Author of the epistle to the Hebrews.

Truster

I shall be posting verses that point to Paul being the author of most if not all of this epistle.

If anyone has unfounded opinions please keep them. If anyone can produce scriptures proving Paul is not the author or proof of authorship of someone else, please share the texts.

The most blatantly obvious is Paul mentions being in bonds, being freed from bonds and returned to them and referring to Timothy as brother.

In order:

Hebrews 10:34 13:19 13:23

!0:34

For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.

For ye had compassion of me in my bonds; for ye sympathized in my bonds, &c., is a proof of both kinds of their sufferings forementioned. As to their suffering with others, he instanceth in himself, as a witness of it; for when he was in bonds for preaching the gospel, both at Jerusalem, Acts 21:33,37 22:24,25, at Cesarea, Acts 23:1-24:27, at Rome, Acts 28:1-31, they forewarned him of his danger, bore his burden with him, supplied, relieved him, and endeavoured, what in them lay, his release.

And took joyfully the spoiling of your goods; and in their own sufferings, by being rifled for the gospel; their goods, estates, and means of subsistence, were either by fines, confiscations, or violence, ravished from them; their enemies, like so many harpies, preying on them, 1 Thessalonians 2:14. So as these Christian Hebrews at this time had their respective properties, and all was not levelled among them. Though they were so impoverished to make them comply with the Gentile superstition and idolatry, yet they cheerfully bore it, esteeming it their honour and privilege thus to suffer for Christ, and herein obeyed him, as Matthew 5:11,12, and as the apostles did before them, in Acts 5:41.

Knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance; they were fully assured of this by faith in God’s promise, and by God’s work on their own hearts, qualifying and fitting them for it, Romans 8:15-17. That they have by promise given them as theirs, as fitted for them, a spiritual substance, an estate beyond what this world could afford them; riches, honours, and pleasures, better for their quality than all terrene ones; spiritual ones, proper for their souls, 1 Peter 1:3,4. The sum of which is God in Christ, their exceeding great reward, Genesis 15:1, and all he can be to or do for them. He is their portion and their inheritance, the most excellent in itself, and the most enduring, out of the reach of men or devils, who can neither take it from them, nor them from it, it is safe enough in the heavens, Matthew 6:19,20 19:28,29 Psa 16:5 2 Corinthians 5:1 2 Thessalonians 1:4,5. (MP)

Truster

Hebrews 13:19 KJV

But I beseech you the rather to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

He is the more urging and pressing them to the exercise of this duty more fervently, instantly, and abundantly, at this time, that they might prevail with God to remove hinderances by his enemies, freeing him from his chain and restraint at Rome, and to speed his liberty for a return to them, that it might be in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel. So the church prayed for Peter, and prevailed, Acts 12:12, and he had hopes that God would hear them for him also, Philemon 1:22. (MP)

Truster

Hebrews 13:23 KJV

Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.

He acquaints them with the good news of his dismissing Timothy to them, to acquaint them how it fared with him, as he dismissed and sent Tychicus to the Colossians, Colossians 4:7,8, Epaphroditus to the Philippians, Philippians 2:25,28, as he intended to have sent Timothy with them, Hebrews 13:19,23,24, but he stopped him to see the issue of his appearance before Nero Caesar; which being over, he despatched him with an account of it to these Hebrews, and the rest of the churches, and signifieth his purpose, that if he quickly returns from them again, then he would visit them together with him. That the word apolelumenov noteth, or signifieth, the dismission of a person about business, is seen, Acts 13:3. To which interpretation the subscription of the Epistle inclines; and the Scripture is silent of any troubles or restraint of Timothy at all, Philippians 2:19,20. (MP)

Truster

Peter gives witness that Paul wrote to the Hebrews in his 2nd epistle. Peter was writing to the Hebrews that had been scattered or despised.

2 Peter 3:15,

15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
And account; reckon with yourselves, and be confidently persuaded; or take for granted.

The longsuffering of our Lord; viz. in his not yet coming to judgment, and bearing with so much sin in the world without presently punishing it.

Is salvation; i.e. tends or conduceth to salvation, in that hereby he gives space for repentance to the elect unconverted, and alloweth time for the building up and perfecting those that are converted, 2 Peter 3:9.

Even as our beloved brother Paul; not only brother in Christ, as a saint, but in office, as an apostle.

According to the wisdom given unto him; that eminent and profound knowledge in the mysteries of the gospel in which Paul did excel, 1 Corinthians 2:6,7 Eph 3:3,4. Peter makes such honourable mention of Paul:

1. That he might commend to the Jewish Christians the doctrine Paul had preached, though a minister of the uncircumcision;

2. To show that he had nothing the worse thoughts of him for being so sharply reproved by him, Galatians 2:1-21; and:

3. That he might arm the saints against those heretics that abused Paul’s writings, and wrested them to their own meaning, probably, to patronize their errors.

