Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I am not a lone ranger. I attend a congregation, I fellowship with other believers, but I also stand for truth, logic, and reasoning when it comes to doctrine.

Soul sleep lacks reasoning, when a body dies so does the soul, it does not posses life again until the resurrection. Resurrection and not rapture by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

I asked what kind of church and you told me what you USED to be, what kind of church do you attend, will you be honest this time?

way 2 go

Please look up the definition of eternal... Your statement makes less sense that ultra-Darwinism.
look up the word run there are 179 definitions for that word

eternal = everlasting, ceaseless, endless

The fact that you don't know if I am or not shows how little you know about soteriology; however, I will help ease your mind. No, I am not talking about universal salvation. I am talking about universal justification to life, meaning what Christ did on the cross ensured that all men would have their life renewed after death.

still sounds like you are talking universal salvation

Let me ask you a question though. Is God the Savior of all men?

all who believe

Rom 3:22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe.

Yes it is, which means that all those who have died are still dead...

human soul survives without the body

Luk 16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
Luk 16:24 And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.'

I am glad you brought this verse up. There are many questions you have to answer to correctly interpret this verse.

First, what is the lake of fire? Is it a literal lake or is it a symbol for something else?
physical place

Second, If the torment is for eternity why does it use "day and night"?
24/7

Do you not know that there will be no night or day and no need for the sun and moon in heaven because the lamb, Jesus Christ will be the light thereof? (Revelation 21:23)

in heaven

Third, How long is forever?
everlasting, ceaseless, endless

Can you add any more time to forever by adding an additional ever? The correct translation should be for ages and ages: or, to the age of ages.
forever and ever is fine just like everlasting, ceaseless, endless

You have been severely brainwashed by "Orthodox" Christianity. Why don't you use the brain that God gave you for logic and reasoning?
so far you are the one coming up empty

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Not hard to have more empathy and compassion than people who insist that others deserve to rot in pain for eternity

:plain:
Christians have empathy and compassion the same as every person (normal people), we love as much as any non Christian does. Christians are not trying to "brainwash" anybody, we're trying to share the truth about Jesus Christ and what His name means. In the end, every unbeliever and believer alike will confess Jesus Christ as Lord and every knee shall bow.

Pilippians 2:10-11 KJV - That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
It's a doctrine, not 'reality' and if you think love represents eternal torment then check where you're residing at right now. You're hardly the most empathetic of people on here as it is.

I dont interpret how they interpret perish. I am a Christian too.

Unfortunately, that kind of belief is the majority of Christians. So many are applauding and cheering her.

Arthur Brain

Christians have empathy and compassion the same as every person (normal people), we love as much as any non Christian does. Christians are not trying to "brainwash" anybody, we're trying to share the truth about Jesus Christ and what His name means. In the end, every unbeliever and believer alike will confess Jesus Christ as Lord and every knee shall bow.

Pilippians 2:10-11 KJV - [FONT=&]That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;[/FONT][FONT=&]11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.[/FONT]

I'm not arguing that the majority don't. I'm referring to the zealous types who not only promote their belief in interminable suffering of non believers, 'heretics' etc but even bask in a gleeful anticipation of other people's pain under a guise of 'self righteousness'. Some of the most callous, selfish and flippant attitudes have been aired on here with certain zealots wishing "hell" on people or how they can't wait to see folk 'burning' etc. There's no love in that.

Not sure why you're bringing the above verses into this exactly, unless you believe that all non believers are carted off to a fiery pit or something after acknowledging there's a God?

marhig

Those born of God shouldn't want to see anyone burn in lakes of fire, we should have hope for everyone. And hope that they might be reconciled to God with the hope of eternal life not eternal death. And by the love of God, we should be hoping to pull them out of the fire through Christ, not push them in and warm our hands watching with glee!

Look at this in Jude 1

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
God's INFINITE LOVE.......

God's INFINITE LOVE.......

Yes, it is pure insanity.

ECT
(down the tubes).

Just revisiting this thread with my blog-link on ECT above and extended commentaries for those interested. I still find it boggling that many still believe in ECT, talk about 'cognitive dissonance' with a God who is all loving and merciful.

Blog Portal on ECT here.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Just revisiting this thread with my blog-link on ECT above and extended commentaries for those interested. I still find it boggling that many still believe in ECT, talk about 'cognitive dissonance' with a God who is all loving and merciful.

Blog Portal on ECT here.

Why care about the ECT? What reason should I care about them, I ask you?

Aimiel

And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: and the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

You can pretend that ECT doesn't exist all you want: God doesn't lie. He said that torment never ceases.

rstrats

Aimiel,

re: "You can pretend that ECT doesn't exist all you want: God doesn't lie. He said that torment never ceases."

I don't see where that scripture says that. What do you have in mind?