Can a teenager still have a life?

Nomad

Mr. 5020 said:
Apathy would apply regardless of how much the teacher knows about his/her particular subject. A parent, who has the ability to discipline their child, can "push" an apathetic student in ways a teacher can not.

Push them to what? An apathetic kid can be apathetic and still do his homework. Witholding his desserts won't do much for him will more than anything cause bad blood in the house. Thank goodness my relation with my parents is better than some I had with teachers I didn't like :p
What did the teacher actually do that made you enjoy statistics? Was it his/her knowledge?

Knowledge only as it was the result of a passion for the subject.
Would you agree that the chances are higher??
Probably so...though there could be parents that kill their kids :idunno: I think that the chances are higher in the same way that riding in a car gives you a higher chance to die than sitting at home
Are you insane enough to believe that the problems public schools are infamous for (drugs, pedophiles, etc.) have not entered the private schools?

No, and no need to go to name-calling here, I was asking a question not making an argument.

Numbers and such would be interesting at several points here. If you'd like to crunch some numbers later (and put to use my stat) then I can do that...after thursday.

Mr. 5020

Nomad said:
Push them to what? An apathetic kid can be apathetic and still do his homework.
When kids do anything repetitively, including homework, they remember what they are learning.
Nomad said:
Witholding his desserts won't do much for him will more than anything cause bad blood in the house.
What are you talking about? You just said it would push them to do their work.
Nomad said:
Thank goodness my relation with my parents is better than some I had with teachers I didn't like :p
Agreed. :)
Nomad said:
Knowledge only as it was the result of a passion for the subject.
I can't remember where I was going with this. :)
Nomad said:
Probably so...though there could be parents that kill their kids :idunno: I think that the chances are higher in the same way that riding in a car gives you a higher chance to die than sitting at home
Are you saying that the odds of a kid succumbing to drugs as a result of peer pressure are the same odds they face of a car accident???
Nomad said:
No, and no need to go to name-calling here, I was asking a question not making an argument.
Didn't mean to offend. Glad I could answer your question. :)
Nomad said:
Numbers and such would be interesting at several points here. If you'd like to crunch some numbers later (and put to use my stat) then I can do that...after thursday.
What stats are you interested in?

OlDove

Mr. 5020 said:
What stats are you interested in?

this group of home school parents has more formal education than parents in the general population;
the median income for home school families is significantly higher than that of all families with children in the United States;
and almost all home school students are in married couple families.

Because this was not a controlled experiment, the study does not demonstrate that home schooling is superior to public or private schools and the results must be interpreted with caution. The report clearly suggests, however, that home school students do quite well in that educational environment.

Home school parents are, by definition, heavily involved in their children's education; the same, unfortunately, is not true of all public or private school parents.

http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v7n8/

Mr. 5020

OlDove said:
this group of home school parents has more formal education than parents in the general population;
the median income for home school families is significantly higher than that of all families with children in the United States;
and almost all home school students are in married couple families.

Because this was not a controlled experiment, the study does not demonstrate that home schooling is superior to public or private schools and the results must be interpreted with caution. The report clearly suggests, however, that home school students do quite well in that educational environment.

Home school parents are, by definition, heavily involved in their children's education; the same, unfortunately, is not true of all public or private school parents.

http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v7n8/
Were you attempting to make a point??

OlDove

Mr. 5020 said:
Now that's a good point. :)
its all about how important education is to the parent/s.
and if they care, then a school is a great place to learn.
teachers equipment all the stuff needed to get a balanced education.

Mr. 5020

OlDove said:
its all about how important education is to the parent/s.
and if they care, then a school is a great place to learn.
teachers equipment all the stuff needed to get a balanced education.
When I graduated from high school, 46% of my fellow graduates had the reading level of a 4th grader, and probably still do. Was that a balanced education??

OlDove

Mr. 5020 said:
When I graduated from high school, 46% of my fellow graduates had the reading level of a 4th grader, and probably still do. Was that a balanced education??
my spellin impress you?
i learned to work with my hands.
hard to have a machine shop at home.

OlDove

Was that a balanced education??
you think if they got homeschooled they would have been smarter?
maybe their folks didnt teach em to learn?

QueenAtHome

OlDove said:
My husband and I would have rocked the statistic on these points. (we were never asked though) He graduated from homeschool, I graduated from a public school. Neither of us ever earned our original major. By recent American standards, we are poor.

OlDove said:
:duh:

QueenAtHome

No one needs to tell you to learn. God gives you a brain for a reason.

My 2 year old figured out how to pull the drawers out so that she could climb up them to get the bag of candy that I had on the counter. No one showed her how to do.

My 1 year old delights in pulling off her socks. No one taught her to reach down and yank those things off.

It doesn't take a kid long to learn that you don't throw sand at the kid that will hit you.

My oldest just learned about tornandos. How? She went and researched it (by herself). Just like you, or I, or any one else would research a topic when we desire to learn more about it.

There is a reason why there is the saying "necessity is the mother of all invention". You can't teach how something works that hasn't been invented. No one taught the Wright brothers how to make an airplane, yet look at where their desire to learn has brought us today.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
hoosiermommy said:
No one needs to tell you to learn. God gives you a brain for a reason.

My 2 year old figured out how to pull the drawers out so that she could climb up them to get the bag of candy that I had on the counter. No one showed her how to do.

My 1 year old delights in pulling off her socks. No one taught her to reach down and yank those things off.

It doesn't take a kid long to learn that you don't throw sand at the kid that will hit you.

My oldest just learned about tornandos. How? She went and researched it (by herself). Just like you, or I, or any one else would research a topic when we desire to learn more about it.

There is a reason why there is the saying "necessity is the mother of all invention". You can't teach how something works that hasn't been invented. No one taught the Wright brothers how to make an airplane, yet look at where their desire to learn has brought us today.
If I could rep you again, I would!:thumb:

OlDove

Intelligent parents can create intelligent children. Stupid parents that know they're stupid, can still create intelligent children. But a child's spirit can be stolen. The ability and desire to learn, to grow, to find their own identity. Stolen by parents who homeschool because of fear that their children might learn something that they do not approve of. So it really is about why you homeschool, ain't it. Is it out of fear your children might learn something you do not approve of? Then you have stolen from them. Unless of course, you don't want them to learn anger and killing. So lets not go into that garbage. There are no courses on that garbage. But there might be folks to help with anger issues.

My wife and I can only copy what we have learned. And there are going to be subjects that we can't teach on the level that a professional teacher can.