How old is the earth?

How old is the earth?

• The earth is under 10,000 years old

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • The earth is somewhere in-between the above options

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • None of the above options (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Berean said:
Sorry Granite that is NOT what I was saying at all. Perhaps you can ask me what I meant instead of assuming an interpretation and telling me what I meant. :chuckle:. What I simple meant is that God placed man here on Earth. We didn't choose to be here and we didn't create the Earth. And if man is the "measure of all things" then we are not setting the standard very high are we. Or for those non-beleivers like youself, man has plenty of things to keep him busy and focused here on Earth.

I'll do that once you people start returning the favor. Sound fair?

And yes, mankind needs plenty of work. So what.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
eisenreich said:
So you accuse him of just guessing and then list a passage that has nothing to do with the position of earth in the Universe..?
You did not read my post correctly. The passage in Luke 17 was in response to the claim that
Omega3 said:
Everybody back then believed that(that the Eath was flat)

The passage implies that some people will be doing daytime activities at the same time others are doing nighttime activities! I am making the claim that Jesus understood the World was not flat!

The Berean

Granite said:
Sure it does. Suppose we encounter another civilization. Your attitude would instantly consider them inferior, as we are the center of "creation." I wasn't even talking human civilization, I was talking another form of intelligent life, period.

Your indifference is typical. Real Philistines, the way you guys strut around and grind things under your heels and simply don't give a damn.
Granite, are you having a bad day? ;) Wow, you know how I would think if we met another civilation? Wow, I didn't know you can read my mind or are empathic. Granite, how often do you think about other civilations? And what is the probability that there are other intelligent civilations out there? We simply don't know. We can't even get along with each other and you want to meet other civilizations? I would think if some civilization was watching us they'd probably wouldn't want to meet us "silly humans".

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Berean said:
Granite, are you having a bad day? ;) Wow, you know how I would think if we met another civilation? Wow, I didn't know you can read my mind or are empathic. Granite, how often do you think about other civilations? And what is the probability that there are other intelligent civilations out there? We simply don't know. We can't even get along with each other and you want to meet other civilizations? I would think if some civilization was watching us they'd probably wouldn't want to meet us "silly humans".

:yawn:

You know I always like it when Christians skate from hypotheticals the minute they're asked a straight question or their stated opinions suddenly strike somebody as reprehensible.

I don't give a good hoot in hell what the probability is, to be honest. I'm trying to apply your written opinion about mankind's special place in the universe with a real-world implication. You're also avoiding giving your own opinion. Cute trick. Convenient, too.

You friggin' people. Impossible to get a straight answer, from any of you, on anything, except for one topic: how and why we should kill other people. Isn't that telling.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
I'll keep that in mind next time he knocks public schools...

Washington Irving invented that myth, didn't he?
That is a very good point! If I had been home schooled I probably wouldn't have had to do any research to show that the writters of the Bible did not believe the Earth was flat! I'm sorry that my public education is showing again!

The Berean

Granite said:
:yawn:

You know I always like it when Christians skate from hypotheticals the minute they're asked a straight question or their stated opinions suddenly strike somebody as reprehensible.

I don't give a good hoot in hell what the probability is, to be honest. I'm trying to apply your written opinion about mankind's special place in the universe with a real-world implication. You're also avoiding giving your own opinion. Cute trick. Convenient, too.

You friggin' people. Impossible to get a straight answer, from any of you, on anything, except for one topic: how and why we should kill other people. Isn't that telling.
Ok, what personal opinion do you want me to express? I have no idea what you are talking about? I simply expressed the belief that God placed mankind here on Earth. And you extrapolated something about killing people from that? Is that the gist of it?

eisenreich

CapnFungi said:
<10,000 years
1. What evidence besides the book of Genesis do you base your claim?

2. Is there any possible evidence that could ever convince you the earth is >10,000 years old?

eisenreich

bar Jonah said:
There should be an option in the poll for <7,000 years, or something.

Personally, I can say with confidence: <6,050 years.
Same two questions that I asked Fungi. Also, why are you so confident in your claim?

1. What evidence besides the book of Genesis do you base your claim?

2. Is there any possible evidence that could ever convince you the earth is >10,000 years old?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Berean said:
Ok, what personal opinion do you want me to express? I have no idea what you are talking about? I simply expressed the belief that God placed mankind here on Earth. And you extrapolated something about killing people from that? Is that the gist of it?

No, not really.

I want to know what you'd feel or what your opinion would be if we were contacted by another intelligent species.

The Berean

Granite said:
No, not really.

I want to know what you'd feel or what your opinion would be if we were contacted by another intelligent species.
It depends. Do they have cool spacecraft? Can I claim "Right of Vengence" if they insult my family (Yes, I'm a geeky Star Trek fan)? A lot would depend on why they came to Earth.

The Graphite

eisenreich said:
Same two questions that I asked Fungi. Also, why are you so confident in your claim?
Here's an article I wrote, myself, for starters. There's a growing plethora of scientific evidences being proffered, which of course you reject out of hand, probably with comments like, "There's no real evidence in support of a young earth, so why do you believe it?" and so on.

But, as I said, this article (which is quite short) is far from comprehensive, but it's a start. It is biblical, and hardly rests on only Genesis.

Presuppositions, Scripture & the Age of Humanity

Personally, I'd love to hear an OEC response to it, more than anything.

The Graphite

Granite said:
No, not really.

I don't know about anyone else, but so long as they weren't threatening, I'd try to establish a relationship with them, and then proceed to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them, as I'm able.

What's the big deal with extra-terrestrial life? I seriously doubt it exists, but if it did, it has no negative repercussions on my theology that I can think of. Who cares?

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
No we are in the center.
Considering scientists have already determined the general size and shape of our universe, I'd like to know what evidence you have to the contrary. There's probably many other universes out there, but still, what makes you think we're in the centre?

We're moving so fast through space in so many different directions. We're on the outer edge of the Milky Way, and that's no theory. Why would the centre of the universe be on the outskirts of one of just billions of galaxies? It doesn't make any logical sense, especially since there is no actual centre, as space is all relative anyway.

And what makes you think god or the gods didn't make life on other planets? I bet some of them are misguided to believe they're at the centre too.

There's probably millions of planets out there with life on them.

This universe can't all be for us.

The Berean

Omega3 said:
Considering scientists have already determined the general size and shape of our universe, I'd like to know what evidence you have to the contrary. There's probably many other universes out there, but still, what makes you think we're in the centre?

We're moving so fast through space in so many different directions. We're on the outer edge of the Milky Way, and that's no theory. Why would the centre of the universe be on the outskirts of one of just billions of galaxies? It doesn't make any logical sense, especially since there is no actual centre, as space is all relative anyway.

And what makes you think god or the gods didn't make life on other planets? I bet some of them are misguided to believe they're at the centre too.

This is an argument from incredulity.

"The universe is so huge! Earth can't possiby have the only life on it!"

Ellie Arroway made the same argument in the novel Contact.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:
Considering scientists have already determined the general size and shape of our universe, I'd like to know what evidence you have to the contrary. There's probably many other universes out there
At the risk of revealing my public school education, AGAIN, what definition are you using for the word universe? I'm asking because if there is more than one of them it can't mean this
"the summation of all matter that exists and the space in which all events occur"

but still, what makes you think we're in the centre?

There is no center and space is relative but "scientists have already determined the general size and shape of our universe" :think: How does that work, I wonder?

Why not?

Real Sorceror

Omega3 said:

Well, here are a lot of other planets and stars. I cant completly dismiss the idea of life on other planets. I cant even dismiss the idea of intelligent life on other planets.

Hmmmm...........alien Jesus?:alien:

Balder

Real Sorceror said:
Well, here are a lot of other planets and stars. I cant completly dismiss the idea of life on other planets. I cant even dismiss the idea of intelligent life on other planets.

Hmmmm...........alien Jesus?:alien:
They'd have to have St. Patty's beer every communion, to represent Xexus' green blood....