Writing a book

Volts

I'm thinking about writing a book for the first time. I would like to write about the problem of evil and I would like to discuss various theodicies such as the soul-making theodicy, the free will theodicy, and the greater-good theodicy. I've done a lot of research on this topic. I've read the following authors concerning this subject: J.L. Mackie, William Rowe, Plantinga, C.S. Lewis, Paul Copan, Kenneth Richard Samples, Tim Keller, James Spiegel, and many others. My college degrees and occupation have nothing to do with theology or philosophy. What should I include in my author bio for my book? Should I get a theologian or philosopher to review my book and have their comments written on the back cover? Do you think I should self-publish it?

Daniel1611

I don't agree with theological books. I know people that read theological books but haven't even read every book in the Bible. If people read the whole Bible, they wouldn't need another theology book. I've read some theological books and I've never read any that were worth anything, and I've read false doctrine in pretty much any I've read. If you're a writer, I'd write prose or something. The Bible doesn't need any commentary.

zoo22

I'm thinking about writing a book for the first time. I would like to write about the problem of evil and I would like to discuss various theodicies such as the soul-making theodicy, the free will theodicy, and the greater-good theodicy. I've done a lot of research on this topic. I've read the following authors concerning this subject: J.L. Mackie, William Rowe, Plantinga, C.S. Lewis, Paul Copan, Kenneth Richard Samples, Tim Keller, James Spiegel, and many others. My college degrees and occupation have nothing to do with theology or philosophy. What should I include in my author bio for my book? Should I get a theologian or philosopher to review my book and have their comments written on the back cover? Do you think I should self-publish it?

That's great you're writing a book. I think that you should write your book and worry about your author bio and who'll write a blurb for it's hypothetical back cover and what color would be nice for a store display and whatnot after you're finished writing a first or second draft of the book itself. Seriously.

But if you're concerned with your qualifications, I have two suggestions: 1) as you're writing, consider submitting smaller, related pieces to various publications (online or magazine), 2) take some related classes, and let your teachers and classmates know what you're doing.

I wish you the best with it. :)

JosephR

yeah thats awesome, I think everyone should write at least one book,,,because I believe everyone knows somthing I dont :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking about writing a book for the first time.

the title could be

look what I found on the internet

just show what people using the bible can claim
and
then just show what common sense would lead you to believe

you can find it all right here on tol

genuineoriginal

I'm thinking about writing a book for the first time. I would like to write about the problem of evil and I would like to discuss various theodicies such as the soul-making theodicy, the free will theodicy, and the greater-good theodicy.
You are writing a book to answer the following questions?
  • Why didn't God create a placid utopia?
  • Why doesn't God directly intervene in every insignificant aspect of our existence?
  • Why does God bring judgment upon the wicked?

Cruciform

The Bible doesn't need any commentary.
And yet, here you are posting your own personal commentary on the Bible. :doh:

By the way, where does the Bible state that Christians should not read theology or engage in theological discussion? (CLUE: this forum itself is called THEOLOGYonline!)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't agree with theological books. I know people that read theological books but haven't even read every book in the Bible. If people read the whole Bible, they wouldn't need another theology book. I've read some theological books and I've never read any that were worth anything, and I've read false doctrine in pretty much any I've read. If you're a writer, I'd write prose or something. The Bible doesn't need any commentary.

Do you ever comment on the Bible?

Edit: Sorry Cruciform, I didn't know that you had already addressed this point.

Daniel1611

And yet, here you are posting your own personal commentary on the Bible. :doh:

By the way, where does the Bible state that Christians should not read theology or engage in theological discussion? (CLUE: this forum itself is called THEOLOGYonline!)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Discussion, like preaching, is not the same as a theological book.

Cruciform

In fact, all three revolve around specifically theological content.

Also, you "forgot" to post the information I requested. I'll ask again:
"By the way, where does the Bible state that Christians should not read theology or engage in theological discussion?"

glorydaz

I think I know what you meant, and I agree. ;)

Ecclesiastes 12:12KJV
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Sharikov

Realistically, you will self-publish it. I would accept that as a given from the get-go. Theodicy has been approached from every conceivable angle. I even wrote my very own theodicy when I was in seminary eons ago, and I still chuckle to think how absurd it was. If your degrees and occupation have nothing to do with theology, your chances of finding a publisher are zero. I have written for publication and do have a professional degree, but trying to publish a serious work outside of my professional field would be like beating my head against a wall. I do know authors who have had their self-published books picked up by a publisher after the book had already achieved some level of success. I am currently toying with a spiritual memoir myself, but I am approaching it as primarily for my own amusement and edification and with the acceptance that I will self-publish if and when I ever publish at all. The world is so over-run with self-published drivel (and non-self-published drivel) that publishing at all really isn't very appealing to me, but I may. I don't want to be discouraging, but that's the reality. If you're worrying about an author bio and back-cover endorsements, you are light years ahead of yourself.

Daniel1611

In fact, all three revolve around specifically theological content.

Also, you "forgot" to post the information I requested. I'll ask again:
"By the way, where does the Bible state that Christians should not read theology or engage in theological discussion?"

1. Theological books are not like preaching or discussion. Preaching by a good preacher is hearing a man of God expound on the word of God and judging his words by scripture. Discussion is exchange of ideas as guided by scripture. Theological books are some guy, typically claiming to be a Ph.D. or something pretentious, writing down their ideas as if they are gospel in a book to make it look like it's true because it's in black and white.

2. "And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiastes 12:12

3. Theological books are totally unnecessary.

"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him" 1 John 2:17

Instead of spending time reading books by some guy claiming he has the truth because he went to some school or seminary, read the Bible. No books, no commentaries, no study Bibles. Read the Bible. There are a lot of people that read theology books who haven't even read every book in the Bible. I have never heard of any theology book that will teach me anything more than the Bible will. The main difference between theological books and the Bible is that the Bible is the word of God, and other books are the words of men.

Volts

You are writing a book to answer the following questions?
  • Why didn't God create a placid utopia?
  • Why doesn't God directly intervene in every insignificant aspect of our existence?
  • Why does God bring judgment upon the wicked?

I wanted to answer this question: Why does God allow evil?

I don't know if I'll answer the questions you listed?