Can a teenager still have a life?

ShadowMaid

OlDove said:
Intelligent parents can create intelligent children. Stupid parents that know they're stupid, can still create intelligent children. But a child's spirit can be stolen. The ability and desire to learn, to grow, to find their own identity. Stolen by parents who homeschool because of fear that their children might learn something that they do not approve of.
I'm not aware of any homeschoolers who don't know what goes on in the real world.

So it really is about why you homeschool, ain't it. Is it out of fear your children might learn something you do not approve of? Then you have stolen from them.
Good grief! Don't you know the parents don't eat the kids souls until the day before they start 5th grade? :doh:

Unless of course, you don't want them to learn anger and killing. So lets not go into that garbage. There are no courses on that garbage. But there might be folks to help with anger issues.

My wife and I can only copy what we have learned. And there are going to be subjects that we can't teach on the level that a professional teacher can.
You almost make me feel stupid. But then, that's what you're trying to do. Or at least make the parents feel stupid.

OlDove

ShadowMaid said:
So is bad homeschooling better than good public schooling?
Bad homeschooling makes stupider homeschooled than public schooled, because stupid homeschooled can destroy the desire to learn. Luckily at public and private schools, they have folks called teachers who help. They try to help those who are stupidly homeschooled, and try to show them an education will bring them a better future. The smart homeschooled are the ones that really excell in public and private schools, because they have what is needed at home, plus all the expertise and equipment to teach them at their public or private school.

But that's just my opinion.

ShadowMaid

OlDove said:
Bad homeschooling makes stupider homeschooled than public schooled, because stupid homeschooled can destroy the desire to learn. Luckily at public and private schools, they have folks called teachers who help. They try to help those who are stupidly homeschooled, and try to show them an education will bring them a better future. The smart homeschooled are the ones that really excell in public and private schools, because they have what is needed at home, plus all the expertise and equipment to teach them at their public or private school.

But that's just my opinion.

What about character? It's not a secret that there are numerous public schoolers who I wouldn't want to be friends with, and who you probably wouldn't want your kids to be friends with.

Nomad

ShadowMaid said:
What about character? It's not a secret that there are numerous public schoolers who I wouldn't want to be friends with, and who you probably wouldn't want your kids to be friends with.

and it's just because they go to a public school?

I'm sure there's plenty of homeschoolers I wouldn't want to be around

Galapagos

I find it funny that certain christians need to keep their kids sheltered at their heels for fear of learning anything about reality in the real world. Ever heard of socialization? Life experience? Are you people so afraid that your kids might be able to learn to think for themselves?

JoyfulRook

OlDove said:
i think i would be stupit to homeshcool.
You can't even get the sentence out! :crackup:

This is sad.... Why is it always people who can barely speak their native tongue (OlDove, NuGnazi, etc.) that are the biggest supporters of Public Schooling?

Nomad

Dread Helm said:
You can't even get the sentence out! :crackup:

This is sad.... Why is it always people who can barely speak their native tongue (OlDove, NuGnazi, etc.) that are the biggest supporters of Public Schooling?

never fear DH, I, Nomad, can be quite eloquent at times.

QueenAtHome

Galapagos said:
I find it funny that certain christians need to keep their kids sheltered at their heels for fear of learning anything about reality in the real world. Ever heard of socialization? Life experience? Are you people so afraid that your kids might be able to learn to think for themselves?

Talk about painting with a broad brush.

Christians aren't the only ones to homeschool.
There are Wiccans, atheist, Muslims, Buddist, Hindus, Gypsies, etc.

As for the rest of your question, I have already answered them in previous posts.

PKevman

Galapagos said:

I find it funny that people want to take away the rights of parents to educate their children at home themselves. My kids can get socialization without experiencing peer pressure to be involved in sex, profanity, drugs, etc... that comes from worldly kids. And anyone who would say that doesn't go on in public schools is a fool. It's all over our media and in the movies. Even PG-13 rated movies today would have been rated "R" 20 years ago. And we're odd if we care about what goes into our kids' heads? We DO think for ourselves and we teach our kids to think for themselves, and not what others (including our God-hating culture) wants to force on them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Galapagos said:
As I've said before, I went to public school, and my socialization skills are horrendous. And I know plenty of homeschooled children who have had real world experiences. I know some who went on a trip to Greece. Some of them even have jobs.:gasp: I even know of one who thought for himself so well, that when it was revealed he was only thirteen, at the time, I almost fell off my chair. I couldn't believe someone so young could be so intelligent, thoughtful and mature.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
PastorKevin said:
I find it funny that people want to take away the rights of parents to educate their children at home themselves. My kids can get socialization without experiencing peer pressure to be involved in sex, profanity, drugs, etc... that comes from worldly kids. And anyone who would say that doesn't go on in public schools is a fool. It's all over our media and in the movies. Even PG-13 rated movies today would have been rated "R" 20 years ago. And we're odd if we care about what goes into our kids' heads? We DO think for ourselves and we teach our kids to think for themselves, and not what others (including our God-hating culture) wants to force on them.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PastorKevin again."

OlDove

PastorKevin said:
I find it funny that people want to take away the rights of parents to educate their children at home themselves.
who is tryin to stop any parent from doin that?
we homeschool by talking to our kids
find out who they are
what they need
what they think
what they share
and then work with the school system as a team.

remember team work?

there is no "I" in "TEAM" ???

PKevman

who is tryin to stop any parent from doin that?

Folks such as yourself.

we homeschool by talking to our kids

No that is called being a parent.

find out who they are

We would rather have a direct impact in SHAPING who they are! Finding out who they are leads us to find out that they are sinners in need of a Savior and promotes selfishness.

what they need

Parents who love them enough to be involved in every area of their lives!

what they think

If we have a relationship with them, and we shape their minds by teaching them properly from the Word of God, then we will KNOW what they think.

and then work with the school system as a team.

Our school system is a team. Mom is teacher, Dad is principal and sometimes teacher but mom is the main teacher mainly because she is home with them all day long. That doesn't mean that principal Dad is not involved because he is.

remember team work?

there is no "I" in "TEAM" ???

No there is no "public school" in our TEAM!

OlDove

No there is no "public school" in our TEAM!
then your team is missing many quality players.
how many coaches on a football team?
how many players ?

how many play or coach all positions ?

OlDove

PastorKevin said:
My homeschooled 9-year old would never spell it like that.
my 9 year old could spell it stupid stupit stewpit stewpid.

yours sounds limited, but thats cool.
do you teach/allow creativity in thought as "principle"