How old is the earth?

How old is the earth?

• The earth is under 10,000 years old

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • The earth is somewhere in-between the above options

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • None of the above options (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Jefferson said:
And your evidence is?
OMG, do I need to educate you?

There's overwhelming evidence the Earth is billions of years old.

There's NO evidence it's only 10,000 years old.

eisenreich

Jefferson said:
And your evidence is?
Young-earth creationists believe that evolutionists are obviously lying and falsifying their data to suit their athestic worldview. Evolutionists get frustrated when unqualified creationists try to disprove an old earth because a book says otherwise. Back and forth it goes..

Jefferson, bob b, any other YEC:
I think a much more convincing argument from your side would be to find a neutral scientist (and by neutral I mean somelike like a Buddist who has no ties to Abrahamic religions) that supports a young earth (<10,000 years). Because a Buddhist scientist could be impartial as to the actual evidence, his opinion would hold more weight.

CapnFungi

Omega3 said:
I'm sorry, but all you young-earth folks are crazy.

This planet is billions of years old.

LMAO.

I also would like to see your empirical evidence to support such a wild assumption.

Chosen by God

BANNED by Knight
Banned
Frank Ernest said:
My, my! A left-winger accusing a right-winger of letting politics drive his Scriptural interpretation. :shocked: Pot calls Kettle black. News! :darwinsm:

Is that a left-wing POV? :chuckle:

Is Genesis a parable? If you believe so, then declare this parable unto us!

My politics comes from scripture I don't bring it to scripture. Jesus was a radical left winger. He wasn't bringing a tax break for the rich, In fact He said there was no way the rich could enter into His kingdom unless they gave all thier money to the poor..

I don't think it is a parable but I don't think its purpose is to teach us the age of the earth. I think it is just a story that tells us the brief history of Gods relationship with man. It has must know information such as; there is a God and you are not him. He made everything and gave stewardship of earth to man. Man must take care of it or God will punish him. Man must obey God. Don't pay any attention to your wife when she tries to make you eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Try to focus on what's there not what you think should be there.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chosen by God said:
My politics comes from scripture I don't bring it to scripture. Jesus was a radical left winger.
No.
He wasn't bringing a tax break for the rich, In fact He said there was no way the rich could enter into His kingdom unless they gave all thier money to the poor..
Not even close to correct. Jesus recognized that, money had become God to that guy. That is way different from demanding that every one give all their money to the poor! Jesus afirmed property rights. Eve here of " thou shall not steal?
I don't think it is a parable but I don't think its purpose is to teach us the age of the earth. I think it is just a story that tells us the brief history of Gods relationship with man. It has must know information such as; there is a God and you are not him. He made everything and gave stewardship of earth to man. Man must take care of it or God will punish him. Man must obey God. Don't pay any attention to your wife when she tries to make you eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Try to focus on what's there not what you think should be there.

CapnFungi

You know. Even though I am YEC. This really isn't a salvation issue. So my question is, why is it (age of the earth) debated so much?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chosen by God said:
, In fact He said there was no way the rich could enter into His kingdom unless they gave all thier money to the poor..
(emphasis mine)

Please site the scripture reference where Jesus said this.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CapnFungi said:
You know. Even though I am YEC. This really isn't a salvation issue. So my question is, why is it (age of the earth) debated so much?
Because if people believe part of the Bible is not true...

eisenreich

CapnFungi said:
If you hold that the earth is billions of years old, Genesis becomes metaphor. If 'The Fall of Man' and original sin is merely part of a parable, what need did Jesus have to die on the cross?

CapnFungi

eisenreich said:
If you hold that the earth is billions of years old, Genesis becomes metaphor. If 'The Fall of Man' and original sin is merely part of a parable, what need did Jesus have to die on the cross?

You don't even know what to believe. You're agnostic.
So why do you care?

eisenreich

CapnFungi said:
If I could define my one word title, it would read:
Secular Humanist Agnostic (though for strictly deistic purposes)

Are you implying that a born-again Christian who has never cracked a Bible knows more about his religion that an atheist who has spent years researching the history, source languages, and traditions of Christianity? It is possible for non-believers to have an opinion on the Bible.

CapnFungi said:
So why do you care?
You asked a question.

CapnFungi

eisenreich said:
Are you implying that a born-again Christian who has never cracked a Bible knows more about his religion that an atheist who has spent years researching the history, source languages, and traditions of Christianity?

I'm not sure who this so called born-again christian who has never cracked a bible is.

Are you implying that I have never even looked at a bible and that I know absolutely nothing about it?

Tell be Propeht Wise&Right what else about me do you assume without having any knowledge of?

eisenreich

CapnFungi said:
I'm not sure who this so called born-again christian who has never cracked a bible is.

Are you implying that I have never even looked at a bible and that I know absolutely nothing about it?

Tell be Propeht Wise&Right what else about me do you assume without having any knowledge of?
This is the second time today you've failed to understand what a hypothetical is (other was here in The Dude's Islam vs. Drugs thread).

A couple posts ago you implied that I lacked knowledge and understanding about theological issues because I labeled myself Agnostic.

CapnFungi said:
At no point did I claim to know anything about you; I was merely asking whether you thought non-theists could ever know more about Christianity than self-proclaimed Christians (like the two 'people' in my hypothetical).

Last edited:

CapnFungi

I know what hypothetical is.
Thanks for making me laugh though.

I enjoy laughin with the truely feeble minded

eisenreich

CapnFungi said:
I know what hypothetical is.
You certainly haven't demonstrated that today.

CapnFungi said:
Thanks for making me laugh though.

I enjoy laughin with the truely feeble minded
Alone time must always be happy hour then! :bannana:

getting back to the topic of the thread...

Young-earth creationists believe that evolutionists are obviously lying and falsifying their data to suit their athestic worldview. Evolutionists get frustrated when unqualified creationists try to disprove an old earth because a book says otherwise. Back and forth it goes..

Jefferson, bob b, any other YEC:
I think a much more convincing argument from your side would be to find a neutral scientist (and by neutral I mean somelike like a Buddist who has no ties to Abrahamic religions) that supports a young earth (<10,000 years). Because a Buddhist scientist could be impartial as to the actual evidence, his opinion would hold more weight.

Last edited:

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
CapnFungi said:
LMAO.

I also would like to see your empirical evidence to support such a wild assumption.
Wild assumption? :nono:

The dinosaurs went extinct 65-million-years ago. If the Earth is only 10,000 years old, where did the dinosaurs live?

Oh that's right... you believe man lived on the Earth with the dinosaurs only a few thousand years ago. Too funny.

Look up the evidence yourself. Not only can you find it everywhere, you can also find it in abundance. (Just not in a book of fables such as the Qur'an and the Bible.)

CapnFungi

Omega3 said:
Wild assumption? :nono:

The dinosaurs went extinct 65-million-years ago. If the Earth is only 10,000 years old, where did the dinosaurs live?

Oh that's right... you believe man lived on the Earth with the dinosaurs only a few thousand years ago. Too funny.

Look up the evidence yourself. Not only can you find it everywhere, you can also find it in abundance. (Just not in a book of fables such as the Qur'an and the Bible.)

I use the same evidence to support creation that you use to support evolution. It just so happens that my worldview doesn't dissolve with all the facts. You still havn't provided me with any evidence..

anyway, i forget you were here 65 billion years ago to see for yourself.