Can a teenager still have a life?

QueenAtHome

You always hear about how "deprived" homeschoolers are because they miss out on those wonderful social things that only a public school atmosphere can provide.

You also hear about how high school is the best years of your life. (where's a smilie saying , "dude")

So this has me thinking (if one was to believe such malarkey) how can a high schooler have any sort of social life if they are home schooled?

I mean really, spending your teenager years with ma & pa when you could be living it up? :yawn:

Edited to add:
So.....
What are the benefits of being a highschool homeschooler?
Do you still have fun?

Last edited:

OlDove

home schollin is done out of fear of what is taught at public schools.

seperation what does it teach?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OlDove said:
home schollin is done out of fear of what is taught at public schools.

seperation what does it teach?
You're wrong OlDove. I've been homeschooling for, going on, seven years because my daughter is way ahead of her age group academically. I know that we're missing out on a lot of the drug use, sex, and violence in public schools. But, you cannot issue a blanket statement like that without having anything to back up what you're saying.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We homeschool all 6 of our children and they are some-what sheltered.

Sheltered from: school shootings, drug use, teenage alcoholism, sexual abuse, idiotic school curriculum's etc.

We make sure our kids get plenty of external activities i.e., sports, youth group, rock bands etc. We also send our kids to a couple of different homeschool classes that meet outside the house like at various schools etc.

OlDove

We homeschool every day.
from the time my daughter wakes up, till she is at her public school.
then from the end of public school till she is asleep.
But then we live in a good school district.

For those who wish to homeschool, is it really the fear of what other kids might do, or is it a fear that your children are not strong enough to make good decisions on their own? At some point they will be in the real world. Just as we work in public places, should we all work from home because of our fears?

If you have a gifted child and your school district does not offer programs for that child, that's different. Sometimes school can bore a child to death if not done correctly. But learning how to socialize and respect others, it's like sailing a boat. You can read all the books you want, people can tell you all about it, but until you've sailed, you haven't. Some learn better reading how to sail, some learn better watching others sail. But until a child controls it's own sails, how will it know how the wind really feels when it hits the sail?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
OlDove said:
For those who wish to homeschool, is it really the fear of what other kids might do, or is it a fear that your children are not strong enough to make good decisions on their own?
First and foremost, I wish to homeschool because I believe God wants parents to train up their own children. When they're no longer children, they can go to college, trade school, or wherever they need to go to further prepare for the career they want to pursue.

JoyfulRook

:D

Hi, my name is Dread Helm and I'm an unsocialized homeschooled teenager....

:rolleyes:

Of course I still have fun, and am involved in lots of different activities. It's actually rare that I have a day where I'm not with friends, church, scouts, debate, etc. Of course, whether a teenager has a life or not depends on how strict the parents are.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Our kids are homeschooled and they're so deprived of social activity that mom can barely keep up. :freak:

For those that didn't catch my dripping sarcasm, there is certainly no shortage of social activity that my kids participate in and that I approve of. I have 5 kids and on any given day of the week at least one of my kids is taking part in some kind of activity some place, somewhere, somehow.

It's now become uninformed and sometimes willfull ignorant thinking if one believes a homeschooler is deprived of fun socialization opportunities.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Dread Helm said:
Of course I still have fun, and am involved in lots of different activities. It's actually rare that I have a day where I'm not with friends, church, scouts, debate, etc.
:noway: I've heard of kids having imaginary friends, but this.......you must have a very active imagination!!

;)

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
hoosiermommy said:
You always hear about how "deprived" homeschoolers are because they miss out on those wonderful social things that only a public school atmosphere can provide.

You also hear about how high school is the best years of your life. (where's a smilie saying , "dude")

So this has me thinking (if one was to believe such malarkey) how can a high schooler have any sort of social life if they are home schooled?

I mean really, spending your teenager years with ma & pa when you could be living it up? :yawn:

Edited to add:
So.....
What are the benefits of being a highschool homeschooler?
Do you still have fun?

The homeschool kids I know have it great! The best of everything. Parents who care and spend time with them, they learn what they need to know and they are way better socialized than gooberment school kids. They are active and generally well adjusted.

OlDove

well, as i said.
You can read all the books you want, people can tell you all about it, but until you've sailed, you haven't. Some learn better reading how to sail, some learn better watching others sail. But until a child controls it's own sails, how will it know how the wind really feels when it hits the sail?

if you be smarter and more able to provide a full complete balanced education as a public or private school .
go for it.
public school system that bad where you live, why do you live there?
or is it ALL public schools???

QueenAtHome

:wave2: psssst I was being sarcastic in the op.

(thought I cleared that up with defining what malarkey is).

I know that high schoolers are fully capable of having a social life

I was trying to emphasize that point. (Probably mistitled this thread).

I was hoping to get reasons from others, mainly the teenagers, as to the benefits of being a homeschooled high schooler.

Karen

JoyfulRook

OlDove said:
if you be smarter and more able to provide a full complete balanced education as a public or private school .
Dude, you can't even create a cohesive sentence. Don't tell others where to get a "full complete balanced education."

public school system that bad where you live, why do you live there?
or is it ALL public schools???
The only good public school is a bulldozed public school. :)

Minerva

I was homeschooled during the last couple years of high school and I still was involved in the school as far as sports and festivities were concerned. I still went out with friends and had a social life. The benefit came with being able to learn and complete my work at my own speed, which was very fast. I don't feel like I missed out on a thing really. In fact, in retrospect, it hardly seems like I was homeschooled in some ways, my memories are of being at the school and being involved. For a shy child however....I don't know, but I just made sure I was part of everything!

OlDove

Dread Helm said:
Dude, you can't even create a cohesive sentence. Don't tell others where to get a "full complete balanced education."

The only good public school is a bulldozed public school. :)

:devil: :first: :doh: :chuckle:

SNL

Jane you ignorant slut. Homeschooling is no different than setting up a womb so you can keep reproducing yourself. It offers no balance, except the confused balance you create within your mind and pass it along. It produces children who are unable to cope with different ethinic groups, or any other thought that is beyond the rigid frame you formed creating your own little images. Create your evil little mini-me's that will one day grow to destroy you because your job will be to always keep them under your thumb. And when they bite that thumb, you'll push harder, and you will kill their spirit. All because your a selfish, dark-sided old fart who needs mini-me's to follow him.

Good night folks. I'm wiped out. I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate. :)

JoyfulRook

OlDove said:
:devil: :first: :doh: :chuckle:

SNL

Jane you ignorant slut. Homeschooling is no different than setting up a womb so you can keep reproducing yourself. It offers no balance, except the confused balance you create within your mind and pass it along. It produces children who are unable to cope with different ethinic groups, or any other thought that is beyond the rigid frame you formed creating your own little images. Create your evil little mini-me's that will one day grow to destroy you because your job will be to always keep them under your thumb. And when they bite that thumb, you'll push harder, and you will kill their spirit. All because your a selfish, dark-sided old fart who needs mini-me's to follow him.

Good night folks. I'm wiped out. I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate. :)
Sorry, but I am unable to cope with this thought. It falls outside the rigid frame I use to create my own images. Sorry. :(