A missing link.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
In 2012 over ten thousand people died as the result of drunk drivers in this country. In that same year 8,855 people died from firearms.

Both figures have been declining over the past several years.

...And both figures are the result of irresponsible or criminal use of an inanimate, amoral machine.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I remember how shocked I was at the headlines.

Drunk driver drove into school after assembly and mowed down 18 pupils and 3 teachers.

13 injured after Chinese man drives car with makeshift-explosives into students

A man in northern China rammed a car loaded with a gas tank and firecrackers into a group of middle schoolers, injuring 13 in the country's latest attack on students.

The man attempted to set off an explosion after running down 23 students at Fengning No. 1 Middle School in northern China's Hebei province on Monday, the official Xinhua News Agency said. The man is in police custody.

Huckleberry

I read this yesterday and you came immediately to mind:

''But Paul had other sorts of women, who knew not the way of Adonay, nor the pardon of sin , nor the Spirits work on the soul. These were empty, insolent, tyrannical, bold, daring and imperious women that would teach and usurp authority over men''.
What blessing to A4T to have one such as you curse her.

Good for you, Angel! :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What blessing to A4T to have one such as you curse her.

Good for you, Angel! :thumb:
Sort of agreed...on the one hand it is and on the other, well, it's like being the one black guy a Klansman singled out to underscore his problem, unintentionally. :plain:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I read this yesterday and you came immediately to mind:

''But Paul had other sorts of women, who knew not the way of Adonay, nor the pardon of sin , nor the Spirits work on the soul. These were empty, insolent, tyrannical, bold, daring and imperious women that would teach and usurp authority over men''.

Wow, what a coincidence! I read what you said there, and suddenly this came to mind :

Matthew 23:27-28
27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. 28 So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness

squareciscool

Do you think Americans will ever understand the link between lots of people owning guns and lots of people being shot dead?

Every year in the U.S., an average of more than 100,000 people are shot, according to The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence.

Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady Campaign reports.

Between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns -- more than the population of St. Louis, Mo. (318,069), Pittsburgh (307,484), Cincinnati, Ohio (296,223), Newark, N.J. (277,540), and Orlando, Fla. (243,195) (sources: CDF, U.S. Census; CDC)

One person is killed by a firearm every 17 minutes, 87 people are killed during an average day, and 609 are killed every week. (source: CDC)
Having read through the previous replies, I thought I'd start with a simple "yes." Americans seem to be well aware of the link between gun ownership and gun deaths. Your logic in assuming that taking guns away from law-abiding citizens will result in any significant change in the number of deaths from murder or suicide seems to me to be flawed. When people want to kill someone else, they will find a way to kill them. When someone wants to kill themselves, they will find a way to die. Accidental death from guns can and should be prevented by educating children in the proper way to handle guns and by keeping them out of reach when the children are too young to understand how to safely handle them. I know that it works, my parents used this method and so do I.

Yes, guns can be deadly in the wrong hands but if you take them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens, the only hands that hold them will be the wrong hands.

Truster

Having read through the previous replies, I thought I'd start with a simple "yes." Americans seem to be well aware of the link between gun ownership and gun deaths. Your logic in assuming that taking guns away from law-abiding citizens will result in any significant change in the number of deaths from murder or suicide seems to me to be flawed. When people want to kill someone else, they will find a way to kill them. When someone wants to kill themselves, they will find a way to die. Accidental death from guns can and should be prevented by educating children in the proper way to handle guns and by keeping them out of reach when the children are too young to understand how to safely handle them. I know that it works, my parents used this method and so do I.

Yes, guns can be deadly in the wrong hands but if you take them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens, the only hands that hold them will be the wrong hands.

Your reading and reasoning ability seems flawed. I haven't said that guns should be taken away from ''law abiding citizens'' in fact I have stated in post 22 that I didn't expect any change.
I would never have said such a thing because I don't believe anyone is law abiding in spirit so you have attributed words to me that I would never use.

squareciscool

Your reading and reasoning ability seems flawed. I haven't said that guns should be taken away from ''law abiding citizens'' in fact I have stated in post 22 that I didn't expect any change.
I would never have said such a thing because I don't believe anyone is law abiding in spirit so you have attributed words to me that I would never use.
My apologies, I apparently missed that part. I am interested in what you would expect to happen if Americans follow your reasoning in this respect? And why don't you believe that anyone is law-abiding?

Truster

My apologies, I apparently missed that part. I am interested in what you would expect to happen if Americans follow your reasoning in this respect? And why don't you believe that anyone is law-abiding?

The law is spiritual and must be obeyed in spirit and that means in thought, word and deed. There is only one man who has done this and that is why He received the witness from on high, '' "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased." and later, ''While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him''.

oatmeal

Do you think Americans will ever understand the link between lots of people owning guns and lots of people being shot dead?

Every year in the U.S., an average of more than 100,000 people are shot, according to The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence.

Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady Campaign reports.

Between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns -- more than the population of St. Louis, Mo. (318,069), Pittsburgh (307,484), Cincinnati, Ohio (296,223), Newark, N.J. (277,540), and Orlando, Fla. (243,195) (sources: CDF, U.S. Census; CDC)

One person is killed by a firearm every 17 minutes, 87 people are killed during an average day, and 609 are killed every week. (source: CDC)

What those statistics don't tell you is as at least important than what they don't tell you.

The vast majority of those crimes occur in places like inner city of Chicago where gun control is rampant and very few law abiding citizens can get them if any.

The gun crimes there are committed by people who have guns illegally.

In areas were legal guns abound and the majority of law abiding citizens keep and bear them, the gun crime incidents are less than in England, putting the lack of gun crime in England to shame.

It is safer for law abiding citizens to own them than not to own them.

And the more the merrier.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I once noted a missing link at a Denny's. Really burned my biscuit, I can tell you. :mmph:

Else, Truster lives on an island. All sorts of simple solutions are easier there.

squareciscool

Do you just make an outward show of loving your children? Or do you love them in thought, word and deed?
I think that you misunderstood exactly what I disagree with. I do not agree with your conclusion because I do not believe in the source from which you draw that conclusion.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I think that you misunderstood exactly what I disagree with. I do not agree with your conclusion because I do not believe in the source from which you draw that conclusion.

You don't believe Truster has a rectum?!?! :noway:

Truster

That's understandable. Truth is much like a parachute. It only functions when it has been opened and that is the office of the Holy Spirit.