How old is the earth?

How old is the earth?

• The earth is under 10,000 years old

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • The earth is around 4.5 billion years old.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • The earth is somewhere in-between the above options

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • None of the above options (explain below)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
CapnFungi said:
I use the same evidence to support creation that you use to support evolution. It just so happens that my worldview doesn't dissolve with all the facts. You still havn't provided me with any evidence..

anyway, i forget you were here 65 billion years ago to see for yourself.
65 million, not billion.

You have no evidence to support creationism. It's all in a fable book.

CapnFungi

Omega3 said:
65 million, not billion.

You have no evidence to support creationism. It's all in a fable book.

WE ARE HERE. Now. Are you going to argue that we are not here?
Explain to me where the information comes from in DNA.

Now to go a step further. Explain to me and give me the empirical evidence that supports your assumption that material created itself out of nothing.

If you believe in Evolution that is your assumption.. Oddly enough it is your conclusion too.

Chosen by God

BANNED by Knight
Banned
Poly said:
(emphasis mine)

Please site the scripture reference where Jesus said this.
19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
19:18
He saith unto him, Which * Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19:19
Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
19:20
The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
19:21
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
19:22
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had * great possessions.
19:23
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
19:24
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Everyone knows that a camel cannot go through the eye of a needle, everyone except the Righteous Right that is. They have to grasp outside of common language for some cultural interpretation about a midgit camel and needle gate some where and somehow in their imagination

Caille

Chosen by God said:
Everyone knows that a camel cannot go through the eye of a needle, everyone except the Righteous Right that is. They have to grasp outside of common language for some cultural interpretation about a midgit camel and needle gate some where and somehow in their imagination

No midget camel.

No needle gate.

Just a hydraulic press.

Of course, it won't look much like a camel when you're done....

One Eyed Jack

Chosen by God said:
19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
19:18
He saith unto him, Which * Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19:19
Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
19:20
The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
19:21
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
19:22
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had * great possessions.
19:23
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
19:24
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

In the Fourth Commandment, how long did God say it took Him to create "the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that in them is?"

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
CapnFungi said:
WE ARE HERE. Now. Are you going to argue that we are not here?
Explain to me where the information comes from in DNA.
Where did I say that we're not here? I think you're seeing things.

CapnFungi said:
Now to go a step further. Explain to me and give me the empirical evidence that supports your assumption that material created itself out of nothing.
Yup, you're seeing things alright. I never said DNA created itself out of nothing. I'm not sure what kicked-off life. Maybe it did it on its own, maybe a god or gods did it, and maybe it was life from another planet.

CapnFungi said:
If you believe in Evolution that is your assumption.. Oddly enough it is your conclusion too.
I think you need to look up the definition of "assumption." You assume a book of fables is correct, when really it was written by primitive humans thousands of years ago that still believed the Earth was flat. They knew jack-all.

Another thing, evolution speaks nothing of what what started life. Evolution only speaks to the processes for which we are what we are today.

If you want to believe god facilitated evolution, then I respect that.

CapnFungi

Omega3 said:
Where did I say that we're not here? I think you're seeing things.

Yup, you're seeing things alright. I never said DNA created itself out of nothing. I'm not sure what kicked-off life. Maybe it did it on its own, maybe a god or gods did it, and maybe it was life from another planet.

I think you need to look up the definition of "assumption." You assume a book of fables is correct, when really it was written by primitive humans thousands of years ago that still believed the Earth was flat. They knew jack-all.

Another thing, evolution speaks nothing of what what started life. Evolution only speaks to the processes for which we are what we are today.

If you want to believe god facilitated evolution, then I respect that.

maybe you need to look at the facts, and stop listening to the lies your teachers tell you.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
CapnFungi said:
You know. Even though I am YEC. This really isn't a salvation issue. So my question is, why is it (age of the earth) debated so much?
All I can determine is that YEC seems to be the sine qua non of arguments against evolution.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
One Eyed Jack said:
In the Fourth Commandment, how long did God say it took Him to create "the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that in them is?"
This it?

Exodus 20:11 "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

eisenreich

Summary of a typical Evolutionist vs. Creationist argument on TOL.

