ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

themuzicman

Well, you guys are having a good time attacking the integrity of God and defending your right to sin. I'll back out and let you guys dig your hole as deep as you wont it.:devil:

Lacking the Scriptural and logical foundation from which to actually support his view, E4E runs away.. again.

Muz

elected4ever

Lacking the Scriptural and logical foundation from which to actually support his view, E4E runs away.. again.

Muz
You are without the foundation to stand on. You reject the most basic truth so why should i run. I just let you condemn yourself without objection.:execute:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Huh? Oh course he did. One week prior, he couldn't do it. After his mother started working with him showing him the mechanics, he eventually learned how. How is it you say he didn't learn it?
Because he was preprogrammed to know on that day. There is no learning involved. Just programming.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Because he was preprogrammed to know on that day. There is no learning involved. Just programming.

This is such a common error and unacceptable accusation made against Calvinism.

Only the philosophical concept of fatalism is formed bereft of any epistemological basis.

Calvinism is a theology that incorporates and stands upon the strongest form of epistemology.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
This is such a common error and unacceptable accusation made against Calvinism.

Only the philosophical concept of fatalism is formed bereft of any epistemological basis.

Calvinism is a theology that incorporates and stands upon the strongest form of epistemology.
:squint:

dale

Of course he would know how to tie his shoes. But he never actually learned how to, for it was preordained before he even existed that he would know how to tie his shoes by 3p today.

Huh? Oh course he did. One week prior, he couldn't do it. After his mother started working with him showing him the mechanics, he eventually learned how. How is it you say he didn't learn it?

How is it that you say him being preordained negates the process that brought him there? If someone is preordained to be born on a particular day, I'm pretty sure his mother would remember "the process!"

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The puppet analogy is flawed and limited. It wrongly assumes that we are like puppets rather than free moral agents. Even in determinism, I am not sure the analogy is being fair in all aspects (compatibilism talks about our choices being influenced by desires we cannot chose).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The puppet analogy is flawed and limited. It wrongly assumes that we are like puppets rather than free moral agents. Even in determinism, I am not sure the analogy is being fair in all aspects (compatibilism talks about our choices being influenced by desires we cannot chose).
That's why I like to view the issue in the two following possibilities.....

- The Settled View - All events for all of time have been settled (determined) in advance.
- The Open View - Not all events have been settled (determined) in advance.

If you don't view the disagreement in the above way dozens of tricky, confusing, unnecessarily distracting sub-arguments arise. (i.e., compatibilism)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's why I like to view the issue in the two following possibilities.....

- The Settled View - All events for all of time have been settled (determined) in advance.
- The Open View - Not all events have been settled (determined) in advance.

If you don't view the disagreement in the above way dozens of tricky, confusing, unnecessarily distracting sub-arguments arise. (i.e., compatibilism)
How do you see compatibilism obviated by your statement for the settled view above?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How do you see compatibilism obviated by your statement for the settled view above?
In a truly settled past, present and future, compatibilism is an illusion.

Calvinists like to throw out the word compatibilism like some sort of spot remover. They think that by merely uttering the word it will make their contradictory, unbiblical theology sound reasonable.

How can 2+4 equal 4 and also equal 5 at the same time??? Compatibilism!!!

:doh:

Wow!!! Compatibilism!! It's brilliant! It's easy to use! And it's lemony scented!

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In a truly settled past, present and future, compatibilism is an illusion.

Calvinists like to throw out the word compatibilism like some sort of spot remover. They think that by merely uttering the word it will make their contradictory, unbiblical theology sound reasonable.

How can 2+4 equal 4 and also equal 5 at the same time??? Compatibilism!!!

:doh:

Wow!!! Compatibilism!! It's brilliant! It's easy to use! And it's lemony scented!
Never mind. :dizzy:

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Without going into exhaustive detail, my inclination is that incompatibilistic, libertarian freedom will win the day over confusing compatibilism. If you tweak hyper-sovereignty, you can retain genuine freedom. If you retain hyper-sovereignty, you must water-down genuine freedom. The way to have our cake and eat it to (not to mention resolve the sovereignty vs free will tension) is to have a right understanding of sovereignty and freedom. The two motif theme (God settles some vs all of history) also is part of the solution.

I still maintain that an omnicompetent God simply does not need to be omnicausal to be sovereign over the universe (He could have been a settled God/method, but the evidence is that He chose otherwise to preserve love, relationship, and freedom..is that a bad thing? No. Is it risk-free? No. Will there be victory in the end? Yes).

Status
Not open for further replies.