Can a teenager still have a life?

Mr. 5020

Nomad said:
Because it allows more depth in a field. Specialization is what drives our economy, and is one of the tenets of capitalism. In the education field, it allows for a focused teacher to present his/her focus in a deeper and more passionate light than can a teacher trying to cover a whole range of subjects.

This is well evidenced on a university campus, where the professors are specialized in their courses. Hopefully the public school system would mirror such specialization, and from what I've seen it often does.

I have no passion for math or science, but I do enjoy history a lot. For me to teach my kid math or science as opposed to someone whose passion it is, would be to put my child at a loss. I could teach my kid history well enough though.
But you just said that you think "that a student that wants to pursue a field will do so independent of the teachers he/she is given." Therefore, couldn't that student do well in math or science independent of a specialized teacher?

Second question...do you think it would be worth a small loss in statistical knowledge to protect your children from drugs, pedophiles, or worst of all, cheap hugs?

Nomad

Mr. 5020 said:
But you just said that you think "that a student that wants to pursue a field will do so independent of the teachers he/she is given." Therefore, couldn't that student do well in math or science independent of a specialized teacher?

ah, good point.

Yes, yes he could. But could the apathetic student do well and enjoy a subject they don't usually without a specialized teacher?

I don't much enjoy math, but I did enjoy statistics. I even did rather well in it in my opinion. I most certainly would not have without a passionate teacher.

Second question...do you think it would be worth a small loss in statistical knowledge to protect your children from drugs, pedophiles, or worst of all, cheap hugs?

I think that's a false dilemma. If it was a given that sending my kids to public schools would make them drug users who are the targets of pedophiles and people with bad senses of humor, then I would gladly take statistics from them. However, it's far from a given.

In that scenario, what makes home schooling more desireable than private schooling? If you'd like to defer that question to a later time then go ahead...

Nomad

as well, 5020, this'll have to be more spread out than last time, I've got a lot of studying to do :(

But hopefully it'll be shorter...much shorter

JoyfulRook

OlDove said:
Ok. I've got someone to type for me. So I can say more.

There are several reasons for keeping kids out of a public school. I think your best answer, if you fear public school so much, is private school. Remember the old show "The Beverly Hill Billies"? Now, it's true Jethro went to a public school back in them hills, but even the teachers back in them hills had the brains to only let him graduate 6th grade. He was so proud of that 6th grade education, wasn't he? Jethro wanted to be a brain surgeon. Would you let Jethro operate on your brain? How about Granny with her home doctoring? Would you let Granny operate on your brain?
If you had any credibility left, you would have lost it by using the Beverly Hillbillies as an example of homeschooling.... :doh:

JoyfulRook

Mr. 5020 said:
As a homeschool student, I have to say that I give out and recieve hugs on a regular basis... :noid:

OlDove

Dread Helm said:
If you had any credibility left, you would have lost it by using the Beverly Hillbillies as an example of homeschooling.... :doh:
a bunch of Jethros runnin round didnt scare you?
great show The Beverly Hillbillies
Jed has his hands full but handles it peacefully. and has learned to let bankers be bankers. lawyers be lawyers. teachers be teachers.

OlDove

Dread Helm said:
As a homeschool student, I have to say that I give out and recieve hugs on a regular basis... :noid:
never stop huggin
never stop learnin
its your future

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Nomad said:
A school (private or public) is the obvious ends towards a good education. It is specialization applied to the realm of education. I'll go ahead and posit that I could not teach my kids math as well as a public teacher could, because I am not very good in math. I do not feel like it's an insult to my parents when I say that I had teachers in high school that taught me subjects better than I think they could have.

I had a statistics teacher my senior year who was passionate about teaching and about teaching statistics, and I do not see that level of specialization capable on a home schooled level, which is bad seeing as how I see that level of specialiazation desireable. The same could be said of my English teacher, some history teachers and various other teachers I had throughout high school. Certainly some were less motivated than others, but I think that a student that wants to pursue a field will do so independent of the teachers he/she is given.

