How old is the earth?

How old is the earth?

• The earth is under 10,000 years old

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • The earth is somewhere in-between the above options

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • None of the above options (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath

Nothing so insidious, :Tye:. It's merely a conveniently available Internet library that may contain info on topics relevant to the discussion at hand.
So would you characterize "talkorigins" as fallible or infallible?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Knight

So would you characterize "talkorigins" as fallible or infallible?
I haven't read all of it, but based on what I've seen, it's merely a collection of material plus archived Usenet postings, none of which qualifies as "infallible" so far as I know...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I haven't read all of it, but based on what I've seen, it's merely a collection of material plus archived Usenet postings, none of which qualifies as "infallible" so far as I know...
OK.... so how would you determine what IS and what ISN'T fallible at a place like "talkorigins"?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Knight

OK.... so how would you determine what IS and what ISN'T fallible at a place like "talkorigins"?

Since all real science is subject to re-evaluation and change in the light of new data, I've never found anything yet in science that I'd consider "infallible" in the sense I think you mean. Not at Talkorigins.com or anywhere else.

That does not mean that some ideas don't fit the available facts better than others... to determine a ranking or hierarchy I test by looking at whether the idea is supported by correct scientific process and how well it fits the available information. If all else is equal (i.e. the process), then the better fit to the data is the "better" explanation.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Hey, I just found out that Darwin is my God! :bannana:

"Dear Heavenly Charles, forgive them for they know not what they do. And forgive them for they know not much of anything scientific."

brother Willi

Originally posted by BillyBob

"Dear Heavenly Charles, forgive them for they know not what they do. And forgive them for they know not much of anything scientific."

Forgive Billy for thinking sci-fi is fact-fi:D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by BillyBob

That's odd, I thought he was just a dead naturalist...

Of course Tye worships a dead fellow as a deity, so I suppose he assumes everyone else would like to as well. :think:

Tye Porter

Of course Tye worships a dead fellow as a deity
The fact that you believe Jesus Christ is dead explains why you are an atheistic religionist.
Although your belief sounds like another guy here on TOL who calls himself a Christian. :think:

Chileice

I think it is highly likely the earth is at least several million years old, if for no other reason from some geological and astronomical evidence. That being said, none of us was around to see it all get started and anything we say about it will be speculative. I DO believe God created it. How he chose to do that was up to his creative intelligence. And since he left me no SCIENTIFIC record of that creation, I will be content with the poetic version. I presume that if it were really all that important for us to know about he would have given us more info on it. It appears that he was much more concerned with the eternal state of our souls than he is about us knowing the mechanics of creation.

Scottb

Originally posted by Berean Todd

:chuckle:

Under 10,000 years old, between 6,000 and 8,000 frankly. As for Clete's question - well, I don't think the scientific evidence will every show or support an earth age of under 10,000 years. However, we can see plenty of evidence that the models they do put forth are complete bunk.

Add that to the incredible evidence for the Bible as the Word of God, and I will put my faith in that which has shown itself to be reliable over the silliness that comes from most of the scientific community.

Frankly, one of the reasons I think the earth shows so much age, is that just as God created Adam fully grown - aged - I believe that He created the earth perfect, and fully developed - aged as it were.
I was being sarcastic.:thumb:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Tye Porter
The fact that you believe Jesus Christ is dead explains why you are an atheistic religionist.
Well, according to your religious book he was killed by the Romans, wasn't he?

It's just that I find the idea of reanimating 3-day dead corpses to be totally without credible evidence.