E: The earth is 4.6 billion years old. Here's my proof, which scientists have universally agreed upon.

C: The earth is between 6,000 and 10,000 years young, here's my smoking-gun proof that shows dinosaurs are still alive, shattering the theory of evolution! (which it wouldn't in the first place):

Jefferson said:
(responding to a post alleging dinosaurs died out millions of years ago)
Oh?

From http://www.gennet.org/facts/nessie.html
eisenreich said:
Jefferson.. You're using that? Really?

When AiG says it's time to stop using it as evidence, chances are you're one of a handful on the planet who still believe it.

Letting rotting sharks lie
http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v13/i2/sharks.asp

"Further evidence that the Zuiyo-maru carcass was a basking shark, not a plesiosaur."

YEC's are kind of sad, in a way. When they realize the 'scientific evidence' proving their worldview is nothing but enthusiastic, but ignorant handwaving, they retreat back to the well for another 'fact'. I do have more respect for them, though, than liberal Christians who twist and contort the Bible to align with modern day scientific truths.

Last edited:

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
CapnFungi said:
maybe you need to look at the facts, and stop listening to the lies your teachers tell you.
So, the book of Genesis, a far-fetched fable written by someone who thought the Earth was flat, over-rules all the hard-evidence the scientific community has amassed?

Do we even know who wrote Genesis?

Chosen by God

BANNED by Knight
Banned
Omega3 said:
So, the book of Genesis, a far-fetched fable written by someone who thought the Earth was flat, over-rules all the hard-evidence the scientific community has amassed?

Good point. Here we have a bunch of fools fighting over the words of someone they don't even know, and they are trying to be rational about it. Then they want to rule the world with their emotinal decisions while professng liberty yet practicing tyranny. Yes seperation of church and state is a good idea as long as we cannot agree on what the church is and believes.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:

Flat Earth is not a Biblical concept.

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
Flat Earth is not a Biblical concept.
Yeah, but the Bible was written entirely by people who believed it. They also believe the Earth was the centre of the universe. Hehe.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:
Yeah, but the Bible was written entirely by people who believed it. They also believe the Earth was the centre of the universe. Hehe.
We know that in the time before Columbus the " scientific consensus" was that the world was flat!
Please provide evidence that the writers of the Bible believed the earth was flat. While you are at it provide evidence that our solar system is not the center of the universe.

Omega3

BANNED
Banned
Delmar said:
We know that in the time before Columbus the " scientific consensus" was that the world was flat! Please provide evidence that the writers of the Bible believed the earth was flat.
Everybody back then believed that.

Delmar said:
While you are at it provide evidence that our solar system is not the center of the universe.
Do you know anything about the universe and the galaxies? We're in a more outter galaxy that's travelling outward from the centre.

Next thing you know you'll be asking for evidence that the sky is blue and water is wet.

The Berean

Omega3 said:
The Earth is the center of the spiritual and human universe if not the phyisical center of the universe. All the important action, meaning man's history and actions, is here on Earth. When you and I are long dead and buried the Bible will still be here.

The Berean

Omega3 said:

Do you know anything about the universe and the galaxies? We're in a more outter galaxy that's travelling outward from the centre.

Next thing you know you'll be asking for evidence that the sky is blue and water is wet.
It's my understanding that there is no "center" of the universe since we don't know how "large" the universe really is and we can't see the entire universe. We can only speak of the "observable" universe.

The term universe has a variety of meanings based on the context in which it is described. In strictly physical terms the total universe is the summation of all matter that exists and the space in which all events occur. The part of the universe that can be seen or otherwise observed is usually called the known universe, observable universe, or visible universe. Because cosmic inflation removes vast parts of the total universe from our observable horizon, most cosmologists accept that it is impossible to observe the whole continuum and may use the expression our universe, referring only to that knowable by human beings in particular. In cosmological terms, the universe is thought to be a finite or infinite space-time continuum in which all matter and energy exist. It has been hypothesized by some scientists that the universe may be part of a system of many other universes, known as the multiverse.

Source

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Omega3 said:
You are quessing! Read Luke 17 30 -36 and get back to me.
No we are in the center.