Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hoosiermommy said:
:wave2: psssst I was being sarcastic in the op.

(thought I cleared that up with defining what malarkey is).

I know that high schoolers are fully capable of having a social life

I was trying to emphasize that point. (Probably mistitled this thread).

I was hoping to get reasons from others, mainly the teenagers, as to the benefits of being a homeschooled high schooler.

Karen

No doubt that this is pretty much a "duh, of course they can!" for you when it comes to the question of the thread. :D

Hopefully you didn't think I was suggesting otherwise. Just trying to contribute for those who unfortunately are still in the dark.

I guess I got a little carried away with a "mom's" perspective. :eek:

Last edited:

ShadowMaid

Thanks for starting this thread, hooserimommy. :)

I'd have to say these years I'm living now are the most God-centered years I've lived, and that I have a lot of fun. There isn't much I can't do. I can tell Dad last minute that I'm going to see a movie, and I haven't ever heard him say flat out no, just because he didn't want me to go. The only times he's not wanted me to go, is when there is a different, and previous engagement that maybe slipped my mind. ^_^ I don't have a problem getting along with anyone except a completely rude, close-minded idiot. :)

Unlike Dread Helm here, though. I don't spend everyday doing some or other. Well, not like hanging out with friends, debate, or scouts. I have dance practice, and work, and other than that, I'm on TOL, or reading, which is a lot of fun indeed. ^_^

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Is it the same district you went to?

:shut:

I was trying to hold back and be nice but now that you brought it up you're making it very hard.

:shut:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I was public schooled from 3rd-12th. Before that I was in private schools. My grades were best in those first few years. Other than that, it wasn't much different than public school. And I say all this to get to this point: my social skills are severely lacking. Most people I know can see that, and point it out to me on occasion. So the argument that public schooling is necessary for socialization is unfounded.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OlDove said:
:devil: :first: :doh: :chuckle:

SNL

Jane you ignorant slut. Homeschooling is no different than setting up a womb so you can keep reproducing yourself. It offers no balance, except the confused balance you create within your mind and pass it along. It produces children who are unable to cope with different ethinic groups, or any other thought that is beyond the rigid frame you formed creating your own little images. Create your evil little mini-me's that will one day grow to destroy you because your job will be to always keep them under your thumb. And when they bite that thumb, you'll push harder, and you will kill their spirit. All because your a selfish, dark-sided old fart who needs mini-me's to follow him.

Good night folks. I'm wiped out. I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate. :)
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. - Billy Madison's principal.

OlDove

Knight said:
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. - Billy Madison's principal.
We've never lived in a bad school district, but then I've spent my life in Illinois. And within that, I only know of a few. So I can't make a blanket statement.
:dizzy: :shocked: :chuckle: :think: :BillyBob: :Grizzly:

SNL
{Dan}
Jane you inane twit. All you did was babble. You did not bring up one point. I'm guessing between the pantyhose and the tight bra, your heart just can't pump enough blood to your brain. Or has your religious dogma disallowed blood to flow through it? Within your cold frigid heart, you built that classroom for your children because you wanted to make sure they could never think of an original thought that might confuse you. You fear the idea that your children might go to a public school and talk to other children who live in a free world. You fear the idea that your child might come home and teach you something. But without blood flowing through your brain you'll just have to point to a book and babble like a monkey. Please release your child to be among others their own age. But even then it would be too hard for you. You would want to listen to everything said to your child by everybody. They should only learn the things you learned because you're perfect. God I wish women's lib had become more popular! With them tight bras on, all they are are self-righteous ego-maniacs. Without that bra maybe your heart could pump some blood up to your brain like it did for those who took them off and declared freedom. But within your rigid little world, there is no freedom. And anything fun you might have, never gets to see the sun, because you're ashamed and you keep them in the shade.

:D

Eowyn

Proverbs 4:11-13
LIFETIME MEMBER
I guess my 2 cents would be this: I was home schooled from K-12, I am now in college planning on becoming an RN. Obviously every one's experience will differ slightly but I was in no way held back because of my education. I had friends, was involved in sports, went to camp, and managed to learn my abc's, my times tables, and how to read as well. :)

Neither of my parents graduated from college and they managed to teach all four of their kids just fine. There are so many resources to help parents out these days it's ridiculous! I can see liberal non-Christians bashing home schooling, that makes sense, they aren't the smartest folks around. But it bothers me when Christians slam home schooling parents without thinking about it in a Biblical way.

More important than just academics, my parents were able to instill in me a love for other people and a desire for a deep, genuine relationship with my Savior. Can Christian parents do this with their kids in public school? Yes, but I have seen with several friends how much harder it can be. I saw the many, many sacrifices my parents made to home school us. It's not always easy, it's expensive at times, and as seen in this thread you don't always have a lot of support. They did it because they loved us enough to open their eyes to the horrors of public school and save us from years of bad influence. It's certainly not the easy way out and I respect both my mom and dad immensely for the sacrifice they made for me and my brothers

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Eowyn said:
I guess my 2 cents would be this: I was home schooled from K-12, I am now in college planning on becoming an RN. Obviously every one's experience will differ slightly but I was in no way held back because of my education. I had friends, was involved in sports, went to camp, and managed to learn my abc's, my times tables, and how to read as well. :)

Neither of my parents graduated from college and they managed to teach all four of their kids just fine. There are so many resources to help parents out these days it's ridiculous! I can see liberal non-Christians bashing home schooling, that makes sense, they aren't the smartest folks around. But it bothers me when Christians slam home schooling parents without thinking about it in a Biblical way.

More important than just academics, my parents were able to instill in me a love for other people and a desire for a deep, genuine relationship with my Savior. Can Christian parents do this with their kids in public school? Yes, but I have seen with several friends how much harder it can be. I saw the many, many sacrifices my parents made to home school us. It's not always easy, it's expensive at times, and as seen in this thread you don't always have a lot of support. They did it because they loved us enough to open their eyes to the horrors of public school and save us from years of bad influence. It's certainly not the easy way out and I respect both my mom and dad immensely for the sacrifice they made for me and my brothers
POTD
:first:

PKevman

I agree wholeheartedly with the POTD. We homeschool our kids and we love it, and they love it. It is the best environment for kids to learn to succeed in life.

OlDove

PastorKevin said:
I agree wholeheartedly with the POTD. We homeschool our kids and we love it, and they love it. It is the best environment for kids to learn to succeed in life.
in the real world a Pastor might forget about because the hard working working people make it possible for you to do so.

how many here can donate the time to homeschool?

who makes the money to fund this ability?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, please! Don't try to turn this into a money thing. Money has nothing to do with why you oppose homeschooling and we all know it.

If you inherited $10 million tomorrow would you and your wife start homeschooling?

OlDove

Turbo said:
Oh, please! Don't try to turn this into a money thing. Money has nothing to do with why you oppose homeschooling and we all know it.

If you inherited $10 million tomorrow would you and your wife start homeschooling?
we are not able to teach in areas equal to those who studied to teach in each field of individual study.i ask me kids what they have learned.

10 of them new tipe of dallors?

they used some strange new word "millions"
i had to look it up in that big book with words in it.

we should each do as we do best.
TEAM WORK friend
team work

Joe Roberts

BANNED
Banned
ebenz47037 said:
You're wrong OlDove. I've been homeschooling for, going on, seven years because my daughter is way ahead of her age group academically. I know that we're missing out on a lot of the drug use, sex, and violence in public schools. But, you cannot issue a blanket statement like that without having anything to back up what you're saying.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the sex and drugs, once they go away to college it is very probable that they will catch up on all that nasty stuff.