Stachys my beloved.
10 Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.
11 Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.
12 Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.
13 Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.
14 Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them.
15 Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them.
16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
21 Timotheus my workfellow, and Lucius, and Jason, and Sosipater, my kinsmen, salute you.
I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord.
23 Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother.
24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

Tertius apparently wrote the body of the epistle as Paul dictated to him; thus implying that Tertius was Paul's scribe. Paul himself would have therefore written the salutation in the final chapter of Romans, as quoted above, (except for the short salutation from Tertius who wrote the body of the epistle, (or perhaps Tertius wrote the whole epistle in this instance because Paul's purported eye troubles had become too problematic)). Either way this appears to be just as Paul says, in 2Thes 3:17, which he says he does in all his epistles, that is, Paul himself writes "the salutation" section at the close of his epistles with his own hand.

Whether Paul literally wrote down the epistles with his own quill and ink is an interesting question. Certainly Paul did dictate to Tertius as is clearly indicated. Galatians was evidently put down on paper with Paul's own hand, Galatians 6:11. In either case it was Paul who received it "by the revelation of Jesus Christ"