Aging, What I have learned and know...

meshak

BANNED
Banned
  • Some rely on "others" without realizing it they do.
  • For some families it's like a drop.
  • Some families show up only when there's a crisis, like the reading of the will.
  • There are those who are very loyal to their loved one(s) in the nursing home, some will be their once a day like I was for my mom; and others maybe a couple times a day.
We are there because of our love for Jesus and our love for the resident's.

The important thing for us, Mrs Psalmist and me, is that we're faithful to call and loyal to those who we serve, those living on the edge of eternity, the infirm/blind/halt/lame/terminal etc. I couldn't think of us doing any else for the Lord.

The retirement/healthcare (nursing home) center where we serve is about 200 independent resident's and about 100 nursing home resident's.

American society seems rely on someone else to take care of the family. They don't live close to their family so when someone get in predicament or difficulty they expect someone else to take care of them.

It is so cold and sad.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
American society seems rely on someone else to take care of the family. They don't live close to their family so when someone get in predicament or difficulty they expect someone else to take care of them.

It is so cold and sad.
We already know the cold and sad parts of aging and the nursing home ministry; we also the cold hard facts of slow progressive health issues that slowly let the life ebb away.

With some of family and friends look at you differently, they are less social and more distant.

The one who benefits the most between us is Mrs Psalmist, her bible study friends as well as those she well acquainted with at the nursing home, are very attentive to her, and for that I'm thankful.

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Thanks to Henry Ford for breaking up the American family.

Instead of staying put and letting the family stay together and grow through the years, Ford invented the mass production of automobiles. People left their families in droves and started new ones elsewhere.

A page was turned....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A little lighter observation on aging. When you're a kid you wake up sore and know why...an all day basket ball pick up game, skiing with friends, digging a sock well. From 40 on morning's are a game of Clue. Did I hurt my back in the garden with the hoe? Was it in the kitchen with a wrench? Or maybe you just got up too quickly...man. :)

glorydaz

Believe me I hear you! Thank God for my children!

Amen. The older I get the more I think of this...

Psalm 127:3-5
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.​

PureX

It's odd, but the less I care about life, as I get older, the more at peace with it I am. And the more I actually enjoy it.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We're moving, this should and experience.

No more apartment.

Still drive.

Don't work.

Still I'm useful to the Lord.

rougueone

I wouldn't put any money into it
if
I were a used car

Problem is we are used car's. Very valuable cars to the devious government and Health care Cartels. Once the car stall's and cannot speak for itself it is towed to a nursing home. Where the value just jumped by a 1000 % dailey.
Have a living will directive. And someone you trust, to insure your directives are obeyed. Other wise the living will often ' disappear" as the life sustaining machines are wheeled into your room.

brinny

Nursing home ministry, or visiting a nursing home for is no easy task.

We (Mrs Psalmist and me) are fortunate to have the opportunity to serve, learn and grow in the nursing home ministry.

Bless yer hearts, God bless both of you.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Problem is we are used car's. Very valuable cars to the devious government and Health care Cartels. Once the car stall's and cannot speak for itself it is towed to a nursing home. Where the value just jumped by a 1000 % dailey.
Have a living will directive. And someone you trust, to insure your directives are obeyed. Other wise the living will often ' disappear" as the life sustaining machines are wheeled into your room.
The car still runs great and it is probably the last one we bought. I'll drive as long as I can.

I know nothing of the healthcare cartels, we been in the nursing home ministry for over 36 years.

yes, we have our advance directives and final disposition taken care of.