Offensive words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Your premise is wrong. Words that are created to offend aren't saying the same thing as words that aren't. They may refer to the same object, but the nature of the reference is different, the aim and impact. There's nothing inherently illogical about understanding that.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Honky is just a word for a country person, or local, although is has some derogatory meaning when said by someone who is urban, or is cases non-white. Being termed 'the poor rural white folks.

Crackers are a type of self secluding folks who dislike strangers coming around, or modern way of living. Not too many crackers around, as there was in the 1940s to 1960s.

If you remember "The Dukes of Hazard" show, Boss Hog was a pecker-wood, while the sheriff and many of the cast played just good ole country people, rednecks, or honky, take your pick.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I was raised with "sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you" as a common playground chant - adults and children alike were taught that words carried only that weight that you gave them, that if they were intended to offend, they were best ignored

the modern playground chant is "sticks and stones will break your bones but words have the power to do real lasting damage to your psyche, your emotional balance and your psychological well-being, and thus need to be regulated by the state"

and so, we have nick sandmann, whose offense was not even words, but a smile :kookoo:

thanks for nothing liberal/progressives :wave2:

TrumpTrainCA

BANNED
Banned
Honky is just a word for a country person, or local, although is has some derogatory meaning when said by someone who is urban, or is cases non-white. Being termed 'the poor rural white folks.

Crackers are a type of self secluding folks who dislike strangers coming around, or modern way of living. Not too many crackers around, as there was in the 1940s to 1960s.

If you remember "The Dukes of Hazard" show, Boss Hog was a pecker-wood, while the sheriff and many of the cast played just good ole country people, rednecks, or honky, take your pick.

And yet with all that I can't call a crackhead gangbanger a nig**** ? Seems odd.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I want to discuss WHY society has deemed certain words as "offensive" when those words mean exactly the same things as "unoffensive" words.

I think it comes down to the fact that ever since there have been two human beings, Adam and Eve, there's always been differences between any two entities.

Differences (can) lead to discrimination; discrimination, hate; hate, offensive words to express one's hatred of someone who is different from oneself.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And yet with all that I can't call a crackhead gangbanger a nig**** ? Seems odd.
You absolutely can. In fact, you should do that and get back to us on how it turns out.

Or more seriously, there's no white equivalent for the N-bomb. Probably because we weren't, in the history of this country, property, generationally dehumanized and denied essential human right. And that word that is tied into that experience, went hand in hand with it.

glorydaz

Your premise is wrong. Words that are created to offend aren't saying the same thing as words that aren't. They may refer to the same object, but the nature of the reference is different, the aim and impact. There's nothing inherently illogical about understanding that.

Who says any words were created to offend? Words are most often created to be descriptive....niger/black for instance. Fag used to be a cigarette, now it is a slur. What's illogical is trying to make people bow to what is simply politically correct at any particular time.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
I commented to Ok Doser in another thread on a very similar topic, excerpt:
The First Amendment doesn't invoke any authority, that's what the freedom of speech and of the press means, nobody can tell you with valid authority that how you're expressing yourself is wrong; if anybody could, then we wouldn't possess the inalienable right to free speech, but we do possess that inalienable right.

Why can't I just say the R word and all the -ubar words? This, I ask to the famous "some undefined person somewhere, somewhen" that you named. Their answer? Crickets. It's made up, by the people who are pointing fingers. If they didn't point fingers, this wouldn't be so R word. And ironically if they weren't so R word, they Wouldn't Point Fingers.

To your point.
My friend once told me that when you see art that evokes a deep feeling within you, even if it's negative, that's a sign of good art; that's what art is supposed to do. Therefore I think that using these words that you mention, and other words, ought to be seen instead of as obscenity or disrespect, as a literally art form, since clearly they do evoke deep feelings in some people when they read or hear them. Just think of yourself as an artist when you use them. People just don't get art sometimes.

ok doser

I like that you deal with reality instead of fantasy land where all the little sheeple are just supposed to say baaa and just blindly follow along with some high horse rider that decides to create a list of words he could deem as offensive if used by anyone.

Seems retarded, doesn't it?

genuineoriginal

If I am with some folks at my house and I look out the window and say .......

"Who is that cracker walking down the street?"

or

"Who is that white guy walking down the street?"

they all ... mean the exact same thing ----- that Caucasian walking down the street?
"Cracker" means a person that whips slaves and comes from "cracking the whip".
If you make the assumption that "cracker" means "white guy" then you are saying that every "white guy" a cruel slaver.

Fag used to be a cigarette, now it is a slur.
"Fag" is short for "faggot", which is a bundle of twigs and sticks.
Blank+_e048bde1715cecbbc6a1a2e282af413d.png

Cigarettes are called "fags" because the tobacco in them looks a lot like a bundle of twigs and sticks.
"Faggot" also refers to what happens when a person is burned at the stake: the person is tied to a stake, bundles of twigs and sticks (faggots) are placed around the base of the stake and set on fire.
Calling a person a "fag" or "faggot" is telling that person that you think they should be burned at the stake.

Some words are intentionally offensive.

ok doser

"Cracker" means a person that whips slaves and comes from "cracking the whip".
If you make the assumption that "cracker" means "white guy" then you are saying that every "white guy" a cruel slaver.

i've heard that proposed, but prefer the origin as coming from those poor white trash who were too poor to buy store bought flour - they "cracked" their own corn to make meal/flour

ok doser

Yeah.
I don't know why so many folks want to play along and keep adding more and more and more words to the list (as if it actually does anything of importance).
I think they just like creating more division instead of unity.

i think they like assuming the mantle of moral superiority and bossing around those who they believe need it/deserve it

i like to mock people like that :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.