How old is the earth?

How old is the earth?

• The earth is under 10,000 years old

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • The earth is somewhere in-between the above options

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • None of the above options (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
At the risk of revealing my public school education, AGAIN, what definition are you using for the word universe? I'm asking because if there is more than one of them it can't mean this
The offical definition is everything. However, my and a lot of other people's new-age definition of "the" universe is just "our" unverise, which would be all the dark matter and galaxies that weem to be travelling outward from a certain point, apparently where the big bang occured. As new theories emerge and we learn more, we understand that there may be other universes containing matter and energy in this third dimesion but are too far away for us to detect them. There are also other dimensions which "things" (whatever they may be) can "exist."

Delmar said:
There is no center and space is relative but "scientists have already determined the general size and shape of our universe" :think: How does that work, I wonder? Why not?
You're not looking at this in the proper perspective and context. Everything is moving. We know that the centre of our universe seems to be where the big bang took place, but still, that's relative, because that "centre" and the mass surrounding it is all moving too. There is no such thing as a “set” position in empty space.

In any case, like I said, our solar system and cluster of stars we belong to locally are in the outskirts of Milky Way. The Milky Way is in the outskirts of the universe, quite far from where the Big Bang bang apparently took place.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:
The offical definition is everything. However, my and a lot of other people's new-age definition of "the" universe is just "our" unverise, which would be all the dark matter and galaxies that weem to be travelling outward from a certain point, apparently where the big bang occured. As new theories emerge and we learn more, we understand that there may be other universes containing matter and energy in this third dimesion but are too far away for us to detect them. There are also other dimensions which "things" (whatever they may be) can "exist."
Why redefine a perfectly good word?The universe is all that exists in every where in every dimension. We have generally assumed that there is more out there than we are aware of, big deal. So when we discover there is a lot more out there than we are aware of you start trying to sound smart by making 3rd grade arguments. "Oh yeah well I've got ten times infinity!" it's just silly!
You're not looking at this in the proper perspective and context. Everything is moving. We know that the center of our universe seems to be where the big bang took place, but still, that's relative, because that "center" and the mass surrounding it is all moving too. There is no such thing as a “set” position in empty space.

In any case, like I said, our solar system and cluster of stars we belong to locally are in the outskirts of Milky Way. The Milky Way is in the outskirts of the universe, quite far from where the Big Bang bang apparently took place.
OK, I have a confession to make. When I told you we are in the center of the Universe I was yanking your chain. I really don't know. I really don't care!

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
So when we discover there is a lot more out there than we are aware of you start trying to sound smart by making 3rd grade arguments. "Oh yeah well I've got ten times infinity!" it's just silly! OK, I have a confession to make. When I told you we are in the center of the Universe I was yanking your chain. I really don't know. I really don't care!
Huh? Where did I make third grade arguments like "oh yeah we'll I've got ten times infinity? I didn't say I had anything.

You're a strange bunch of folks here at TOL.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:
Huh? Where did I make third grade arguments like "oh yeah we'll I've got ten times infinity? I didn't say I had anything.

You're a strange bunch of folks here at TOL.
Universe = infinity. When you speak of multiple universes you are, in fact, claiming you can multiply infinity. Why are you lumping others in me?

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
Universe = infinity. When you speak of multiple universes you are, in fact, claiming you can multiply infinity. Why are you lumping others in me?
You are clueless when it comes to the physics and math behind this. Look up Stephen Hawking.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:
You are clueless when it comes to the physics and math behind this. Look up Stephen Hawking.

One rule which I always followed in evaluating technical claims, most generally in weapon systems proposals in the Aerospace field, was to carefully examine the underlying assumptions, because if there were any major problems in any proposal that was the area where they were inevitably located.

Carrying this rule over to the field of Origins, it can easily be seen that proposals by people like Hawking are weakest in the assumptions they make. The most glaring of these are at least two: 1) assuming that the Laws of Thermodynamics do not apply to the early universe, and 2) assuming that there are uncountable numbers of "parallel" universes. There are others, but these two should suffice as discussion starters.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps I should add a bit of information for people to "chew on" with regard to the age of the universe (and offhandedly the age of the Earth).

The currently popular "inflationary episode" of the Big Bang is thought to have expanded the early universe by 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times (give or take a few zeros) in the first picosecond, and then stopped, or at least drastically slowed down. If that rate of expansion had lasted just one more picosecond it would have generated a universe of the current size.

I see no fundamental reason that we should not assume this latter scenario, because it results in the identical physical universe as the inflationary Big Bang and matches all known astronomical evidences that are measured today.

It also happens to be compatible with the early Genesis scenario. :rotfl: :rotfl:

truthteller86

Joe Roberts said:
I'd be interested to see who would be hung out to freeze if Enyart really debated Hawking.
Ooh Ooh, would Bob E. get to use his cool voice synthesizer again :D That would :guitar:
Stop defending people who hate Jesus Christ Joe.

PS: Do I have "Streets of Philadelphia" ? It was the title track from the homo movie with Tom Hanks(That I didnt watch yesterday ;) )...I don't remember that one in the collection....I really liked the song...good stuff from The Boss eh.

truthteller86

Real Sorceror said:
Hawking would completely own Enyart(and most anyone else on the planet)
In the robot voic category...you're right, but as to the other issues... :kookoo: You should listen to the show I linked RS....and the follow up show a few days later.... your science hero has some "spacey" ideas huh :chuckle:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
63 years that I know of . . . :dizzy: :rolleyes: :bannana: :noway: :crackup: :wave: :dead: :grave: