How old is the earth?

How old is the earth?

• The earth is under 10,000 years old

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • The earth is somewhere in-between the above options

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • None of the above options (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Re: How old is the earth?

Originally posted by Knight

Is the earth relatively old or relatively young?
I guess that depends what you are comparing the relative age to. Compared to my age, the earth is pretty darn old!

But then again, so are you. ;)

My vote: Under 10,000 years old.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: How old is the earth?

Re: Re: How old is the earth?

Originally posted by Lucky

I guess that depends what you are comparing the relative age to. Compared to my age, the earth is pretty darn old!

But then again, so are you. ;)
Ouch!

:D

ShadowMaid

I think it's under 10,000 years old. I'd try and give you a more exact number, but all that work for just looking it up, it's painful to think about!:eek:

ShadowMaid

Can't find the exact, but go figure. I found a christian site that says the earth is about 6,000 years old.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Bibles cronology of events seems to indicate aproximately 6000 years of Earth history from creation to the present.
Does anyone beleive this statement to be falsifiable?
If so, would the use of extrabiblical evidence be an erronious means of falsifying it?
In other words, if those who hold to the 6000 year old age of the Earth were completely unable to present any physical, verfiable evidence that this was in fact the case, would this present a problem for the Biblical position or is the fact that the Bible seems to indicate this age of the Earth sufficient in and of itself to establish the idea beyond doubt?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Jukia

4.5 billion, with the universe 14 to 16 billion, give or take a few years
and other than the Bible what evidence is there that the earth is less than 10,000 years old? Thanks

Scottb

IT IS, 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. I`am sure, because that is what some college said.

Berean Todd

Originally posted by Scottb

IT IS, 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. I`am sure, because that is what some college said.

:chuckle:

Under 10,000 years old, between 6,000 and 8,000 frankly. As for Clete's question - well, I don't think the scientific evidence will every show or support an earth age of under 10,000 years. However, we can see plenty of evidence that the models they do put forth are complete bunk.

Add that to the incredible evidence for the Bible as the Word of God, and I will put my faith in that which has shown itself to be reliable over the silliness that comes from most of the scientific community.

Frankly, one of the reasons I think the earth shows so much age, is that just as God created Adam fully grown - aged - I believe that He created the earth perfect, and fully developed - aged as it were.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
The Bibles cronology of events seems to indicate aproximately 6000 years of Earth history from creation to the present.
Does anyone beleive this statement to be falsifiable?
If so, would the use of extrabiblical evidence be an erronious means of falsifying it?
I'd suggest verifying rather than falsifying by looking for corraborating evidence.

Isn't it pretty well impossible to falsify a unique event, like creation?

Stratnerd

> Isn't it pretty well impossible to falsify a unique event, like creation?

Some positions I think you can... if you suppose the Earth to be 4.6 billion OR 6000 there should be some things that will falsify one view and corroborate the other. But if you hold the position that Earth was created to look, or worse to be, old then there's no way to falsify it. I do not understand the justification... Adam was made as an adult so they Earth was too? So adult planets are 4.5 billion year old? What standard are they looking at to determine this?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Tye Porter
The evolutionists Bible?
Nothing so insidious, :Tye:. It's merely a conveniently available Internet library that may contain info on topics relevant to the discussion at hand.