Answering old threads thread

Arthur Brain

I think he's speaking of this:
1 Corinthians 7:6 (KJV) But I speak this by permission, [and] not of commandment. The question would follow as to which of the preceding verses it applies. Surely it doesn't apply to vs 5, making it merely a suggestion not to defraud one's spouse. Can you imagine Paul saying, "God says it's ok to defraud your spouse, but I don't think it's a good idea."
Can you imagine Paul saying that it's a good idea for a husband to force his unwilling wife into sex?

"Defraud"? Wow, the lengths some of you lot go to to justify this garbage...

Derf

Ironic that you talk about my wanting to impose stuff on everyone else when I'm categorically against the notion of husbands having the right to force themselves on their wives. There's also the law that I didn't set that considers rape a crime including in marriage so hey...
But is that law correct? Or are you willing to accept any law on the books? What if your city council decided to punish someone caught in adultery with death?

Arthur Brain

But is that law correct? Or are you willing to accept any law on the books? What if your city council decided to punish someone caught in adultery with death? FBbfb
Rape is indefensible so of course it is. That was easy. Some wingnuts on here advocate that adultery should be a capital crime and via stoning so of course not. There'd be no way any council would even go near that so kinda moot.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I think he's speaking of this:
1 Corinthians 7:6 (KJV) But I speak this by permission, [and] not of commandment. The question would follow as to which of the preceding verses it applies. Surely it doesn't apply to vs 5, making it merely a suggestion not to defraud one's spouse. Can you imagine Paul saying, "God says it's ok to defraud your spouse, but I don't think it's a good idea."
I always read that in the context of all of Corinthians 7, in which his greater advice is to abstain from entering into marriage altogether, ie abstain from marriage if you can, and if you can't follow these guidelines.

I often consider this with Moses allowing divorce and Jesus's commentary on it

Arthur Brain

You still haven't explained why your garbage is any better than Paul's.
Paul doesn't advocate or defend what you're positing anyway. So that's once again moot.

Simple really Derf. If you love and cherish someone then you don't force yourself on them and you also don't try and reason some twisted way to justify doing so either.

Derf

I always read that in the context of all of Corinthians 7, in which his greater advice is to abstain from entering into marriage altogether, ie abstain from marriage if you can, and if you can't follow these guidelines.

I often consider this with Moses allowing divorce and Jesus's commentary on it
David stopped having sex with Michal after she derided his dancing. Was he right or wrong?

Arthur Brain

Prove it. Surely you have a bible. If not, go to blb.org. They have several versions to pick from.
Prove what? How Paul doesn't condone a husband forcing himself on his wife or even allude to that being okay in a loving marriage? Are you kidding me?

Hoping

Banned
David stopped having sex with Michal after she derided his dancing. Was he right or wrong?
David was a man who walked in the flesh.
(Walking in the Spirit wasn't widely available till the resurrection of Christ.)
His decision was based on the flesh.
The answer to your question, however, is "wrong", in either testament.

If a husband resorts to forced sex, he too is walking in the flesh.
He needs to be converted to Christianity, which is based on love in the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Derf

David was a man who walked in the flesh.
(Walking in the Spirit wasn't widely available till the resurrection of Christ.)
His decision was based on the flesh.
The answer to your question, however, is "wrong", in either testament.

If a husband resorts to forced sex, he too is walking in the flesh.
He needs to be converted to Christianity, which is based on love in the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Why would a husband ever need to resort to forced sex?

Hoping

Banned
Why would a husband ever need to resort to forced sex?
A husband that walks in the flesh is capable of every imaginable wickedness.
It is far better to marry someone that walks in the Spirit.
That brings to mind 1 Cor 7:39..."The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord."

Derf

A husband that walks in the flesh is capable of every imaginable wickedness.
It is far better to marry someone that walks in the Spirit.
That brings to mind 1 Cor 7:39..."The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord."
You didn't answer my question. If he's "resorting" to forced sex, then he must have tried other things already.

Are you suggesting the wife should first cause her husband to "resort" to forced sex, then kill him so she can remarry? That's a weird take on that scripture.

Hoping

Banned
You didn't answer my question.
I'm sure there is at least a short list of reasons, but all of them are based on the flesh.
It would be non-Christian behavior.
If he's "resorting" to forced sex, then he must have tried other things already.
Who knows?
Are you suggesting the wife should first cause her husband to "resort" to forced sex, then kill him so she can remarry? That's a weird take on that scripture.
LOL.
Not at all.
I recommend you get some rest and come back to this tomorrow if it is so important to you to find a reason to force anyone to have sex.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ironic that you talk about my wanting to impose stuff on everyone else when I'm categorically against the notion of husbands having the right to force themselves on their wives. There's also the law that I didn't set that considers rape a crime including in marriage so hey...

Yep, unfortunately it’s not a DP offense as all rape should be.