Hath written unto you; unto you Jewish believers, viz. either:

1. In his Epistle to the Romans, Romans 2:4, where is a passage very like this: or:

2. In his Epistle to the Hebrews, which, though it were not entitled to the Jews of the dispersion, yet was written to their nation; and in that Epistle several places there are of the same purport with this here; {see Hebrews 9:28 10:23,25,36,37} and other Epistle of Paul to the Jews we have none: and in this he shows much of that wisdom God gave him in the mystery of the gospel; and in this likewise are many things hard to be understood.

beameup

Romans 1:1 …....first word = Paul
1 Corinthians 1:1 first word = Paul
2 Corinthians 1:1 first word = Paul
Galatians 1:1 …first word = Paul
Ephesians 1:1 ..first word = Paul
Philippians 1:1 first word = Paul
Colossians 1:1 first word = Paul
1 Thessalonians 1:1 first word = Paul
2 Thessalonians 1:1 first word = Paul
1 Timothy 1:1 …first word = Paul
2 Timothy 1:1 …first word = Paul
Titus 1:1 ……first word = Paul
Philemon 1:1 first word = Paul
Hebrews 1:1 first word = God

Truster

It has been suggested that because of the persecutions and hatred directed at Paul by the unconverted Jews. He purposely left his mane out of the epistle. Otherwise those persecutors would have destroyed it. This was the belief of the early church fathers, as they are so called.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We have Paul's own statement about his epistles.

2 Thessalonians 3:17 KJV
(17) The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

The leading verses in his epistles .........

Romans 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

1 Corinthians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2 Corinthians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Galatians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

Ephesians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

Colossians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,

1 Thessalonians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Timothy 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

2 Timothy 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Titus 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

Philemon 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,

In the entire book of Hebrews ....... the name of Paul shows up ZERO times.

Truster

We have Paul's own statement about his epistles.

2 Thessalonians 3:17 KJV
(17) The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

The leading verses in his epistles .........

Romans 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

1 Corinthians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2 Corinthians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Galatians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

Ephesians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

Colossians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,

1 Thessalonians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Timothy 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

2 Timothy 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Titus 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

Philemon 1:1 KJV
(1) Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,

In the entire book of Hebrews ....... the name of Paul shows up ZERO times.

I repeat:

It has been suggested that because of the persecutions and hatred directed at Paul by the unconverted Jews. He purposely left his mane out of the epistle. Otherwise those persecutors would have destroyed it. This was the belief of the early church fathers, as they are so called.

Truster

POOLE:

THE ARGUMENT

Some few Greek copies not having the name of the apostle Paul
prefixed to this Epistle, though most of them have, hath made many doubt
concerning the writer of it, as others, especially heretics, of its authority.

The conjectures of those who ascribe it to Barnabas, Luke, or Clemens,
&c. seem groundless; since the character the Holy Ghost gives of its
penman, and his state, in Heb 10:34, and Heb 13:19,23, is not agreeable to
any of them.

This is most certain, that the apostle Paul did write such an
Epistle; that it was well known to the dispersed churches of Christ then;
that it was abused by men of corrupt minds, as it is at this day, since the
Spirit gives us undeniable testimony of it in 2Pe 3:15,16. That this Epistle
should be it, (when it is so like the rest of his writings; when it is strongly
confirming the truth the apostle Peter had written to them, Heb 6:2
10:26,27; when it is so expressive of his condition in bonds, Heb 10:34
13:19 Col 4:18, of his known companion Timothy, Heb 13:23 Col 1:1, of
his love to, and concern for, those to whom he writes, Ro 9:1-3 10:1, and
of his known doctrine, that Judaism had its completion in Christianity; that
the veil was rent asunder, that they might discern the temple or church to
be laid open to Gentiles as well as Jews, as at Antioch, Galatia, &c., he
tanght them; besides, that it hath the signal by which he declareth all his
Epistles are to be known, Heb 13:25, compare 2Th 3:17,18, and the
general consent of the church through the successive ages of it, entitling of
him to it), I say, that this Epistle should be it, seems not difficult to
determine.

It is conjectured that the reason why he prefixed not his name
to it, as to the rest of his Epistles, was, lest the great prejudice the Jews had
causelessly taken up against him, as an enemy to the Mosaical law, would
prevent their reading or weighing of it as they ought. It is directed by him
to the dispersed tribes of believing Israel, under the name of Hebrews,
being the common one of all the posterity of Heber by Abraham, both
which patriarchs were great separatists from the idolatrous world in their
respective ages, and in whose families the church of God was continued; a
name grateful to them, because the Lord honoured it by adding it to his
title, Ex 3:18, and ascribed it to their progenitor, Ge 14:13, of a natural
descent from whom they were most fond, Joh 8:33 2Co 11:22.