That's what OlDove's been talking about, and what his question was getting at DH...if you'll allow me to perhaps clarify and posit things myself.
I taught myself most things better than any of my teachers ever did, or ever could. I would have definitely been better off in homeschool, because even if my parents could not have taught me a specific subject, I would have been able to teach it to myself.

Nomad

Lighthouse said:
I taught myself most things better than any of my teachers ever did, or ever could. I would have definitely been better off in homeschool, because even if my parents could not have taught me a specific subject, I would have been able to teach it to myself.

But apparently public schools didn't prevent you from teaching yourself

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Nomad said:
But apparently public schools didn't prevent you from teaching yourself
They didn't help me either. And I was in private schools for a few years before going into public school. Most kids I knew in public school were never in any other form of school. And can't teach themselves anything.

OlDove

Lighthouse said:
They didn't help me either. And I was in private schools for a few years before going into public school. Most kids I knew in public school were never in any other form of school. And can't teach themselves anything.
I flunked kindergarten because I didn't speak english. So for myself, it was 2 years in kindergarten, and then1st grade in public schools. Then 2nd through 5th grade in Catholic school, then 6th through 12th back in public.

During my school days I saw teachers crack and quit. I saw teachers that partied with their students, and then one day in summer school partying at the teachers house, we kind of noticed we were the ones who flunked his class. My interests were always in building things and seeing how they worked. So I developed a crappy attitude toward things that didn't interest me. But the things that did interest me were there for me to learn with the expertise and knowledge to teach me. I used to go back to my old high school and visit teachers. Having been within public and private schools, and then using my imagination to know the limited education my mom could have given me, I thank God for public and private schools. I truly feel sorry for those who do not see the blessing in others' knowledge and abilities because they think they know it all.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
OlDove said:
I saw teachers that partied with their students, and then one day in summer school partying at the teachers house, we kind of noticed we were the ones who flunked his class.
Thank you for proving our point.

OlDove

Lighthouse said:
who pushed you to learn anything exept you?
unless your parents teach you to want an education.
but as the sayin goes.
you can lead a child to water , but you cant make em drink it.

OlDove

Lighthouse said:
Thank you for proving our point.
what point???
if they cant deal with it.
they get pulled out.
if their kids fail, SURPRISE they dont stay.
the party teacher lasted ONE year.
the teacher i talked to most was there some 20 years.
your kids know kids who party. they wount tell you about it. they will decide if they party behind your back or not.
you got a camera mounted to yours yet?

the school didnt teach me to party.
the kids i chose to hang with plus i got me to party.

Mr. 5020

Nomad said:
ah, good point.

Yes, yes he could. But could the apathetic student do well and enjoy a subject they don't usually without a specialized teacher?
Apathy would apply regardless of how much the teacher knows about his/her particular subject. A parent, who has the ability to discipline their child, can "push" an apathetic student in ways a teacher can not.
Nomad said:
I don't much enjoy math, but I did enjoy statistics. I even did rather well in it in my opinion. I most certainly would not have without a passionate teacher.
What did the teacher actually do that made you enjoy statistics? Was it his/her knowledge?
Nomad said:
I think that's a false dilemma. If it was a given that sending my kids to public schools would make them drug users who are the targets of pedophiles and people with bad senses of humor, then I would gladly take statistics from them. However, it's far from a given.
Would you agree that the chances are higher??
Nomad said:
In that scenario, what makes home schooling more desireable than private schooling? If you'd like to defer that question to a later time then go ahead...
Are you insane enough to believe that the problems public schools are infamous for (drugs, pedophiles, etc.) have not entered the private schools?

Mr. 5020

Nomad said:
as well, 5020, this'll have to be more spread out than last time, I've got a lot of studying to do :(

But hopefully it'll be shorter...much shorter
I'm a little busier now-a-days, too. I still have your concession letter ready for you whenever you're ready. :)

P.S. My new avatar is just for you. :D