Can a teenager still have a life?

OlDove

Mr. 5020 said:
Because the answer is obvious. Why is any kid at any school??
in this case, i have no idea why untill i hear why.
does child and parent give same answer is also interestin.

OlDove

Ok. I've got someone to type for me. So I can say more.

There are several reasons for keeping kids out of a public school. I think your best answer, if you fear public school so much, is private school. Remember the old show "The Beverly Hill Billies"? Now, it's true Jethro went to a public school back in them hills, but even the teachers back in them hills had the brains to only let him graduate 6th grade. He was so proud of that 6th grade education, wasn't he? Jethro wanted to be a brain surgeon. Would you let Jethro operate on your brain? How about Granny with her home doctoring? Would you let Granny operate on your brain?

Now explain to me who gave you the credentials to operate on your kids' brain.

Tell me in detail what makes you more qualified to teach english, math, science, etc. So please, someone tell me what makes you more qualified than someone who went to school to learn how to teach these things? And for those who hold jobs that actually require an intelligent mind, can I read a book and do as well as you? Most likely, I'll make mistakes at the beginning won't I? And the same way I would make mistakes doing your job, you will make mistakes messing with your kids' brain.

Whose up for the challenge?

Nomad

A school (private or public) is the obvious ends towards a good education. It is specialization applied to the realm of education. I'll go ahead and posit that I could not teach my kids math as well as a public teacher could, because I am not very good in math. I do not feel like it's an insult to my parents when I say that I had teachers in high school that taught me subjects better than I think they could have.

I had a statistics teacher my senior year who was passionate about teaching and about teaching statistics, and I do not see that level of specialization capable on a home schooled level, which is bad seeing as how I see that level of specialiazation desireable. The same could be said of my English teacher, some history teachers and various other teachers I had throughout high school. Certainly some were less motivated than others, but I think that a student that wants to pursue a field will do so independent of the teachers he/she is given.

That's what OlDove's been talking about, and what his question was getting at DH...if you'll allow me to perhaps clarify and posit things myself.

Mr. 5020

You ready for Round 2, Nomad? :)
Nomad said:
Certainly some were less motivated than others, but I think that a student that wants to pursue a field will do so independent of the teachers he/she is given.
So why does specialization matter?

Nomad

OlDove said:
Ok. I've got someone to type for me. So I can say more.

There are several reasons for keeping kids out of a public school. I think your best answer, if you fear public school so much, is private school. Remember the old show "The Beverly Hill Billies"? Now, it's true Jethro went to a public school back in them hills, but even the teachers back in them hills had the brains to only let him graduate 6th grade. He was so proud of that 6th grade education, wasn't he? Jethro wanted to be a brain surgeon. Would you let Jethro operate on your brain? How about Granny with her home doctoring? Would you let Granny operate on your brain?

Now explain to me who gave you the credentials to operate on your kids' brain.

Tell me in detail what makes you more qualified to teach english, math, science, etc. So please, someone tell me what makes you more qualified than someone who went to school to learn how to teach these things? And for those who hold jobs that actually require an intelligent mind, can I read a book and do as well as you? Most likely, I'll make mistakes at the beginning won't I? And the same way I would make mistakes doing your job, you will make mistakes messing with your kids' brain.

Whose up for the challenge?

well said.

Nomad

Mr. 5020 said:
So why does specialization matter?

Because it allows more depth in a field. Specialization is what drives our economy, and is one of the tenets of capitalism. In the education field, it allows for a focused teacher to present his/her focus in a deeper and more passionate light than can a teacher trying to cover a whole range of subjects.

This is well evidenced on a university campus, where the professors are specialized in their courses. Hopefully the public school system would mirror such specialization, and from what I've seen it often does.

I have no passion for math or science, but I do enjoy history a lot. For me to teach my kid math or science as opposed to someone whose passion it is, would be to put my child at a loss. I could teach my kid history well enough though.