And the apostle Peter confirmeth these to be the persons, 1Pe 1:1,2; compare 2Pe
1:1 3:15. Written this was in the Greek language, as his other Epistles, it
being then the most diffusive dialect in the world, and especially the
common one of these Hebrews, Ac 6:1, as Josephus himself testifieth;
though the Greek idioms themselves, and the translation of other words in
the Epistle, show it abundantly. For the time of his writing it to them, most
likely it was after his appearing before the emperor Nero at Rome, 2Ti
4:16,17, during his liberty, Ac 28:30, upon Timothy’s dismission to them,
Heb 13:23, and before the first of the ten bloody persecutions, Heb 12:4,
about the same year wherein he despatched other of his Epistles to the
churches.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I repeat:

It has been suggested that because of the persecutions and hatred directed at Paul by the unconverted Jews. He purposely left his mane out of the epistle. Otherwise those persecutors would have destroyed it.
What kinda bothers me is that you think this makes good sense, especially considering the boldness of Paul, even unto death.
Not to mention that the unconverted Jews would have wanted to destroy all his epistles, so if your logic follows, then Paul would have been leery to put his name on any of them.
And then there is the problem with aligning this with your other posts suggesting that it's obvious Paul did write it by the context of it. If he's going to write it in a way that makes it obvious that it's from him ..... then why leave off his name?

To me this argument is extremely weak and overtly speculative.

Truster

What kinda bothers me is that you think this makes good sense, especially considering the boldness of Paul, even unto death.
Not to mention that the unconverted Jews would have wanted to destroy all his epistles, so if your logic follows, then Paul would have been leery to put his name on any of them.
And then there is the problem with aligning this with your other posts suggesting that it's obvious Paul did write it by the context of it. If he's going to write it in a way that makes it obvious that it's from him ..... then why leave off his name?

To me this argument is extremely weak and overtly speculative.

Actually it's not my logic it's historical data.

I'm not particularly bothered except that I like to know the truth about these things. I have an open mind and I wish to share what it is I've found and I'm looking into. This thread is for informative purposes only and isn't really for people who have already made up or closed their minds.

beameup

It's a sermon, the kind that would be preached in a synagogue (except for the last chapter, obviously not the original author).
It's also written in a very "aristocratic" form of Koine Greek, and stands alone in the N.T. in this respect.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually it's not my logic
I know the logic did not originate in you. It was the logic you presented.

I'm not particularly bothered except that I like to know the truth about these things. I have an open mind and I wish to share what it is I've found and I'm looking into. This thread is for informative purposes only and isn't really for people who have already made up or closed their minds.
I agree.
One cannot be closed minded about it, for in the end, no matter what each side presents, none of it will be concrete evidence.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hebrews 2:3 KJV
(3) How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

This verse refers to the author as having heard what was spoken by Jesus from those that heard Jesus during His earthly ministry.
This description doesn't seem to fit Paul, who tells us that he heard his revelation NOT from any men, nor did he seek the apostles that had been with Jesus :AMR1: , but from the risen Lord Himself.
:e4e:

Epoisses

Dispensationalists need a different author for Hebrews so they can support their unholy separation gospel heresy. With two peoples and two plans and ethnic Jews being saved without Christ. Were Peter, Paul, James and John saved without Christ? lol

daqq

This seems very intriguing to me:

Hebrews 13:22
22 παρακαλω δε υμας αδελφοι ανεχεσθε του λογου της παρακλησεως και γαρ δια βραχεων επεστειλα υμιν

It can easily be read this way:

22 But I exhort you, brethren, bear with the word of the exhortation: for I have also written unto you by way of Bracheon ("the little"? as in Paulos "the little"??).

:idunno:

G1024 βραχύς, εῖα, ύ
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: brachus
Phonetic Spelling: (brakh-ooce')
Short Definition: short, little
Definition: short, little, few.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 1024: βραχύς
βραχύς, βραχεια, βραχύ, short, small, little (from Pindar, Herodotus, Thucydides down);
http://biblehub.com/greek/1024.htm

G3972 Παῦλος, ου, ὁ
Of Latin origin; (little; but remotely from a derivative of pauo, meaning the same);
Paulus, the name of a Roman and of an apostle -- Paul, Paulus
http://biblehub.com/greek/3972.htm

beameup

This seems very intriguing to me:

22 παρακαλω δε υμας αδελφοι ανεχεσθε του λογου της παρακλησεως και γαρ δια βραχεων επεστειλα υμιν

It can easily be read this way:

22 But I exhort you, brethren, bear with the word of the exhortation: for I have also written unto you by way of Bracheon ("the little"? as in Paulos "the little"??).

:idunno:

The language in Chapter 13 doesn't match the rest of the epistle, and was obviously an addendum by a different author.

SaulToPaul 2

Dispensationalists need a different author for Hebrews so they can support their unholy separation gospel heresy. With two peoples and two plans and ethnic Jews being saved without Christ. Were Peter, Paul, James and John saved without Christ? lol

:chuckle: