There is no Hell

Aimiel

CherubRam,

You posted:

I spend my time and money on knowing the bible. It gives my life meaning and purpose.

To which I replied:

Then your god is in your head. If you were to seek and search for God with all of your heart, then you would find Him. He promised:

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

But, alas, you only want to know 'about' Him. Yes: even knowing every single thing which He has revealed is completely meaningless if you don't know Him. You don't. You need to turn your heart to Him, not your own knowledge. You are on the throne of your life, not God. Your idol is your own thoughts, not The One True God. He can give meaning and purpose that you haven't yet imagined. His Gifts are endless.

... to which you replied:

You guys certainly are self-righteous and judgmental. You hardly know what is in the actual scriptures, and yet you want to do the teaching. Don't you know that it is a sin to join Paganism to your Holy Father?

I don't believe that I'm anything more than the Emperor-for-life of sinners. I'm the lowest of the low. I only want you to realize the same. If you were to repent of your self-righteousness, you'd find that you wouldn't see so many self-righteous people around you. You need to seek God, not knowledge 'about' God. All that does is swell your head with self-love.

CherubRam

CherubRam,

I don't believe that I'm anything more than the Emperor-for-life of sinners. I'm the lowest of the low. I only want you to realize the same. If you were to repent of your self-righteousness, you'd find that you wouldn't see so many self-righteous people around you. You need to seek God, not knowledge 'about' God. All that does is swell your head with self-love.

When you are done attacking me, then perhaps you can find some time to think about what I wrote.

CherubRam

The word "fire" and any such related term is being used as a parable to mean "judgment."

Matthew 13
10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

For this people’s heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.

Matthew 13:34
Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.

Mark 4:34
He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.

Daniel1611

Lake of fire is parabolic for a body of people judged unfavorably. Lake = Body of people. Fire = Judgment.

Says who? You just make up this interpretation and we are to take it as established fact? The doctrine of hell is under attack for the same reasons all other Christian doctrine is under attack. Because CINO's, Christians in Name Only, are afraid because they believe not the truth.

Cruciform

The word "fire" and any such related term is being used as a parable to mean "judgment."
Unfortunately for your assumptions, the Bible itself nowhere states that the word "fire" is a "parable." Certainly none of the texts quoted in your post says any such thing. Please cite the biblical text in which it is stated that "the word 'fire' is a 'parable'."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Damian

His works were cited as evidence that Roman Catholics must believe that the pope is always right no matter what because he is the pope. But that's because people generally ignore his later work where he, albeit succinctly, addresses head on the limitations on infallibility and the pope's authority.

Are you suggesting that Cruciform does not fully appreciate the limitations on papal infallibility and authority?

Damian

I haven't seen that Spitfire has ever suggested any such thing. Example? :think:

I believe Spitfire views your "brain on papal encyclicals" (the Catholic equivalent of the Protestant's "brain on sola scriptura").

See post 7.

(Don't take it too badly. She doesn't have a very high opinion of me either. It's just her way. She really doesn't like anyone.)

Last edited:

CherubRam

If the Lake of Fire were symbolic, then why state that humans would be tormented for ever and ever in The Holy Scriptures? God doesn't lie. His Word is Truth. You need to buy a clue.

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

where do bad folks go when they die?

they dont go to heaven where angels fly,,

they go to a lake of fire and fry,,

wont see'em again till the 4th of July.

Says who? You just make up this interpretation and we are to take it as established fact? The doctrine of hell is under attack for the same reasons all other Christian doctrine is under attack. Because CINO's, Christians in Name Only, are afraid because they believe not the truth.

Unfortunately for your assumptions, the Bible itself nowhere states that the word "fire" is a "parable." Certainly none of the texts quoted in your post says any such thing. Please cite the biblical text in which it is stated that "the word 'fire' is a 'parable'."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Psalm 78:21
When the LORD heard them, he was furious; his fire broke out against Jacob, and his wrath rose against Israel,

Psalm 79:5
How long, LORD? Will you be angry forever? How long will your jealousy burn like fire?

Psalm 89:46
How long, LORD? Will you hide yourself forever? How long will your wrath burn like fire?

Psalm 104:4
He makes spirits his messengers, flames of fire his servants.

Isaiah 4:4
The Lord will wash away the filth of the women of Zion; he will cleanse the bloodstains from Jerusalem by a spirit of judgment and a spirit of fire.

Isaiah 66:15
See, the LORD is coming with fire, and his chariots are like a whirlwind; he will bring down his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

Isaiah 66:16
For with fire and with his sword the LORD will execute judgment on all people, and many will be those slain by the LORD.

Deuteronomy 32:22.
For a fire has been kindled by my wrath,
one that burns to the realm of sheol below. (Sheol is Hebrew for grave.)

Amos 7:4
This is what the Sovereign LORD showed me: The Sovereign LORD was calling for judgment by fire; it dried up the great deep and devoured the land.

Hebrews 10:27
but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

2 Peter 3:7
By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

oatmeal

What story did Theophilus write?

Acts is addressed to those who love God, theophilus.

It is neither a name or a title, but a general description of the addressees of the book of Acts as authored by God and written down by Luke.

CherubRam

It is neither a name or a title, but a general description of the addressees of the book of Acts as authored by God and written down by Luke.

Theophilus.

Luke 1:3
With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,

..., I also decided to write an orderly account for you.
Most excellent, Theophilus.

Acts 1:1
In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach...

In my former book, I Theophilus wrote about all that Yahshua began to do and to teach...

Theophilus wrote "The Rich Man and Lazarus."

Ben Masada

I disagree with you Oatmeal. If Luke was referring to an adjective upon those who love God, he would have spelled theophilus as you do above, but it is only obvious that he addressed his book to a person called Theophilus as he capitalizes the initial letter of the name.

Ben Masada

Capitals had not yet been invented.

Okay, that point of mine was weak but if you focus on Luke 1:3, Luke dedicated his two books, the gospel and the Acts of the Apostles to a man called Theophilus which was a common name in the Greek world. That's a testimony given by the Catholic encyclopedia and in the preface to the gospel of Luke in NAB.