Can a teenager still have a life?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joe Roberts said:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the sex and drugs, once they go away to college it is very probable that they will catch up on all that nasty stuff.
You know, I don't worry about that stuff at all. I think it depends on the parents and the children and how the parents raise the children, for the largest part of college students (or kids turning that age). I know that there are exceptions to that. If parents raise their kids to respect themselves and others, there's less of a chance that any of this will occur.

Joe Roberts

BANNED
Banned
ebenz47037 said:
You know, I don't worry about that stuff at all. I think it depends on the parents and the children and how the parents raise the children, for the largest part of college students (or kids turning that age). I know that there are exceptions to that. If parents raise their kids to respect themselves and others, there's less of a chance that any of this will occur.

Perhaps, I’m a little jaded since I’ve worked for 10 years on an alcohol and drug detox unit.

I by no mean wanted to covey that you are not raising your children poorly.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joe Roberts said:
Perhaps, I’m a little jaded since I’ve worked for 10 years on an alcohol and drug detox unit.

I by no mean wanted to covey that you are not raising your children poorly.
I didn't think that you were implying that. :)

I know that there are some people who, no matter what, will take drugs, drink, etc. Right now, I don't know that my daughter will not use drugs or drink heavily when she moves out from under my roof. That's got to be her decision. But, because of the way I raised her, I believe that she will choose not to go down that road. She knows about the mistakes I made when I was younger and she knows why I made some of the choices I made. I've done my best to make sure that she didn't have the same kind of childhood that I did. In her 17 years, she's lived in exactly 5 homes (compared to my living in 36 homes). She's allowed to express her feelings and thoughts (compared to my getting slapped upside the head if I did the same thing). I've answered any questions that she might have about pretty much any topic (compared to my mom telling me to go ask at school).

I honestly think that the choices children will make as they grow into adulthood have a lot to do with how they are raised.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joe Roberts said:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the sex and drugs, once they go away to college it is very probable that they will catch up on all that nasty stuff.
:down: What a foolishly defeatist attitude you have!

Joe, you never responded to this post.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OlDove said:
we are not able to teach in areas equal to those who studied to teach in each field of individual study.i ask me kids what they have learned.

10 of them new tipe of dallors?

they used some strange new word "millions"
i had to look it up in that big book with words in it.

we should each do as we do best.
TEAM WORK friend
team work
And so it begins... the long slide into the wackiness that lead to your original TOL banishment.

Dude, you aren't funny. Your intentional weirdness is asinine.

QueenAtHome

Dread Helm said:
Dude, you can't even create a cohesive sentence. Don't tell others where to get a "full complete balanced education."

KNIGHT said:
Dude, you aren't funny. Your intentional weirdness is asinine.
Whew!!!

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one that had problems trying to understand what the "Ol Dove" is trying to say!!:mock:

QueenAtHome

OlDove said:
We homeschool every day.
from the time my daughter wakes up, till she is at her public school.
then from the end of public school till she is asleep.
So...you some how manage to squeeze English spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, U.S. and state history, civics, US Constitution, health and physiology, physical education, music, art, geography, science, conservation, safety and fire prevention lessons; and eat, watch the tube, and do the appropriate grooming activities, into a few hours a day before and after school all-the-while maintaining some sort-of family and social life? Yet you worry about my ability to do the same when I have far more hours in my day to do it in? :confused:

OlDove said:
For those who wish to homeschool, is it really the fear of what other kids might do, or is it a fear that your children are not strong enough to make good decisions on their own? At some point they will be in the real world. Just as we work in public places, should we all work from home because of our fears?

If you have a gifted child and your school district does not offer programs for that child, that's different. Sometimes school can bore a child to death if not done correctly. But learning how to socialize and respect others, it's like sailing a boat. You can read all the books you want, people can tell you all about it, but until you've sailed, you haven't. Some learn better reading how to sail, some learn better watching others sail. But until a child controls it's own sails, how will it know how the wind really feels when it hits the sail?
You are sooooooooooooooo ignorant!!!!!!! How is sitting in a controlled box amongst people your own age learning how the real world works? The only way to ......... :think:I already made this post over here http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1350666#post1350666

OlDove

hoosiermommy said:
So...you some how manage to squeeze English spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, U.S. and state history, civics, US Constitution, health and physiology, physical education, music, art, geography, science, conservation, safety and fire prevention lessons; and eat, watch the tube, and do the appropriate grooming activities, into a few hours a day before and after school all-the-while maintaining some sort-of family and social life? Yet you worry about my ability to do the same when I have far more hours in my day to do it in? :confused:

yep, we do our best when she is home.
the school does its best when she is there.
like i said.
we do not have the ability of those who spent years at college to learn how to teach all these subjects.
we do have a public school system that has great teachers and leaders.

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT???

Adam

Hall of Fame
OlDove said:
yep, we do our best when she is home.
the school does its best when she is there.
like i said.
we do not have the ability of those who spent years at college to learn how to teach all these subjects.

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT???
so why send her to school if you can teach her all that?

OlDove

Adambassador said:
so why send her to school if you can teach her all that?
how shall i think i am better at teaching then those who studied how to teach?

i understand we do not have the ability of those who spent years at college to learn how to teach all these subjects.
they also have the ability to see from an outside perspective how my child interacts with others her age.
thats impossible if you only home school aint it?

Minerva

OlDove said:
how shall i think i am better at teaching then those who studied how to teach?

i understand we do not have the ability of those who spent years at college to learn how to teach all these subjects.
they also have the ability to see from an outside perspective how my child interacts with others her age.
thats impossible if you only home school aint it?

Why do you feel that one must go to college to study how to teach in order to teach their children. I never went to college and I am very well versed in every subject in addition to a large variety of many non conventional subjects and a very large variety of extra curricular actifvities. I am confident that I could teach my children anything. I can definetely teach them more than they could ever hope to learn in school.

OlDove

Minerva said:
Why do you feel that one must go to college to study how to teach in order to teach their children. I never went to college and I am very well versed in every subject in addition to a large variety of many non conventional subjects and a very large variety of extra curricular actifvities. I am confident that I could teach my children anything. I can definetely teach them more than they could ever hope to learn in school.
so if your kid wanted to go to the moon, you dont need NASA ?

OlDove

Turbo said:
Is "rocket science" part of your kids' public school curriculum?
nope
but if they want to learn it, they can.
i worked as a mold maker/tool&die field.
i can teach my kids how to build a tool better then a rocket scientist.
howbout you . can you teach to build a tool better then i can?

OlDove

to all homeschoolers

JoyfulRook

OlDove said:
to all homeschoolers

OlDove....if your post made sense, it would probably garner more responses. :kookoo:

OlDove

Dread Helm said:
OlDove....if your post made sense, it would probably garner more responses. :kookoo:
thats called an "outside perspective"
its somethin homeschoolers dont get.